• filter:

Your MasterCard Extended Warranty Experiences

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Hi! I recently got the Citibank Double Cash Credit Card, which i love having and really appreciate that it comes with (and i believe all Citi Credit Cards now do) TWO YEARS on the extended warranty benefit...It is a Mastercard, and although i have had good experiences when i needed to use my AMEX credit card's extended warranty benefit, i was wondering how the Mastercard extended warranty experience generally is...So, would appreciate feedback from those that have used it....I thought it would be helpful not only to me, but also to others who have credit cards with the mastercard coverage...Thanks in advance for all input!†

Moderator Comment: Thank you for participating in the forums. However, this topic has been covered in a recent post Here. — Jul. 7, 2017 @ 8:49pm
Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:

rated:
Yeah, but that was a LONG time ago (2010) and things do change (sometimes) lol...I was wondering how they are these days (2017)...so would welcome feedback from those who used it within the last year or two...

rated:
Nope! Only two things are certain in life: Crown Vic and AMEX FTW. This thread is nothing but a ploy to be "Star of the Week".

rated:
Not Really...From what i recall, they weren't great back then...but 7 years is a long time, and perhaps (with probably many complaints they received) they could have improved dramatically, but i wouldn't know, since i haven't actually had any credit cards that were on mastercard since back then...and that is why i was hoping for some feedback...whether positive or negative, so i could get an idea of what to expect THESE DAYS...

I agree, AMEX is great but i have had good experiences with Visa as well..However, since this Citi Double Cash card is on mastercard, and it's my primary use card, it would be helpful if i would get some responses to this thread...Anybody responding, i am looking for your RECENT experiences (like say within the last two years or so)...Thanks!

rated:
My Citi Double Cash Mastercard and my Citi Forward Visa both show online the same card benefits.† Both show a pdf documentf titled "Your Guide to Protection Benefits" which says on its first page "Effective date: May 15, 2016".† So I have been assuming that my credit card benefits are Citi benefits that apply generally to all Citi cards.† But perhaps I'm wrong about this.

rated:
Yes, all the citicards were upgraded on the benefits as you are showing in the pdf file...i read a few articles about it...and it did happen back in May of 2016...As far as i know, they are the only ones giving 2 years on an extended warranty (even if the original manufacturer's warranty is say 90 days)...and it's in addition to any service contracts you buy on top of the original warranty...The other benefits were also enhanced as well....

Hope some can also post about their experiences with using the extended warranty on a mastercard (doesn't have to be citicard specific, just any mastercard)...

rated:
I have never used the extended warranty feature on any of my cards, so I am unable to provide any data points regarding the quality of service from Mastercard or others.† There have been some earlier fatwallet threads on the general subject of extended warranty, and I think that Mastercard's extended warranty was part of the discussion.

Your original post was concerning the Citi Double Cash Mastercard.† As best I understand, the extended warranty on this card is not a Mastercard benefit, but rather a Citi benefit.

My impression is that in recent years some very big banks such as Citi and Chase have started to provide their own credit card benefits rather than attaching various Visa benefits or Mastercard benefits to their cards.

You can call Mastercard at 1-800-MCASSIST and ask them whether they provide the extended warranty for your Citi Double Cash Mastercard.† They will ask for your credit card number (or maybe just a part of your credit card number, I forget).† My guess is that they will say that they do not provide the extended warranty for your Citi Double Cash Mastercard.† I think that the provider of the extended warranty on this card is Citibank.† Out of curiosity, you might want to ask them whether they provide any of the benefits on this Mastercard.† My guess is that they do not, but I could be wrong about this.† If you have any other card(s) that are Mastercard, you can ask the Mastercard rep which Mastercard benefits are associated with each of your other Mastercards (again they will need the card number or at least part of the card number).† Their reps can quickly list off any benefits that they provide for each of your Mastercards.

rated:
@Endeavorer: Thanks so much for that information and i will check into it, but i think you are probably right...

My understanding is that Citi switched insurers and must have made the agreement with the new insurer...perhaps they also handle the actual claims as well...In fact, i was wondering if that is the way it always works...that you are actually dealing with a particular insurer rather than mastercard itself (even though technically you submit the claim through their system), when you submit a claim for extended warranty on the mastercard and visa cards...I know AMEX handles it's own but they may be the exception to the rule...

rated:
All I remember about Mastercard warranty: "Worthless!"† Never going to trust those son-of-a-bitches ever again with any extended warranty purchase.

rated:
craig10x said:   My understanding is that Citi switched insurers and must have made the agreement with the new insurer...perhaps they also handle the actual claims as well...In fact, i was wondering if that is the way it always works...that you are actually dealing with a particular insurer rather than mastercard itself (even though technically you submit the claim through their system), when you submit a claim for extended warranty on the mastercard and visa cards...I know AMEX handles it's own but they may be the exception to the rule...
I think you are correct on this.

rated:
@PrincipalMember: That bad, eh?

@Endeavor: In fact, i read over the information that came with my Citi Double Cash card...I definitely get the impression that it is the INSURER that actually processes and fullfills the claims made...And if that be the case, some could have GREAT experiences with a mastercard extended warranty while others might have a bad experience (as PrincipalMember said he had)...I found the website of the one that is the insurer for the citibank credit card benefits program and they sound like a pretty solid company so hopefully, if i need to use the extended warranty on my Citicard, it will be a favorable experience...

rated:
I used it successfully. They require an estimate (unlike AMEX which usually refunds the purchase price if itís small enough), but a screenshot of a replacement part for sale was good enough. Also the form needs to be filled out and emailed or faxed, unlike AMEX which is all done online. Nothing that would make me shy away, though.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017