Best Premium Checking account?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Any opinions on the best Premium checking account? These are the options I am aware of:
- Wells Fargo Portfolio Account
- Citi Gold
- Chase Private Client

Thanks

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Not as high end as the others but Bank of America has there preferred rewards as well. My experience with them has been great so far.

I am wondering this too

What would be the highest interest paying checking account without requirements like in rewards checking?

The best I was able to find was Ally Bank with 0.65% interest rate

Anything better?

Nationwide bank has 1.15% for 10k and up balances for checking. 1.00 for less than 10k. No ATM debit usage requirements.

In what context do you mean 'best'?

Most interest? (Ally for an unlimited balance)
Most fees avoided? (Chase)
Most locations? (Depends on where you live.)

The question's way too vague to answer without knowing more of your goals.

fleetwoodmac said:   I am wondering this too

What would be the highest interest paying checking account without requirements like in rewards checking?

The best I was able to find was Ally Bank with 0.65% interest rate

Anything better?

Bank5 is 0.76 for Checking

http://www.bank5connect.com/home/high-interest-checking 

This is my wish list:

- Refund any atm fees and avoid any atm fees
- No fee cashiers checks
- No fee wires? (maybe asking too much)
- No fee checks

Nice to have features:
- Include a trading account with low commissions.. Fidelity commissions are $4.99 per trade
- Provide investment advice at a competitive rate. Anything over 1% is too much

I'll give you the best investment advice -- Lazy Portfolios. Please send me 0.099% of your investable assets as my fee.

How often do you pay ATM fees? How many cashiers checks, wires, and checks do you go through per year? Did you know that online billpay is free? Pretty sure Chase offers free wire transfers online, but there's a $ limit (I think somewhere around $30K, can't find the details).

Just trying to gauge the value you're trying to extract from that "premium."

LoveRebates said:   - Refund any atm fees and avoid any atm fees

Who does this anymore? Once McDonalds started taking credit cards, I never had to get cash from an ATM machine ever again. If you're spending cash from the ATM, then you're losing out on credit card rewards.

Some places require min purchase amounts with credit cards, don't accept credit cards or charge less money for cash purchases with credit card.

LoveRebates said:   This is my wish list:

- Refund any atm fees and avoid any atm fees
- No fee cashiers checks
- No fee wires? (maybe asking too much)
- No fee checks

Nice to have features:
- Include a trading account with low commissions.. Fidelity commissions are $4.99 per trade
- Provide investment advice at a competitive rate. Anything over 1% is too much

Top Tier BOA Preferred Rewards meets many of it.  Free checks, cashier checks, ATM rebate, $0 trade at Merrill Edge.  No free wires though.  Even outbound ACH cost money which is the one thing I wish they change.

Chase meets all of it except for the investment stuff. The CPC checking account has no fees for anything, including checks and wires. It technically only refunds 5 ATM transactions a month, but I hear there is some flexibility for that if you call your banker and accidentally go over one month.

Chase's trading account has very high commissions and their investment advice is well over 1%. But you can move other assets in kind and just hold them there with no other fee.

Happy with preferred rewards also, one time I needed wire manager waived fee normal $35, free check ,cashier check and trading

Fidelity fits all of my needs.

Second endorsement for Bank of America Preferred Rewards. I use Alliant as a hub or I use the free checks and my smartphone to transfer money to Alliant for higher interest.

First Republic customer service is excellent. It's not cheap, though. Unless your liquid cash/emergency fund is over $250k, I wouldn't bother.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017