• filter:

Massachusetts tax return processing is delayed

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
FYI for Massachuetts filers - 
I filed a (paper) 2016 return over 10 weeks ago. The MA web site says processing should take 8-10 weeks. When I checked my status, it just said it was processing.
I phoned up today and they said that they are running behind 2-3 weeks in processing returns across the board.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
That's pretty ridiculous. Does this affect efile returns?

rated:
wow 10 weeks behind.

rated:
I wonder if they're dealing with a higher than usual number of paper returns due to the shutdown of the Webfile system that used to offer free personal e-filing.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/02/05/massachusetts-drops-its-online-tax-filing-system/nGADnVZWiAOF2fVEcn8HmN/story.html

rated:
Stubtify said:   That's pretty ridiculous. Does this affect efile returns?
  The rep said, "We're 2-3 weeks behind. Wait a couple more weeks." She could have been referring to paper returns only or all returns - not completely clear.

rated:
But you're paying tax right, so isn't that good?

rated:
Still, most people are better off filing on paper these days. Not all by hand, of course.  Rather, use TurboTax or the SW of your choice, generate paper, and stick it in the mail.  Certified if you're pushing a deadline.   Me, I even go with the old-school PC-base TurboTax, not the web version.  Too many e-file / ID theft scams.  

In a recent tax year, the IRS paid out "refunds" to over 700 fictitious taxpayers to a single address in Bulgaria - one address - so, that's the quality of "verification" goin' on.  I doubt that most FWF people are depending on the speed of a tax refund for their next meal - at least I hope so.

Of course, in IL refunds are always late in recent years.  MA can only dream to aspire to the level of IL inefficiencies.  

rated:
rufflesinc said:   But you're paying tax right, so isn't that good?

I don't think this is an anti-tax response. I think Ruffles means that if they're behind and you owe them then this just gives you more time till they cash your check.

rated:
What is this thing called state income taxes you are referring to?

rated:
Stubtify said:   
rufflesinc said:   But you're paying tax right, so isn't that good?

I don't think this is an anti-tax response. I think Ruffles means that if they're behind and you owe them then this just gives you more time till they cash your check.

They cash the check when they receive it.  They're behind in processing the return itself.

rated:
lonestarguy said:   What is this thing called state income taxes you are referring to?
  you couldn't have income taxes low enough to have me live in TX

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
lonestarguy said:   What is this thing called state income taxes you are referring to?
  you couldn't have income taxes low enough to have me live in TX

Quite alright by us. I suspect your passport wouldn't get you into the Republic of Texas anyway.

rated:
I filed on the deadline and got my refund check last week.

rated:
matrix5k said:   I filed on the deadline and got my refund check last week.
  Paper filing or efile? I assume you mean paper check and not direct deposit, correct?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017