• filter:

Ohio Titles

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Hello I purchase a car from a man who advertised through Facebook. When my brother and i looked at the car day 1 we decided to buy the car. Paid the man 2000 cash. So we went back on day 3 because he said his friend notarized. Well showed up and he couldn't get in touch with the notary. So the next day we went to get title finalized the man had moved my car and had sanded the car to where u couldn't even tell the original color. He stated he done auto body work and the dents and rust on the car was really bothering him. He said not to worry that he was going to paint it back. But i had to pay for the paint. That i never agreed to doing in the first place. Well after I went home and thought about everything I asked him if he could just change the color from solid white(original color that now wasn't their bc he sanded it) to Blue. He said sure you buy the paint and I will do it for 300$. I agreed to that The next day took him 60$ so he could start it and that if he could buy the paint bc i didn't know much about I would give him the money he paid for paint back. I told him tht I wasn't rich that I would need to pay him the 140$ back to him in payments but tht I would have him completely paid in 4weeks. He said that was fine that he would go ahead and start painting the car once weather allowed him to. 3 long weeks went by I still didnt have the car I paid for. Well he finishes the car and the paint job looks like my grandchild painted and is not anything that I wanted. Well come to find out the cars not in his name its in his minor childs name and in order for me to get my car from him he now has said I owe him a total of 400$ Well My Uncle agreed to give me the rest of the money so i paid him by check. 2days after my uncle gave me the check his acct was shut down due to fraud activity. So when this douche bag owner tries cash check they tell him its no good. Now he has threaten my life and even said i will b in prison for forgery on the title. I have unsigned title and car looks like shit. What can I do at this point?? Please help I am lost but sick of threats but cant afford to lose a car that i have legally own?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I don't mean to be dismissive, but you don't own a car until you have the title to it, anymore than you own a house by just getting the keys. On the other hand, physical possession is better than nothing.

rated:
liquiddreamz said:   Hello I purchase a car from a man who advertised through Facebook. When my brother and i looked at the car day 1 we decided to buy the car. Paid the man 2000 cash. So we went back on day 3 because he said his friend notarized.

You exchange cash for title. Why wait for 3 days. What do you need a notary for. If one is needed in Ohio, why part with the cash till the title is signed over with a notary.

Rest of the story is only adding to first big mistake. Sorry to be blunt.

rated:
If the problem is that the check bounced, give him another check, or cash, or three chickens and a goat. Pay what you agreed to pay and move on with your life.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
liquiddreamz said:   Hello I purchase a car from a man who advertised through Facebook. When my brother and i looked at the car day 1 we decided to buy the car. Paid the man 2000 cash. So we went back on day 3 because he said his friend notarized.
  You exchange cash for title. Why wait for 3 days. What do you need a notary for. If one is needed in Ohio, why part with the cash till the title is signed over with a notary.

Rest of the story is only adding to first big mistake. Sorry to be blunt.

Notary is needed for current owner to sign title over to new owner.
honestly, the title office near me made this a super easy process, vs the DMV which was a PITA.
Pics?

rated:
  Should never have given him all the money if he didn't have the title on the spot, just a small deposit.

rated:
Cliff notes version:   OP is in Ohio and did a private party car swap for $2k cash.  Handed off $2k to the other party (A) without completing the purchase process including title sign-off or bill of sale.  Party A stalls the title process for 3 days or so  and in the meantime party A started to repaint the OP's car.   Seems like the title issue won't be resolved so OP wants the car back but the party A wants $$ for repainting OP's car.

OP - did you give the newly purchased car back to the seller and did they give you your  $2k back?  If not, then just file a police report for fraud and try to get your original car back from them.  I think the seller is lying by saying that the title is in minor's name because I don't think a minor car own a vehicle on their own in OH.

rated:
ach1199 said:   OP is in Ohio and did a private party car swap for $2k cash.  
  No mention of anybody swapping cars in OP's post.

rated:
atikovi said:   
ach1199 said:   OP is in Ohio and did a private party car swap for $2k cash.  
  No mention of anybody swapping cars in OP's post.

You like trolling people don't you?

rated:
ach1199 said:    I think the seller is lying by saying that the title is in minor's name because I don't think a minor car own a vehicle on their own in OH.

Minors can, with certain transaction documentation:

4505.031 Sale or disposal of vehicles involving minors.

Minor Consent Form (PDF)

rated:
I don't get why OP paid upfront without having the title signed in front of notary?

You're gonna need to go to the county title office anyway. So just go there and they will notarize the sale, make sure you have proper odometer statement, pay the title fees, and issue you a new title to complete the process. No way you should pay for the car before getting the keys and notarized title certificate. If seller does not want to go with you to the county title agency then at least only exchange payment for notarized signed title certificate completed.

All the problems after that, stem from the fact that OP does not own anything until seller has signed over the certificate in front of notary.

rated:
Sometimes when people are excited they do things that do not make any sense.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017