• filter:

Need Advice for medical bill

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Two weeks ago, my mom got hurt so bad in the back, she cant move and in extreme pain and she went to an ER. They run some test, did a CT scan, and say she got muscle spam, give her a shot and prescription to buy medicine. She get better now but still hurt a little. Now, she received the letter said the hospital bill maybe 25k (not an actual bill yet, just the letter), the insurance said they don't pay anything as there is no record of accident prior to the ER visit. 
My mom works at a minimum pay job only 8$/hour and her saving is only around 3k.
What can and should I do to help her in this situation? Should I try to call the insurance? Should I apply Medicaid for her? (Her income is around 10k/year, she didn't apply for medicaid bc she thought she won't qualify as she has buy insurance from work). 
I don't know what to do, so seeking for some advice on what to do now.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
duynguyenstudy said:   Two weeks ago, my mom got hurt so bad in the back, she cant move and in extreme pain and she went to an ER. They run some test, did a CT scan, and say she got muscle spam, give her a shot and prescription to buy medicine. She get better now but still hurt a little. Now, she received the letter said the hospital bill maybe 25k (not an actual bill yet, just the letter), the insurance said they don't pay anything as there is no record of accident prior to the ER visit. 
My mom works at a minimum pay job only 8$/hour and her saving is only around 3k.
What can and should I do to help her in this situation? Should I try to call the insurance? Should I apply Medicaid for her? (Her income is around 10k/year, she didn't apply for medicaid bc she thought she won't qualify as she has buy insurance from work). 
I don't know what to do, so seeking for some advice on what to do now.

How did she get hurt?
"No record of accident" is a bogus reason to decline coverage for an ER visit.
Wait for hospital bill and appeal insurance decision.

rated:
She went to work,slept and when she woke up, she strained some muscle. She couldn't get out of bed, couldn't walk without hurting the back. A letter said "Accident information is needed" in red color.
I haven't called the insurance yet, just received the mail today.

rated:
duynguyenstudy said:   She went to work,slept and when she woke up, she strained some muscle. She couldn't get out of bed, couldn't walk without hurting the back. A letter said "Accident information is needed" in red color.
I haven't called the insurance yet, just received the mail today.

So they are asking for more information about what prompted the ER visit. That is not the same as "they don't pay anything as there is no record of accident prior to the ER visit."

rated:
There could also be suspicion that this may have been a workplace injury and they are trying to deny it and let workers' comp handle it.

Also, as stated earlier, no need to even think about it until you get an EOB.

rated:
tennis8363 said:   There could also be suspicion that this may have been a workplace injury and they are trying to deny it and let workers' comp handle it.

Also, as stated earlier, no need to even think about it until you get an EOB.

This letter seems to be asking for information that would help the carrier subrogate the claim.  

rated:
Is the insurance in question the workplace insurance or your mom's health insurance?

If its your mom's health insurance then its likely a letter asking if she had a workplace injury or not. Those are typical and if you didn't have a workplace injury you just say no and send it back. no problem.

If your mom doesn't actually have her own health insurance and tried to file a claim with the employers insurance as a workplace accident then thats legit they won't pay if she wasn't injured at work.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017