Car was rear-ended: diminished value and time off of work

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I was rear ended on the highway at low speed (stop and go traffic).  Both cars drivable, the person who rear ended me got a ticket, nothing for me.  I'm working with insurance to get my car fixed, etc.

My car is worth ~12k.  I was planning on selling/trading it in in 12-18 months, though now I may have to keep it for longer due an accident on its history.  How hard is it to claim diminished value?  Do I ask my insurance company for it (and they get it from the other persons)?  Anyone with recent experience?

Also, I am taking today off of work (accident was yesterday) using a PTO day due to a sore neck/back and wanting to recuperate.  Can I claim my hourly rate x 8 hours as well?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Read the diminished value thread. All the information you need is in there.

Go see a doctor, or chiropractor at minimum, to document your pain. Nothing documented will not get paid out. You'll have to fight for it.

Just taking a PTO doesn't pay, gotta get a doctor to write down you need to take a PTO.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017