• filter:

update: Aetna dental savings plans - 20% off thru July 24

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Update:  "sale"extended through 7/24,for Aetna plans.  See website for promo code.  http://aetnadentaloffers.com/discount-dental-plans/plans?affid=1...

++++

Last year, BenH initiated a very informative thread on dental savings plans (DSPs) vs. traditional insurance.  See:  https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=52&threadid=1539011   FWIW, I'd like to add the following:

1.  deleted

2.  Historically, I didn't buy dental insurance, because I didn't think it was a good deal, premiums vs. limited/capped benefits, plus our family dentist charged very reasonable rates.  Fast forward a few years, our dentist retired and we had to find a new provider.  After experiencing some sticker shock at the rates some local dentists are charging, I found one that I thought was reasonable, tried her out for an exam and was very happy with quality of service.  I needed some follow-up work, and the office manager mentioned that the dentist participated in the Aetna Access DSP.  I did some research and found that the plan would get me roughly 50% off this dentist's rates.  For example, her regular rate for a 3-surface resin composite is $266, while the rate w/ the DSP is only $133.  So,, at only $164 per year for family coverage, the DSP easily and quickly pays for itself.  No brainer for me.

TL;DR -- I'm sold on DSPs as a way to reduce costs.  I also think it's pretty easy, in the big scheme of things, to "test drive" a participating dentist if you have a DSP.  So, if you're not happy, you're not out much $ and you can try out another one.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Just a reminder that all the prices on the DentalPlans.com website are advertised as $20 less than the actual cost.

rated:
The first result in my area - Delta Dental Patient Direct, was advertised at $118.96/yr single and $152.96/yr family.

You can purchase this directly from Delta Dental for $80/yr (individual or family does not matter).

Shop around for sure.

That being said, the potential cost savings are real for these plans (I've had Delta Dental Patient Direct for 2 years now).

rated:
So does my dentist have to be listed to get the discount rates?

rated:
lotusgardener said:   So does my dentist have to be listed to get the discount rates?
Yea, to get the plan rates, your dentist would need to be listed.
http://www.dentalplans.com/dentalsearch/howtofinddentists  

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017