• filter:

Car after-warranty Honda Service Plans (2018 car/minivan with technology)

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
So I know the Finance forum is usually against service plans, but I wanted to see if this advice has changed now that cars are increasingly more and more technological.

The Car-
Honda 2018 Minivan (new model year) with Navigation, rear Entertainment, and a huge touchscreen in dash for controls.
Service plan- run by Zurich.  $1600, 5yrs, 125,000 miles (I drive 30-40k a year, so mileage is more important than years).  This plan can use a lot more service places and includes sensors. Dealership claims they are selling to me at cost +$100. they've been pretty transparent so far, even offering me the best price I could find in the quad-state area.
Standard Honda warranty is 36,000miles bumper to bumper.
Offers 5yrs of roadside assisstance, etc (I currently have AAA, so this could amortize it a little).

I can also get a HondaCare program from Saccucci Honda for more limiting coverage (up to 120k miles) for about $1300 ($100 deductible).  

Here's my rationale.
This car has a TON more tech than any car I've ever had (auto door, tv screens, center console, remote start, etc). I can't see any repair on this being less than $1000.  

The cons:
I bought a Honda Pilot in 2006 brand new and drove it 250,000 miles with not one repair (I do mostly highway driving), but that had far less tech.
I bought a Hyundai Sante Fee in 2001 and drove it 200,000 miles with minimal repairs.

I guess it comes down to the following.  Do I think any major repairs will be needed between 36,000 and 125,000 miles (which for me will likely be between year 2 and 4 of the vehicle for me).  

Thoughts?
Are new model year cars more prone to repairs?
Does tech last pretty well on new cars?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
To put things simply, the entire reason a "service plan" exists is to make a profit. They aren't there to be good Samaritans and help people out with expenses. So they are always betting on you not needing the service, and often times if you DO need service you have to argue and pull teeth to justify it.

If by some means you can tell the future - or if you are known for screwing things up that are covered under warranty - then by all means.

rated:
Zurich is huge and certainly has a better rep than most of the outfits offering service plans, but still, if I were going to get a service plan or extended warranty, I'd want the one offered by the manufacturer, just for the ease of use.

Over the years I've softened my opposition to service plans a bit, although I still have yet to buy one for anything, including my 2017 Kia with BSD, pano roof, lane change, etc. Even with the tech, most all cars are very reliable these days, and that's why I decided to pass earlier this year when I bought new.

Another option is to wait a couple of years when the basic part of the warranty is about to expire and then look into something if you have experienced any bad vibes about the car at all. I haven't checked for a while but Honda used to offer "lesser" plans for older vehicles.

btw, my other ride is an '09 Grand Caravan with power sliders and it's been reliable at 170,000 miles. A plan would have been wasted on it.

Congrats on the new van!

rated:
If you get a plan, hondacare is the absolute best. It basically extends your normal warranty.
For me, when I started having problems with the electronics (due to a faulty Alternator burning out everything), it more than paid for itself.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   If you get a plan, hondacare is the absolute best. It basically extends your normal warranty.
For me, when I started having problems with the electronics (due to a faulty Alternator burning out everything), it more than paid for itself.

Agreed. I bought Acuracar for a car, never used it, but they issued a pro-rated refund when I sold the car!

rated:
jcb193 said:   Do I think any major repairs will be needed between 36,000 and 125,000 miles (which for me will likely be between year 2 and 4 of the vehicle for me).  

Thoughts?

I'd think tech breaks down more with time than miles since no/few moving parts. You're not buying a Mercedes or Jaguar but if it helps you sleep better at night, get it.

rated:
Do you foresee being so cash strapped in the future that you can't repair for repairs on your own? If yes then get the hondacare, if not then don't worry about it.

rated:
This is somewhat off topic, but how much did you pay for your 2018 Odyssey versus MSRP? I'm also considering purchasing that vehicle.

rated:
jcb193 said:   So I know the Finance forum is usually against service plans, but I wanted to see if this advice has changed now that cars are increasingly more and more technological.

The Car-
Honda 2018 Minivan (new model year) with Navigation, rear Entertainment, and a huge touchscreen in dash for controls.
Service plan- run by Zurich.  $1600, 5yrs, 125,000 miles (I drive 30-40k a year, so mileage is more important than years).  This plan can use a lot more service places and includes sensors. Dealership claims they are selling to me at cost +$100. they've been pretty transparent so far, even offering me the best price I could find in the quad-state area.
Standard Honda warranty is 36,000miles bumper to bumper.
Offers 5yrs of roadside assisstance, etc (I currently have AAA, so this could amortize it a little).

I can also get a HondaCare program from Saccucci Honda for more limiting coverage (up to 120k miles) for about $1300 ($100 deductible).  

Here's my rationale.
This car has a TON more tech than any car I've ever had (auto door, tv screens, center console, remote start, etc). I can't see any repair on this being less than $1000.  

The cons:
I bought a Honda Pilot in 2006 brand new and drove it 250,000 miles with not one repair (I do mostly highway driving), but that had far less tech.
I bought a Hyundai Sante Fee in 2001 and drove it 200,000 miles with minimal repairs.

I guess it comes down to the following.  Do I think any major repairs will be needed between 36,000 and 125,000 miles (which for me will likely be between year 2 and 4 of the vehicle for me).  

Thoughts?

Do you think Zurich offers this insurance at this premium cost assuming they will lose money statistically? (that is having to pay in repair more than the premium). if yes, then why are they offering a product they think will lose them money?

Add the profit from the dealership or third party. Statistically you're likely to pay less by not taking the extended warranty. If you think you know the odds better or you know you have a history of not being gentle on your vehicles or not doing maintenance, then maybe go for the peace of mind premium. Just make sure to look carefully at what is covered in each plan you're considering. 

rated:
I was in this situation couple years ago and went ahead with buying Honda Care + Honda Maintenance at Sacucci. 96 months 120k miles for Honda Care; 48 months 60k miles for Honda Maintenance; $1300 + $800. No need to use the Honda Care. Been using the Maintenance Plan....It covers the regular oil changes + tire rotations - these are not costly items....but it covers one Transmission Flush within the 60k miles and then covers major service minders that come up for 30K and 60K...and I anticipate to break even on that. If you are talking of the Touring Elite model, then I would say yes go for the "Honda Care"...because the amount of technology, computer chips, sensors, gadgets, vaccum cleaner, Rear entertainment system, etc., are all costly things to get repaired...and it's a $50k car...

rated:
Hondas are pretty solid... even with all the tech, I can't imagine much breaking in 5 years/125k miles. You're also overestimating the cost of repairs, IMHO; the things that are most likely to break aren't nearly that expensive even at the dealer.

rated:
By the time the "tech" breaks, it will be outdated and you won't want to use it anyway. Not to mention, most of the tech you mention isn't essential to the proper running of the car.

rated:
sloth911 said:   .... I bought Acuracar for a car, never used it, but they issued a pro-rated refund when I sold the car!
  Excellent point. I stopped owning 2 Hondas (1 sold & 1 totaled AOG) at ~5 yrs old. I received 65% of purchase price of the Hondacare warranties back. Quite a surprise the 1st time.

rated:
Would not touch ANYTHING other than Honda Care. I have a 2009 Accord and have several things covered under Honda Care, specially in the last year of coverage. A couple of sticky calipers (and pads/rotors since it was the caliper's fault) and power window actuator and switch are a couple that I remember of the top of my head.

BTW, the difference with the 0 deductible is pretty small, so it's worth it. Also check Hyannis. Stop by odyclub.com discussing it.

Hyannis 8yrs 120K zero deductible (Plan D82) is $1295

rated:
Some more off topic questions:
1. Did you buy the van already?
2. Are you using it for your job?
3. What type of driving? Highway or City?

rated:

So I know the Finance forum is usually against service plans, but I wanted to see if this advice has changed now that cars are increasingly more and more technological.

What?

The argument against service plans is completely independent of technology. Nobody offers a service plan to you unless they think they will make money off of it.

There's some weird shilling for a particular service plan in this thread; at best, it's entirely survivorship bias.

rated:
Logic tells me I don't need extended warranties on new Civics. I buy Honda Care warranties in case **** goes sideways. Never has with Civics but has in many other ways. I'm buying peace of mind. Doesn't hurt Honda refunds most of it after I go on to my next Civic.

rated:
I got the extended warranty for a new odyssey model in 2011 (last time it changed - first year product) for 7 years and 100 k miles and 0% deductible at a cost of $1800. At 6.5 years, with 92,000 miles, it has covered a total of $4200, none electronics. Too many little bugs in an updated production model. Too each his own, but be careful of long term issues, especially with the 9 and 10 speed transmissions they came out with. They already had trouble with the ZF that were in the Pilot, so now they are done in-house, sonsure to have bugs in it.

rated:
get a vehicle that comes with a 5yr/60k warranty.

befriend a retired tech.

do all maintenance yourself or through retired tech. (don't want anybody recording your odometer).

pay retired tech. for any minor repairs (same as above)

if something major were to go wrong (within 5 yrs.), pay retired tech for mileage adjustment (< 60k).

enjoy free repair(s).

repeat as necessary.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017