• filter:

Chase account suspended

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
My wife opened Chase Premier Plus Checking account last weekend in Atlanta (we don't have any Chase branches in our state) to take advantage of the $300 bonus. Today, she verified one of her other bank accounts and triggered a transfer of 10K and 5K to Chase account to take care of the account requirement. Both those transfers are cancelled and when she try to login to the account, 'account suspended' message comes. When she called the customer service, they say the account is closed, the decision is final and they don't have to give a reason why the account is closed. When she was on the call with customer service, they asked a bunch of questions for verifications purposes and she answered them all. What actions can she take to resolve this issue?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Did you work at a bank, or you are just one of those people that reads something and think you understand what it means?... (more)

Chyvan (Jul. 18, 2017 @ 9:05p) |

You haven't quoted a single line saying something to the effect of 'you should file the CTR if you have $x in bank draft... (more)

doveroftke (Jul. 19, 2017 @ 7:25a) |

Chase suddenly started demanding my wife produce her drivers licence for very small, $300  cash deposits she makes every... (more)

reminders3 (Jul. 25, 2017 @ 7:31p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Chase did something similar to me in almost that exact situation. There was nothing to be done over the phone or by email. I was forced to sit down with one of their 'personal bankers' and eventually that persons supervisor to resolve the issue by contacting an internal fraud department.

Fortunately I had a plethora of Chase branches to choose from. You can't turn around in NYC without seeing a Chase branch. Still, the wasted time and frustration certainly ate into the value of the bonus I received.

rated:
We talked to Chase branch manager and it seems the account is suspended for good and no chance to reopening it again. Also, he said she can never open another Chase account because of the restriction. Anything we can do to lift that restriction? Thank you

rated:
MSing has consequences.

rated:
msing31 said:   MSing has consequences.
  Sorry didnt understand what you are saying.

rated:
msing31 said:   MSing has consequences.
The only account referenced here is a checking account and there is no mention of money orders being deposited so I don't see where MS fits in (Chase is generally lenient with MS anyways)

rated:
Chase accounts being closed for mysterious reasons has been discussed a bunch on Creditboards. Maybe pose the same question there. If it's not for something that happened previously with Chase, they've been known to close accounts for customers with felony convictions. It might not be the case here, but I'm bringing it up just in case.

I'm also wondering has the OP's spouse opened other bank accounts in the recent past.  All those extra inquiries in your ChexSystems or EWS report can bite you.  I say this from experience as several years ago when I attempted to open a bank account the bank literally treated me like dirt and kicked me out the door. No bank account for me.

It also isn't unheard of of banks closing accounts of customers who immediately opened more accounts elsewhere.

rated:
This is Fatwallet. Do we ever get the whole story at Fatwallet? Fat Chance!

rated:
burgerwars said:   Chase accounts being closed for mysterious reasons has been discussed a bunch on Creditboards. Maybe pose the same question there. If it's not for something that happened previously with Chase, they've been known to close accounts for customers with felony convictions. It might not be the case here, but I'm bringing it up just in case.

I'm also wondering has the OP's spouse opened other bank accounts in the recent past.  All those extra inquiries in your ChexSystems or EWS report can bite you.  I say this from experience as several years ago when I attempted to open a bank account the bank literally treated me like dirt and kicked me out the door. No bank account for me.

It also isn't unheard of of banks closing accounts of customers who immediately opened more accounts elsewhere.

Yes opened couple of other bank accounts as well.

rated:
Erase Chase from your memory and move on.

rated:
Since they refuse to give you a reason, it has to be suspected money laundering.

rated:
speddi said:   My wife opened Chase Premier Plus Checking account last weekend in Atlanta (we don't have any Chase branches in our state) to take advantage of the $300 bonus. Today, she verified one of her other bank accounts and triggered a transfer of 10K and 5K to Chase account to take care of the account requirement. Both those transfers are cancelled and when she try to login to the account, 'account suspended' message comes. When she called the customer service, they say the account is closed, the decision is final and they don't have to give a reason why the account is closed. When she was on the call with customer service, they asked a bunch of questions for verifications purposes and she answered them all. What actions can she take to resolve this issue?
  Chase definitely is very sensitive to this type of activity in a new account. You think I'm bringing MONEY IN and not moving OUT. But to Chase, this is a clear cut scenario of "this guy is brand new to me...I have not seen an established/seasoned relationship with him/her...I can't be sure this is not laundered money....I cannot afford to take chances and trigger all sorts of compliance for financial reporting requirements". It's just unfortunate that multiple dots got connected in your case....your address does not match with any immediate serviceable radius of the branch where you opened this account....you have immediately triggered multiple large transfers from external financial institutions.....if it was HER own external account/s the better thing would have been to personally handover a check at the time of account opening to the banker with whom you opened the account. I can definitely say the online ACH transfer that she submitted did trigger the manual review. And the analyst might have just said, let me err on the side of caution because who knows whether or not this new account holder is "stealing" this money via online ACH transfers ... from family/friends/customers/business clients/....???? Just because she "verified" online one of her other accounts....it doesn't mean she has 100% ownership in that account. Pls dont get me wrong here: I'm not saying your wife did this. But, verifying trial-deposits-for-ACH is not totally-fool-proof. One can do that by having the recipient bank send text alerts for every single txn, getting access to read/view those texts, and you know how easy it is to see routing number + account number on a check someone wrote. So it's the analyst at Chase that is manually reviewing these ACH txns just felt MAY BE SOMEONE IS using Chase to steal from someone and then it's possible .... pooff the money vanishes from Chase and the bank gets into all sort of liabilities. My own brother received calls from Chase's fraud dept when he attempted to do such ACH trfs to My Chase Account. Both accounts were 10+ year old seasoned accounts and he was told to either take his business elsewehre or stop such trfs. No opther choices

rated:
dealgain said:   
this is a clear cut scenario of "this guy is brand new to me...I have not seen an established/seasoned relationship with him/her...

Ironically isn't that what is exactly required to qualify for these kind of bonuses?

rated:
File a complaint with The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and you'll get a response forthwith and maybe your account opened & bonus too.

rated:
john99 said:   
dealgain said:   
this is a clear cut scenario of "this guy is brand new to me...I have not seen an established/seasoned relationship with him/her...

Ironically isn't that what is exactly required to qualify for these kind of bonuses?

Marketing teams and back office fraud prevention teams have no venn diagrams to compete against....they work in their own departments and absolutely don't care about pleasing each other

rated:
I do agree with dealgain's post, but remember my advice. I was thrown under the bus by a bank for having accounts opened elsewhere, even though I thought I spaced the time between opening accounts long enough. I was wrong. Opening accounts for bonuses, or just because you want another account, is not an unlimited option. You can risk your current accounts being closed on you. Banks are a suspicious bunch. I learned the hard way.

rated:
dealgain said:   
speddi said:   My wife opened Chase Premier Plus Checking account last weekend in Atlanta (we don't have any Chase branches in our state) to take advantage of the $300 bonus. Today, she verified one of her other bank accounts and triggered a transfer of 10K and 5K to Chase account to take care of the account requirement. Both those transfers are cancelled and when she try to login to the account, 'account suspended' message comes. When she called the customer service, they say the account is closed, the decision is final and they don't have to give a reason why the account is closed. When she was on the call with customer service, they asked a bunch of questions for verifications purposes and she answered them all. What actions can she take to resolve this issue?
  Chase definitely is very sensitive to this type of activity in a new account. You think I'm bringing MONEY IN and not moving OUT. But to Chase, this is a clear cut scenario of "this guy is brand new to me...I have not seen an established/seasoned relationship with him/her...I can't be sure this is not laundered money....I cannot afford to take chances and trigger all sorts of compliance for financial reporting requirements". It's just unfortunate that multiple dots got connected in your case....your address does not match with any immediate serviceable radius of the branch where you opened this account....you have immediately triggered multiple large transfers from external financial institutions.....if it was HER own external account/s the better thing would have been to personally handover a check at the time of account opening to the banker with whom you opened the account. I can definitely say the online ACH transfer that she submitted did trigger the manual review. And the analyst might have just said, let me err on the side of caution because who knows whether or not this new account holder is "stealing" this money via online ACH transfers ... from family/friends/customers/business clients/....???? Just because she "verified" online one of her other accounts....it doesn't mean she has 100% ownership in that account. Pls dont get me wrong here: I'm not saying your wife did this. But, verifying trial-deposits-for-ACH is not totally-fool-proof. One can do that by having the recipient bank send text alerts for every single txn, getting access to read/view those texts, and you know how easy it is to see routing number + account number on a check someone wrote. So it's the analyst at Chase that is manually reviewing these ACH txns just felt MAY BE SOMEONE IS using Chase to steal from someone and then it's possible .... pooff the money vanishes from Chase and the bank gets into all sort of liabilities. My own brother received calls from Chase 's fraud dept when he attempted to do such ACH trfs to My Chase Account. Both accounts were 10+ year old seasoned accounts and he was told to either take his business elsewehre or stop such trfs. No opther choices

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Makes a lot of sense.

rated:
LOOPHOLE said:   File a complaint with The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and you'll get a response forthwith and maybe your account opened & bonus too.
  Thank you for your suggestion. I submitted a complaint, not expecting anything to come out of it but at least worth a try. 

rated:
Sounds like Chase needs to make the Target balance for the account $9,999.00. I'm sure that will fix things. What we have here is an "look for any "real" excuse account". Ie, you were already flagged for dubious reasons like account opening history, or a history of bonus chasing with Chase, and they waited for the "real" alert to happen to kick you out so they can go around telling the govt look how good we did! If not, and their AML is only triggered through "new account", and "two transfers totaling over 10k in the first few weeks", then that's pretty sad.

rated:
speddi said:   
LOOPHOLE said:   File a complaint with The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and you'll get a response forthwith and maybe your account opened & bonus too.
  Thank you for your suggestion. I submitted a complaint, not expecting anything to come out of it but at least worth a try. 

I don't know if CFPB can really help here as there were no financial damages. Chase is under no obligation to business with you. It's unfortunate but there is no wrongdoing in choosing not to do business with someone. What happened to you has happened to hundreds, maybe thousands, of people in here (and to yours truly). We lick our wounds and don't look back.

rated:
RedCobra said:   
speddi said:   

I don't know if CFPB can really help here as there were no financial damages. Chase is under no obligation to business with you. It's unfortunate but there is no wrongdoing in choosing not to do business with someone. What happened to you has happened to hundreds, maybe thousands, of people in here (and to yours truly). We lick our wounds and don't look back.

eh, his wife lost out on a $300 bonus. actually, Chase is obligated to let her fulfill conditions for her bonus.  there's a contract there.  you do X, and we'll do Y.  it's irrelevant that Chase has screwed over you and thousands of other people.  if you (and others) chose not to hold Chase accountable, that's not OP's problem.  He's well within his rights to get what he was promised.

rated:
fufihope said:   
RedCobra said:   
speddi said:   

eh, his wife lost out on a $300 bonus. actually, Chase is obligated to let her fulfill conditions for her bonus.  there's a contract there.  you do X, and we'll do Y.  it's irrelevant that Chase has screwed over you and thousands of other people.  if you (and others) chose not to hold Chase accountable, that's not OP's problem.  He's well within his rights to get what he was promised.

His case would depend on the T&Cs. I'm sure there is some time requirement to qualify for the bonus and if Chase closed the account in a matter of days (as stated by OP) it would relieve them of any obligation they may have had.

rated:
RedCobra said:   
His case would depend on the T&Cs. I'm sure there is some time requirement to qualify for the bonus and if Chase closed the account in a matter of days (as stated by OP) it would relieve them of any obligation they may have had.

T&C's are irrelevant, since those are written by Chase. For that reason, they would almost always give (laughably) lopsided power to the bank.

CFPA would look at this through an objective reading of contract law. Here, Chase induced OP to open account, offering $300.  After OP satisfied obligation, Chase closed account in error, mistaking OP for a scammer. OP legitimately fulfilled his side of bargain. Therefore, Chase owes him $300.  

Incidentally, I've gone through similar issues with banks.  CFPA always ruled in my favor. The banks always paid up, even after repeatedly citing some "T&C" nonsense.

rated:
fufihope said:   
RedCobra said:   
His case would depend on the T&Cs. I'm sure there is some time requirement to qualify for the bonus and if Chase closed the account in a matter of days (as stated by OP) it would relieve them of any obligation they may have had.

T&C's are irrelevant, since those are written by Chase. For that reason, they would almost always give (laughably) lopsided power to the bank.

CFPA would look at this through an objective reading of contract law. Here, Chase induced OP to open account, offering $300.  After OP satisfied obligation, Chase closed account in error, mistaking OP for a scammer. OP legitimately fulfilled his side of bargain. Therefore, Chase owes him $300.  

Incidentally, I've gone through similar issues with banks.  CFPA always ruled in my favor. The banks always paid up, even after repeatedly citing some "T&C" nonsense.

Well here's the T&C for that

2Account Closing: If the checking account is closed by the customer or Chase within six months after opening, we will deduct the bonus amount at closing.
So OP doesn't get the bonus.  Chase closed the account.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
fufihope said:   
RedCobra said:   

2Account Closing: If the checking account is closed by the customer or Chase within six months after opening, we will deduct the bonus amount at closing.
So OP doesn't get the bonus.  Chase closed the account.

lol. apply some common sense.  if Chase were allowed to do that, what would stop Chase from offering a $300 bonus and then closing accounts within 6 months? nothing.  no bonuses would ever need to be paid.

that's laughably lopsided in Chase's favor.

CFPA will read T&C as "If the checking account is closed by...Chase within six months after opening for good cause (such as for documented fraud/abuse), we will deduct the bonus amount at closing. 

that reading lends some fairness to an otherwise one-sided condition.

rated:
fufihope said:   

lol. apply some common sense.  if Chase were allowed to do that, what would stop Chase from offering a $300 bonus and then closing accounts within 6 months? nothing.  no bonuses would ever need to be paid.

that's laughably lopsided in Chase 's favor.

CFPA will read T&C as "If the checking account is closed by...Chase within six months after opening for good cause (such as for documented fraud/abuse), we will deduct the bonus amount at closing. 

LOL you apply some common sense.
OP opens an account, within 7 days Chase closes it.
I think Chase would win that argument vs closing it 5 months later.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
fufihope said:   

LOL you apply some common sense.
OP opens an account, within 7 days Chase closes it.
I think Chase would win that argument vs closing it 5 months later.

It doesn't matter when it's closed. What matters is that justification for the closure is a condition that gives bank unbridled power and allows absurd results

Chase is going to lose, assuming OP's attempted deposits were legit.

What exactly is Chase going to argue? We got mighty suspicious when we saw ACH deposits that coincided with T&C's of bonus offer? lol

rated:
fufihope said:   
forbin4040 said:   
fufihope said:   
RedCobra said:   

2Account Closing: If the checking account is closed by the customer or Chase within six months after opening, we will deduct the bonus amount at closing.
So OP doesn't get the bonus.  Chase closed the account.

If your only goal is to reclaim the $300 you felt cheated out of then MAYBE you will have some luck with CFPB as they do tend to rule in favor of the consumer. It will take time and effort, more than it's worth. However, if your goal is to get back in Chase 's good graces you are completely SOL. It will be a pyrrhic victory since you have now been double red-flagged by compliance (suspicious activity and being a PITA)  and any glimmer of hope you had to rebuild the Chase relationship is now dead and buried in the bottom of the ocean.

rated:
RedCobra said:   
If your only goal is to reclaim the $300 you felt cheated out of then MAYBE you will have some luck with CFPB as they do tend to rule in favor of the consumer. It will take time and effort, more than it's worth. However, if your goal is to get back in Chase 's good graces you are completely SOL. It will be a pyrrhic victory since you are now double red-flagged by compliance (suspicious activity and being a PITA)  and any glimmer of hope you had to rebuild the Chase relationship is now dead and buried in the bottom of the ocean.

OP determines whether this fight is worth his time.  That said, how much time/effort are we talking?  "I opened an account, following an inducement by Chase of $300. Thereafter, I transferred $X into Chase account (via ACH), satisfying a condition of bonus offer.  For an unknown reason, Chase subsequently closed my account.  Now Chase is stonewalling me.  Please help."

A Scammer does't typically complain to a gov't agency.  OP's complaint could actually get him UNflagged as a suspicious person.  PITA? Chase probably gets deluged with CFPA complaints every week. So there's (most likely) somebody dedicated to resolving such conflicts. I doubt anybody would notice/care about a 0.001% uptick in (electronic) paperwork.  Also, OP has a legit beef.  Banks are ok with that, but not with customers who complain about nonsense ("I had to wait 8 mins. in line at a branch during lunchtime").

Anecdotally, I lodged multiple complaints against Chase. Nevertheless, I still got approved multiple times for subsequent bonus offers (deposit accounts/CC's).  (Now I would get rejected for CC's. But that's because of that 5/24 rule, not because of my previous conflicts with said bank).

rated:
I can see how they might have a problem with you having multiple accounts at different banks but it seems odd to me that they wouldn't provide an explanation.

rated:
Why did she do 2 separate transfers from what seems one account?

rated:
scrouds said:   Why did she do 2 separate transfers from what seems one account?
  When she tried to do the transfer of 15K in one transaction, it gave an error, so split it into two separate transactions.

rated:
dealgain said:   
  Chase definitely is very sensitive to this type of activity in a new account. You think I'm bringing MONEY IN and not moving OUT. But to Chase, this is a clear cut scenario of "this guy is brand new to me...I have not seen an established/seasoned relationship with him/her...I can't be sure this is not laundered money....I cannot afford to take chances and trigger all sorts of compliance for financial reporting requirements". It's just unfortunate that multiple dots got connected in your case....your address does not match with any immediate serviceable radius of the branch where you opened this account....you have immediately triggered multiple large transfers from external financial institutions.....if it was HER own external account/s the better thing would have been to personally handover a check at the time of account opening to the banker with whom you opened the account. I can definitely say the online ACH transfer that she submitted did trigger the manual review. And the analyst might have just said, let me err on the side of caution because who knows whether or not this new account holder is "stealing" this money via online ACH transfers ... from family/friends/customers/business clients/....???? Just because she "verified" online one of her other accounts....it doesn't mean she has 100% ownership in that account. Pls dont get me wrong here: I'm not saying your wife did this. But, verifying trial-deposits-for-ACH is not totally-fool-proof. One can do that by having the recipient bank send text alerts for every single txn, getting access to read/view those texts, and you know how easy it is to see routing number + account number on a check someone wrote. So it's the analyst at Chase that is manually reviewing these ACH txns just felt MAY BE SOMEONE IS using Chase to steal from someone and then it's possible .... pooff the money vanishes from Chase and the bank gets into all sort of liabilities. My own brother received calls from Chase 's fraud dept when he attempted to do such ACH trfs to My Chase Account. Both accounts were 10+ year old seasoned accounts and he was told to either take his business elsewehre or stop such trfs. No opther choices

Chase is notoriously risk averse when it comes to money laundering or fraud suspicions.  They would much rather close an account with a hint of suspicion then deal with the feds and face fines. A few years ago I received a one time wire transfer from overseas into an active checking account that I opened more than 20 years ago.  Their "Know your customer" (a.k.a. anti money laundering) department got in touch with me and wanted to know what's up with that wire.  I initially refused out of principle and they were perfectly willing to close my accounts on the spot and kick out a customer after 20 years of maintaining a checking account and half a dozen credit cards. I went to a local branch to complain to the manager, but he said there was nothing he could do if money laundering decides to close the account,  Eventually I decided it was not worth to move to another bank and have an account closed for money laundering on my history. It was a very straightforward five minute explanation where the wire came from and why and the case was closed.

rated:

rated:
collegestudent2017 said:   Sounds like Chase needs to make the Target balance for the account $9,999.00. I'm sure that will fix things. What we have here is an "look for any "real" excuse account". Ie, you were already flagged for dubious reasons like account opening history, or a history of bonus chasing with Chase, and they waited for the "real" alert to happen to kick you out so they can go around telling the govt look how good we did! If not, and their AML is only triggered through "new account", and "two transfers totaling over 10k in the first few weeks", then that's pretty sad.
  I don't think Chase cares what your Target  balance is.  Target cards are issued by TD Bank.

rated:
cows123 said:   
collegestudent2017 said:   Sounds like Chase needs to make the Target balance for the account $9,999.00. I'm sure that will fix things. What we have here is an "look for any "real" excuse account". Ie, you were already flagged for dubious reasons like account opening history, or a history of bonus chasing with Chase, and they waited for the "real" alert to happen to kick you out so they can go around telling the govt look how good we did! If not, and their AML is only triggered through "new account", and "two transfers totaling over 10k in the first few weeks", then that's pretty sad.
  I don't think Chase cares what your Target  balance is.  Target cards are issued by TD Bank.

lol...try reading the post again with a lower-case 't'

rated:
kagejishin said:   
cows123 said:   

I think it was a troll post. (Maybe with a capital 'T')

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
kagejishin said:   
cows123 said:   

I think it was a troll post. (Maybe with a capital 'T')

Troll? You can't tell a joke on FW Finance forum without being accused of being a troll? Can we please reserve the "t" word for those people that are actually trolling?

rated:
speddi said:   scrouds said:   Why did she do 2 separate transfers from what seems one account?
  When she tried to do the transfer of 15K in one transaction, it gave an error, so split it into two separate transactions.

That's why Chase closed the account. Don't do anything that even makes it appear you might be structuring your payments to avoid governmental reporting.

Skipping 15 Messages...
rated:
Chase suddenly started demanding my wife produce her drivers licence for very small, $300  cash deposits she makes every evening for the doctor's office which is a very tiny part of a gigantic hospital system. She politely told them to go pound sand down rat holes since it's not her money or her business and she's not going to have her name or DL number taken down by Chase for them to report, misuse or get hacked. Apparently this is also a new part of Chase's government paranoia policy. She will now only use the night drop.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017