• filter:

TD Ameritrade Credit card new member deal - $150 if you charge $500 within 90 days (Dead)

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
You also get accruing rewards as well that can be applied to balance or get a check.

$150 cash back – offer expires August 31
  2% cash back on dining purchases
  1% cash back on all other purchases
  $0 foreign transaction fee
  $0 annual fee

https://m.tdbank.com/tdcashcard.html

Member Summary

Bat man (585.95kB)
Thanks polishdreamer
Disclaimer

TD Ameritrade (23.17kB)
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I agree, the quantity/quality of deals being posted has dropped. There are some people that put a value on the return on... (more)

telflonmail (Jun. 23, 2017 @ 9:46a) |

The decline in deals being posted is due to a decline in decent offers.  And history has shown that when publicized (her... (more)

Glitch99 (Jun. 23, 2017 @ 10:34a) |

I've never understood the minimum spend to bonus ratio that people calculate all the time. It means, literally, nothing.... (more)

jaytrader (Jun. 23, 2017 @ 10:41a) |

CT,DC,DE,FL,MA,MD,ME,NC,NH,NJ,NY,PA,RI,SC,VA,VT ONLY
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Seems like it dead

rated:
When did you get the rewards? After 90 days or as soon as you charged $500?

rated:
Tried applying for the same and noticed that it is not available in all states. GA is not part of dropdown.

rated:
Thanks.

rated:
 When Gone now.gone

rated:
polishdreamer said:   It's basically a free $150 with no annual fee so what exactly is at risk ??Chase 5/24.

rated:
polishdreamer said:   
Argyll said:   When did you get the rewards? After 90 days or as soon as you charged $500?

You have up to 90 days to charge $500, then you call up customer service and they'll transfer you over to rewards. The 5-7 business days for it to reflect on my statement afterwards. It's basically a free $150 with no annual fee so what exactly is at risk ?? Like I said I rang up some other charges and got ~$50 more in rewards all applied immediately (5-7 B-days) for a little over $200 total. It's unbelievable.

Many other cards apply the reward bonus without having to ask, transfer rewards faster, and you can do it online.

Again, do you get the rewards as soon as $500 is charged or do you have to wait 90 days?

Thanks.

rated:
According to the terms, you shouldn't need to call, the rewards will appear on their own once conditions have been met.

Thanks OP. I got:

"Your application is done – what's next?
You'll receive your application decision by mail in 7-10 days"

Anyone else get same message (as opposed to immediate approval).

rated:
A hard pull is far more valuable than $150, IMO.

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
polishdreamer said:   It's basically a free $150 with no annual fee so what exactly is at risk ??
Chase 5/24.

Apart from not being able to apply for Chase cards if you have more than 5 inquiries in 24 months, your credit score is also at risk.
Applying for a card will cause a hard credit pull, which will lower your FICO score temporarily, That can affect applications for other cards, as well as you car insurance premiums, mortgage or car loan applications etc.

There are so many good offers out there that it's rarely worth getting a new card for only a $150 bonus.
For example, Chase Sapphire Preferred just had a $500 bonus for $4k spend within 90 days. You can churn the card every 2 years for another bonus. Aadvantage Platinum Select offers 60K American airmiles for $3K spend in 90 days. That's easily worth $400- $500 as well.

The $150 bonus might be OK if you can't meet those minimum spend requirements.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
polishdreamer said:   It's basically a free $150 with no annual fee so what exactly is at risk ??
Chase 5/24.

Apart from not being able to apply for Chase cards if you have more than 5 inquiries in 24 months, your credit score is also at risk.
Applying for a card will cause a hard credit pull, which will lower your FICO score temporarily, That can affect applications for other cards, as well as you car insurance premiums, mortgage or car loan applications etc.

There are so many good offers out there that it's rarely worth getting a new card for only a $150 bonus.
For example, Chase Sapphire Preferred just had a $500 bonus for $4k spend within 90 days. You can churn the card every 2 years for another bonus. Aadvantage Platinum Select offers 60K American airmiles for $3K spend in 90 days. That's easily worth $400- $500 as well.

Please let me know what other ones you have seen. Most of the ones I've used are in the 150-200 range. Credit score is right at 800.
I don't fly so miles aren't much use for me.
The Chase Sapphire card has a $95 annual fee which kind of defeats the point unless you are willing to cancel it and take the hit.

rated:
Carbine78 said:   
canoeguy1 said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
Chase 5/24.

Please let me know what other ones you have seen. Most of the ones I've used are in the 150-200 range. Credit score is right at 800.
I don't fly so miles aren't much use for me.
The Chase Sapphire card has a $95 annual fee which kind of defeats the point unless you are willing to cancel it and take the hit.

The $95 annual fee is usually waived for the first year, so if you cancel after a few months, there's no fee.
You don't take a hit on cancellation (except that your credit history will be slightly shorter-but that's no different than if you didn't get the card at all). You take a hit on application. Just cancel the card after half a year or so, wait 2 years, then reapply. Have your wife do the same thing, and you're pulling in approx $400 per year from this card alone.

Citi Thankyou Premier is another good card. You currently get $300 after $3k spend. However, it's always best to check forums and see what past offers have been. These cards often give out better bonuses for short periods of time. You just have to catch it at the right moment. We got $500 each for that card.
Amex Premier Rewards Gold gives you $250 for 2k spend. Again, these offers are often better for short periods. I believe we got $400 for that card.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   

$150 for $500 spending is a 30% bonus.    

$500 for $4000 spending is a 12.5% bonus.. 

rated:
Argyll said:   
canoeguy1 said:   

Yes it is, but it's irrelevant.
What you're forgetting is the negative effects of the hard credit pull.
In a perfect world, you could apply for all the cards and collect every bonus.
If you're limited to only a few, and you normally put $1500 per month on your credit cards anyway, would you rather get $500 or $150?

rated:
Hard pull or no, I'll take this kind of offer over "Get $10 credit when you go through these steps..." deals anyday.

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1572068 

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
Chase 5/24.

Isn't that 5 Chase CC's? 

rated:
needhelpplease said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
Chase 5/24.

Isn't that 5 Chase CC's? 

Nope.  5/24 = 5 non-business cards from anyone.

rated:
Argyll said:   
canoeguy1 said:   

I'm not sure what that matters, honestly. What matters is what you get paid for the hard pull. Is $150 or $500 better?

The spending requirement is so easy to hit, even if you have 1/8 the requirement in normal spending. Just some googling or searching around the forum will yield results in minutes.  

rated:
States: CT,DC,DE,FL,MA,MD,ME,NC,NH,NJ,NY,PA,RI,SC,VA,VT

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
Chase 5/24.

Look for Annual fees kill the deal.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   
Argyll said:   
canoeguy1 said:   

Yes it is, but it's irrelevant.
What you're forgetting is the negative effects of the hard credit pull.
In a perfect world, you could apply for all the cards and collect every bonus.
If you're limited to only a few, and you normally put $1500 per month on your credit cards anyway, would you rather get $500 or $150?

Check if they have annual fees.

rated:
polishdreamer said:   canoeguy1 said:   There are so many good offers out there that it's rarely worth getting a new card for only a $150 bonus.
Look for Annual fees with Chase, lookout for it.
Both of the cards mentioned waive the AF the first year.  Apply, spend, earn bonus, cancel. 

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
polishdreamer said:   
canoeguy1 said:   There are so many good offers out there that it's rarely worth getting a new card for only a $150 bonus.

Look for Annual fees with Chase, lookout for it.

Both of the cards mentioned waive the AF the first year.  Apply, spend, earn bonus, cancel. 

When do they take the fees ? Do the fees ever end ??

rated:
motsuka said:   States: CT,DC,DE,FL,MA,MD,ME,NC,NH,NJ,NY,PA,RI,SC,VA,VT
  only?

rated:
never traveled

rated:
jaytrader said:   A hard pull is far more valuable than $150

You are right 

rated:
polishdreamer said:   motsuka said:   States: CT,DC,DE,FL,MA,MD,ME,NC,NH,NJ,NY,PA,RI,SC,VA,VTI've been to seven of these states, who's got more ??I've been to all in the list.

P.S. DC is not a state.

rated:
From the terms:

Is there a One-Time Bonus Offer available for new Accounts? • Yes. If you are approved for an Account in response to this specific offer, you are eligible to earn a One-Time Bonus Offer ("One-Time Bonus Offer") of 15,000 Bonus Points which can be redeemed for $150 Cash Back if you spend $500 in total Purchases using the Account within 90 days of the Account opening date. This One-Time Bonus can be redeemed for Cash Back or a variety of gift cards, merchandise or travel. • Provided your Account is open and in good standing, the 15,000 Bonus Points will be reflected on your Account within 6 to 8 weeks after you have met the eligibility criteria. • This One-Time Bonus Offer is not available if you open an account in response to a different offer that you may receive from us or if you previously received a One-Time Bonus Offer on this Account or any other account with us.

rated:
polishdreamer said:   
jaytrader said:   A hard pull is far more valuable than $150, IMO.
  It's one Transunion pull, don't jump off a cliff for it. Another positive attribute is after 90 days and if you keep your balance below 20% of the available credit, your credit score will bounce back to higher than before. I grabbed 25 more points up to nearly perfect just with this card, I did nothing else at all. So figure some benefits after the hit.

I'm so confused by your comments here, in your own thread. You're clearly a newbie when it comes to CC bonuses, churns, etc. otherwise you wouldn't have such an attitude. I mean that in the most gracious way possible. $150 for ANY CRA hard pull is not worth it, when there are bonuses out there that net far more. Even if you had to pay $99 and the AF wasn't waived, wouldn't you rather net $401 (on a 50,000 point or $500 bonus) than $150? Your attitude and argument makes no sense. The fact that you imply that a Transunion hard pull is not as valuable as any other CRA clearly shows your ignorance on the topic.

rated:
polishdreamer said:   
motsuka said:   States: CT,DC,DE,FL,MA,MD,ME,NC,NH,NJ,NY,PA,RI,SC,VA,VT
  I've been to seven of these states, who's got more ??

hmm . I have a TD brokerage acct. in AZ. 

rated:
polishdreamer said:   
Argyll said:   When did you get the rewards? After 90 days or as soon as you charged $500?

You have up to 90 days to charge $500, then you call up customer service and they'll transfer you over to rewards. The 5-7 business days for it to reflect on my statement afterwards. It's basically a free $150 with no annual fee so what exactly is at risk ?? Like I said I rang up some other charges and got ~$50 more in rewards all applied immediately (5-7 B-days) for a little over $200 total. It's unbelievable.

You've been at FatWallet for 14 years, and you think this is "unbelievable"?  It's actually rather weak, compared to other offers.

rated:
Argyll said:   
polishdreamer said:   

Many other cards apply the reward bonus without having to ask, transfer rewards faster, and you can do it online.

Again, do you get the rewards as soon as $500 is charged or do you have to wait 90 days?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure he meant that the bonus credited to his reward account automatically (and I believe after the spending qualifier was met), but you need to call to redeem your cashback.

rated:
Glitch99 said:   
polishdreamer said:   

You have up to 90 days to charge $500, then you call up customer service and they'll transfer you over to rewards. The 5-7 business days for it to reflect on my statement afterwards. It's basically a free $150 with no annual fee so what exactly is at risk ?? Like I said I rang up some other charges and got ~$50 more in rewards all applied immediately (5-7 B-days) for a little over $200 total. 

~$50 more in rewards??

rated:
how did you get ~$50 more in rewards??

rated:
needhelpplease said:   how did you get ~$50 more in rewards??
  I spent enough to get it.

rated:
polishdreamer said:   
needhelpplease said:   
Glitch99 said:   
polishdreamer said:   

You have up to 90 days to charge $500, then you call up customer service and they'll transfer you over to rewards. The 5-7 business days for it to reflect on my statement afterwards. It's basically a free $150 with no annual fee so what exactly is at risk ?? Like I said I rang up some other charges and got ~$50 more in rewards all applied immediately (5-7 B-days) for a little over $200 total. 

~$50 more in rewards??

Yes exactly. I hope the people who can't get approved for this that thread crap here can get a real job. You were warned about staying in school, now get a life.

LOL. I think you need a reality check, pal. That kind of attitude doesn't go well long term here. 

....mike, is that you?

rated:
jaytrader said:   
polishdreamer said:   
needhelpplease said:   
Glitch99 said:   
polishdreamer said:   

~$50 more in rewards??

Yes exactly. I hope the people who can't get approved for this that thread crap here can get a real job. You were warned about staying in school, now get a life.

LOL. I think you need a reality check, pal. That kind of attitude doesn't go well long term here. 

....mike, is that you?

No point feeding the troll. Just report him and his post will be removed.

rated:
polishdreamer said:   

Most people here who "can't get approved" can't because they used the last incarnation of this card to harvest thousands of dollars of rewards...

Skipping 10 Messages...
rated:
telflonmail said:   
libralibra said:   
jaytrader said:   Strange.
Not really.  I think there are a group of deal snobs on this forum that like to ridicule others and talk down to them.  I think that's why the quantity/quality of deals being posted has dropped over time.  People just don't want to deal with it.

Not every deal is going to be right for every person.  In this case, not every person can qualify for the premium cards with $500 bonuses, or can to deal with the 3-4k spending requirement. 

I agree, the quantity/quality of deals being posted has dropped. There are some people that put a value on the return on a hard pull (and decease of usually 2 points in credit score) that will be visible for 2 year (aka 24 months). To each their own - but don't shove it my face every time. Not every deal is going to be right for every person and you have the right to do a less valuable deal (less valuable as determined by someone else ).

This deal is ok (on my bad/so-so/ok/great scale) as it requires low minimum spend (500 vs 4,000+) and is equivalent to 31% (signup bonus + 1% cash back on 500). It would be better if it had 0% 12 month purchase rate. It would be better if the sign up bonus was higher, of course, which it was when I took advantage of it last year through a mailer promotion for 200 sign up bonus. I used the cash back as statement credit.

I've never understood the minimum spend to bonus ratio that people calculate all the time. It means, literally, nothing. $500 min spend is great, but the bonus sucks. I'd much rather have a $5000 min spend requirement for a $500 bonus. The spending is so easy to hit in this day and age, even via a fee method.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017