Best course of action for cancelled Chase card.

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
So Chase just cancelled my Sapphire card due to inactivity for an "extended period of time."

I'm not so concerned about this and read that it has happened to others.

What I'm curious about is the best way to deal with the surrounding aspects of this.
I don't really think I need/want to apply for another Chase card now (I have a Freedom & Marriott and wife has Sapphire Preferred).

What I am curious about is credit limit.  From my recollection, the last card I got from them they approved it only if I was willing to switch around some credit line from another card.

Should I call them and ask them to move the CL from this card over to another one of my cards?  Thing is I don't really use any of my Chase cards much anymore.
I use my Marriott maybe once or twice a quarter and my Freedom only at Costco.  

I'm thinking don't even bother, but OTOH, if I don't do it now perhaps next time I try to get a card they might deny if I don't have the overall limit?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I had the same happen. I let it go but was annoyed they didn't cancel my $1000 Slate card instead. I figure the odds of being rejected for too much credit are just as high as any other reason for me anyway.

I think you're more likely to be auto approved if you're not at your max CL with a bank. Don't bother with it.

If you have applied for 5 or more credit cards in the last 24 months, don't even bother applying for a Chase card.

If it's metal, do not put it through your shredder.

I got the same letter for my Chase Sapphire card, saying they would be closing in in 60 days for extended period of inactivity.

I just called them up and asked them not to, and they said ok.

string3599 said:   If it's metal, do not put it through your shredder.
  I keep all my expired and cancelled cards. One of these days I'll stick them on a wall like wallpaper.

That is the first 60 cancelation letter that I have heard a report of being reversed.  Several reports have indicated once that letter has gone out, that's it.  Happened to my sister.  Even a Chase banker opening a $15000 bank account and a new CC application could not get that reversed.

I got a similar letter for my Chase AARP card (those were the days) a few months ago. The letter said I could not reinstate it if I used it or if I contacted customer service. I didn't even bother calling since I only used to use that card for the 3% on travel, but since I have the CSR, I wasn't going to use it at all.

Why were you paying the AF on your CSP if you never use the card and your wife has one?

My letter said it would still be cancelled even if I used it. It said I could call for more info. When I called they asked me to hold while they checked if it was eligible to keep active. They came back and told me it was.

I've had this account for over 25 years, it started it's life as a Chemical Bank Shell Visa card.

The letter I received for my inactive Chase Sapphire card only said using the card in the next 60 days will not automatically reinstate it, but it said nothing about not being able to salvage it at all.

Accordingly, I simply called customer service and they reinstated the card, with no fuss, no mess.

I'm pretty sure my experience isn't rare - the same thing happened to a friend as well, and a couple of previous posts validate this. I have no data to back this up, but I'm speculating that those who are reporting their accounts were shut down without recourse probably had something else going on that wasn't being specified.

Chase Sapphire is a no fee version of the Sapphire Reserve.

thegazelle said:   Why were you paying the AF on your CSP if you never use the card and your wife has one?
  I wasn't.  The OP is about a Chase Sapphire.  My wife pays the AF on her CSP.

I got a letter that they were cancelling my Freedom card due to inactivity and it was implied that there was no way to extend. I went ahead and charged $10 and then the next day I called customer service anyway. I asked if there was any way to keep the card and the immediately reinstated it.

Might be worth it to charge something small and then call anyway to see if you can save the account.

They cancelled my Marriott card, said I complained about the annual fee, but I never did, I kept the card around for the free annual room voucher and figured that was worth the cost of the annual fee (I think $95).  I called them up when I found out they cancelled and no way to turn it back on - thought this was strange but seems like there MO now.  I still wanted the card, so waiting 24 months to sign back up for bonus, or will sign my wife up.

soccerref said:   They cancelled my Marriott card, said I complained about the annual fee, but I never did, I kept the card around for the free annual room voucher and figured that was worth the cost of the annual fee (I think $95).  I called them up when I found out they cancelled and no way to turn it back on - thought this was strange but seems like there MO now.  I still wanted the card, so waiting 24 months to sign back up for bonus, or will sign my wife up.
  On the Southwest card it is 24 months from the last date you got the bonus, not the date the last card was closed. So you might be eligible again for the Marriott bonus depending on what the terms are.

JW10 said:   That is the first 60 cancelation letter that I have heard a report of being reversed.  Several reports have indicated once that letter has gone out, that's it.  Happened to my sister.  Even a Chase banker opening a $15000 bank account and a new CC application could not get that reversed.
  I've had a couple reversed, but that was 5+ years ago

atikovi said:   
string3599 said:   If it's metal, do not put it through your shredder.
  I keep all my expired and cancelled cards. One of these days I'll stick them on a wall like wallpaper.

  the only one i'm keeping long term is the amex plat with expiration date 04/20   



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017