• filter:

Activation is now OPEN -Third Quarter Chase Freedom 2017 quarterly 5% categories - Restaurants and movie theaters

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Chase Freedom  third calendar quarter includes Restaurants and movie theaters..

Third calendar quarter is now open. 
or
Sign in to your Freedom account. 

Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: HOT DEALS, DEAL DISCUSSION, FINANCE. — Aug. 22, 2017 @ 12:32am
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Time to sock the Discover in the drawer!

RussellJohnson (Jun. 15, 2017 @ 1:18a) |

True, however, the exact way restaurants is defined matters too. There are several of MCCs that could fall into restaura... (more)

stanolshefski (Jun. 15, 2017 @ 9:17a) |

Restaurants w/ ice cream:
Cold Stone Creamery
Leatherby's

ablang (Jun. 16, 2017 @ 7:16a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Wonder if paying through movie theater apps and the Atom Tickets app count?

rated:
ugh Discover and Chase need to get together and coordinate their rotating categories better

rated:
I wonder if there's any "restaurants" that sell ice cream. Restaurant category sucks, I already get 3x from CSR. No way i can find $3k normal spend at restaurants this quarter

rated:
Bend3r said:   I wonder if there's any "restaurants" that sell ice cream. Restaurant category sucks, I already get 3x from CSR. No way i can find $3k normal spend at restaurants this quarter

LOL.  I got two Discovers and a Freedom.  What a wasted quarter!!! 

rated:
I'll match your two Discovers and raise you Two Freedoms with a US Bank Cash Plus for the Fast Food places.
Where is the Gas 5 percent when it would have value?

rated:
JW10 said:    If you do  not, your are likely to see Summer Fun still.
  What?

rated:
JW10 said:   I'll match your two Discovers and raise you Two Freedoms with a US Bank Cash Plus for the Fast Food places.

I got all that in addition to the wife's AMEX BCP promo where she gets 10% cashback on restaurants.  Been kinda awkward having her pay every time we go out to eat. 

rated:
nwill002 said:   ugh Discover and Chase need to get together and coordinate their rotating categories better
  well since I already have Chase freedom in my wallet because of 5% groceries, it stays in my wallet.
and discover stays in my sock drawer

rated:
nwill002 said:   
JW10 said:   I'll match your two Discovers and raise you Two Freedoms with a US Bank Cash Plus for the Fast Food places.

I got all that in addition to the wife's AMEX BCP promo where she gets 10% cashback on restaurants.  Been kinda awkward having her pay every time we go out to eat. 

Wow.  Yeah, I could make use with a card with 5% at gas stations.  Not as awesome at 5% at Sam's but at least I could buy Amazon.

rated:
mistadeal said:   
JW10 said:    If you do  not, your are likely to see Summer Fun still.
  What?

That statement is no longer the case.
https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/calendar 

rated:
yurgreat said:   
nwill002 said:   ugh Discover and Chase need to get together and coordinate their rotating categories better
  well since I already have Chase freedom in my wallet because of 5% groceries, it stays in my wallet.

While the BJs near me is a fraction of the size of others I've seen, with a much smaller selection of merchandise (because, apparently BJs doesn't believe all members are equal, and they can take advantage of a situation where everything else around where I lives sucks so you don't have much choice.), Discover's current quarterly 5% categories include warehouse clubs, and if you redeem points for gift cards, the points required are generally 10 to 20% less than the standard 1 point=$1 value.

rated:
cows123 said:   
yurgreat said:   
  well since I already have Chase freedom in my wallet because of 5% groceries, it stays in my wallet.

While the BJs near me is a fraction of the size of others I've seen, with a much smaller selection of merchandise (because, apparently BJs doesn't believe all members are equal, and they can take advantage of a situation where everything else around where I lives sucks so you don't have much choice.), Discover's current quarterly 5% categories include warehouse clubs, and if you redeem points for gift cards, the points required are generally 10 to 20% less than the standard 1 point=$1 value.

yeah, I know.. at least a $5 bonus for redeeming gift cards.
but there's nothing I want.
I mostly eat at local restuarants and not chains.
I shop at Walmart.
and they don't have my local supermarket listed

rated:
raceman73 said:   
nwill002 said:   

Wow.  Yeah, I could make use with a card with 5% at gas stations.  Not as awesome at 5% at Sam's but at least I could buy Amazon

Fort Knox FCU always 5% at gas stations. 

rated:

It's at Penfed - well, perhaps grandfathered in.  As I recall at one point you had to open some type of Penfed deposit account to get it.  Things may have changed...

rated:
Restaurants include fast food and small mom & pop eateries right?

rated:
Bend3r said:   I wonder if there's any "restaurants" that sell ice cream. Restaurant category sucks, I already get 3x from CSR. No way i can find $3k normal spend at restaurants this quarter
Good question.  Not sure where you live, but maybe look for restaurant chains with attached gift shops (a la Cracker Barrel, with increased functionality)?   Possibly a better chance?    On second thought, probably a stretch.

rated:
Yawn. Chase's own sapphire reserves gives 3x at restaurants 365 days a year. But best deal for restaurants are costco discounted gift cards

rated:
S197 said:   Restaurants include fast food and small mom & pop eateries right?
  Yes as far as I understand.

rated:
JW10 said:   

I was once told by one card that categories are self designated by the merchant 

rated:
Time to sock the Discover in the drawer!

rated:
cows123 said:   
JW10 said:   

I was once told by one card that categories are self designated by the merchant 

True, however, the exact way restaurants is defined matters too. There are several of MCCs that could fall into restaurants but may not qualify depending on how the CC company defines restaurants.

5812 - Eating places and Restaurants
5814 - Fast Food Restaurants
5813 - Drinking Places (Alcoholic Beverages), Bars, Taverns, Cocktail
lounges, Nightclubs and Discotheques
5811 - Caterers

MCC 5812 and 5814 should always count, but I've been to restaurants that came up as drinking places (5813) and caterers (5811). Some will include 5813 and/or 5811 as a "restaurant" and some won't.

rated:
Restaurants w/ ice cream:
Cold Stone Creamery
Leatherby's

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017