EU data roaming rules go into effect today - Roam like at home

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Roam like at home rules go into effect today in the EU. This means that you will be charged the home rate (not a roaming rate) for the data you use, subject to some limitations. This roam at home provision had already applied to voice & text. The rules apply to pre- and post-paid plans.

This is generally good news for travelers to the EU, who can purchase a prepaid SIM in their country of arrival which can be used in subsequent countries they visit.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/13/eu-data-roaming-charges-to-end-th... 

Here's the EU's FAQ on the topic:
https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/faq/frequently-ask...

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

so I can use AT&T for the same price and in EU?

No.

fatxman said:   so I can use AT&T for the same price and in EU?
  No.  It would be beneficial for someone who lives in Spain and travels to France.  Or for example, you can purchase a SIM in Germany while traveling and use it in Italy without incurring additional fees.

This is awesome. Local sims aren't ideal when you need a different one for each country visited over a short period. This solves the problem.

Just check out the pre paid SIM to make sure that it does have data roaming - some (european) pre paid providers are playing fast and loose (IMHO) with the amount of data they allow you to roam around Europe with... the rules state that the amount of roaming data is based on a (low) percentage of the basic service data you would have in the country the SIM providers operates in - needless to say a number of pre paid providers are saying that data is a bonus rather than part of their basic service...

davork said:   Just check out the pre paid SIM to make sure that it does have data roaming - some (european) pre paid providers are playing fast and loose (IMHO) with the amount of data they allow you to roam around Europe with... the rules state that the amount of roaming data is based on a (low) percentage of the basic service data you would have in the country the SIM providers operates in - needless to say a number of pre paid providers are saying that data is a bonus rather than part of their basic service...
If there's a limit, the carrier has to notify you in advance.
And, there's a minimum the carrier has to provide according to the FAQ I linked to in the OP:

"If your national mobile bundle includes unlimited data, your operator must provide you with a large volume of roam like at home data depending on the price of your mobile bundle.

Your operator should clearly inform you of this roam like at home data allowance. In case you use more data while roaming than the data allowance foresees, you may have to pay a small charge (See also question 21).

If you want to check the operator’s calculation, here is how: the roaming data volume must be at least twice the volume obtained by dividing the price of your mobile bundle (excluding VAT) by €7.7. For your information, €7.7 is the maximum price that your operator has to pay the foreign operator for 1 GB of data when you are abroad in the EU during 2017. This means that you may get more roam like at home data than the volume your operator can purchase with your monthly subscription from the foreign operator whose network you are using abroad.

Example: At home, you have a mobile bundle including unlimited calls, SMS and data for €42 (€35 excluding 20% VAT). When travelling in the EU, you get roam like at home for unlimited calls and SMS, and at least 9.1 GB of data (2*(35 / 7.7) =9.1)."

And, the prepaid providers I've seen (looking in UK & Netherlands) are not putting limits on the data for their cards while roaming as of yesterday.

My end run around all this is to just use t mobile free international roaming, but if I needed lte speed I'd ordered baboyntet a local sim.

TravelerMSY said:   My end run around all this is to just use t mobile free international roaming, but if I needed lte speed I'd ordered baboyntet a local sim.
I just use FreedomPop Global SIM as I don't need more than 1.4 GB (700 MB x 2 SIMs) per month.  

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
TravelerMSY said:   My end run around all this is to just use t mobile free international roaming, but if I needed lte speed I'd ordered baboyntet a local sim.
I just use FreedomPop Global SIM as I don't need more than 1.4 GB (700 MB x 2 SIMs) per month.  

This is not being sold on the FreedomPop site any more, though it is available at Best Buy. The fact that FreedomPop isn't selling it anymore leads me to believe there may be a limited lifetime for support of this product.

ETA: Looks like it is being sold per NoMoneyInMyWallet's post.

BostonOne said:   This is not being sold on the FreedomPop site anymore, though it is available at Best Buy. The fact that FreedomPop isn't selling it anymore leads me to believe there may be a limited lifetime for support of this product.I see it at: https://shop.freedompop.com/products/sim-cards

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
BostonOne said:   This is not being sold on the FreedomPop site anymore, though it is available at Best Buy. The fact that FreedomPop isn't selling it anymore leads me to believe there may be a limited lifetime for support of this product.
I see it at: https://shop.freedompop.com/products/sim-cards

Interesting. This page on their support site says it isn't being sold any more, but apparently it is.

https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3003/~/gl...

I have a prepaid plan in the UK that stays active as long as I make a one minute call at least once every six months. Hopefully something is negotiated before Brexit happens.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017