• filter:

AAA auto insurance rate increase question

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I currently have AAA (membership+auto+renter). My membership and renter haven't changed this year but auto increased by 27%. This is due to general rate increase in my area (I called them and asked). I also asked for quotes from Wawanesa and Liberty Mutual for the best rates and they are ~$50 cheaper (annually). I have already paid my AAA membership ($56) and renter's premium for 2017. Should I switch to Wawanesa or Liberty Mutual to save ~$50 annually? If I decide to switch and cancel my AAA, can I request for refund of my 2017 membership and renter's premium that I have already paid?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
SinbadS said:   I currently have AAA (membership+auto+renter). My membership and renter haven't changed this year but auto increased by 27%. This is due to general rate increase in my area (I called them and asked). I also asked for quotes from Wawanesa and Liberty Mutual for the best rates and they are ~$50 cheaper (annually). I have already paid my AAA membership ($56) and renter's premium for 2017. Should I switch to Wawanesa or Liberty Mutual to save ~$50 annually? If I decide to switch and cancel my AAA, can I request for refund of my 2017 membership and renter's premium that I have already paid?
  Check whether you are getting a "multi-policy" discount and whether that would go away when you cancel the auto with AAA.

If you do switch, you should get a prorated refund of the premium paid. There may be an administrative fee (check) although I have not encountered it.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
SinbadS said:   I currently have AAA (membership+auto+renter). My membership and renter haven't changed this year but auto increased by 27%. This is due to general rate increase in my area (I called them and asked). I also asked for quotes from Wawanesa and Liberty Mutual for the best rates and they are ~$50 cheaper (annually). I have already paid my AAA membership ($56) and renter's premium for 2017. Should I switch to Wawanesa or Liberty Mutual to save ~$50 annually? If I decide to switch and cancel my AAA, can I request for refund of my 2017 membership and renter's premium that I have already paid?
  Check whether you are getting a "multi-policy" discount and whether that would go away when you cancel the auto with AAA.

If you do switch, you should get a prorated refund of the premium paid. There may be an administrative fee (check) although I have not encountered it.

I have multi-policy discount with AAA already. Do I also get a prorated refund of my membership from AAA?

rated:
SinbadS said:     I have multi-policy discount with AAA already. Do I also get a prorated refund of my membership from AAA?
  You will have to check with your AAA. Note that you really have a membership in your local/regional AAA club and the their rules govern.

rated:
$50 cheaper annually is nothing. The new company is likely giving you a discounted first year rate - after the first year you will likely see a big increase. Insurance companies do this all the time to bait people into switching.

I'd just stay the course.

rated:
I have AAA and my auto rates also increased this year. This is in the midwest. I called around and got other rates. Most were the same or <$50 to switch. I decided to stay with them because the home owners claim was so much easier than the one I had on my rental property that is insured by Farmers.

I did call and ask if they could lower it to be closer to the other rates and they said they couldn't. But the rep did notice that our car policy didn't have the multi-policy discount applied to he added that.

rated:
  Did you check with Geico?

rated:
prosperity said:   $50 cheaper annually is nothing. The new company is likely giving you a discounted first year rate - after the first year you will likely see a big increase. Insurance companies do this all the time to bait people into switching.

I'd just stay the course.

What you say is true but that is no reason to stay the course. OP already has done the work of getting quotes; switching now and pocketing $50 should be easy.

It is unfortunate that we need to play the game of switching to get the best prices. But that seems to be how it works.

rated:
Don't forget, you're also getting the benefits of the AAA membership for that $50. Personally, I don't value that very much, but if you do then it may make a difference in your decision.

rated:
I would not switch carriers for $50.

As for a refund of your AAA membership, are you doing that because you will have emergency road service with the new insurance carrier?  Some people recommend keeping AAA so that you aren't involving your auto insurer in a simple roadside assistance claim.  For that matter, there's no reason to automatically switch your rental coverage either.  Some companies are more competitively priced for different kind of coverage, and a carrier that is best for auto may not be the best for home or renters insurance.  Sometimes the more competitive rate from a different carrier can more than offset the multi-policy discount you may be getting.

rated:
AAA in Arizona and the rate goes up every year with no claims.

rated:
The Ol' "Oh we're increasing everyone's rates in x area" is the same classic bullshit in an attempt to justify it. It's really just a matter of them playing a game of chicken and saying "I bet 98% of our customers won't leave if we do this, but it will bring in 27% more revenue.

Do what every half-intelligent FWF user does and switch providers either every 6 months or 12 months. It keeps them in check.

rated:
justignoredem said:   Do what every half-intelligent FWF user does and switch providers either every 6 months or 12 months. It keeps them in check.
What happens to so called perks like "accident forgiveness" when you switch?

rated:
marcopolomle said:   
justignoredem said:   Do what every half-intelligent FWF user does and switch providers either every 6 months or 12 months. It keeps them in check.

Well if you like paying higher rates each year, I'm sure that 'accident forgiveness' is worth it.....not

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
marcopolomle said:   

Well if you like paying higher rates each year, I'm sure that 'accident forgiveness' is worth it.....not

What I was implying that is saving $50 annually worth losing "accident forgiveness"?

rated:
Well considering it's AAA, they really don't have 'accident forgiveness', that's a Liberty Mutual kind of 'promotion/scam'

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017