• filter:

How to specifically insure sewer line in case it collapses?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
If you haven't seen my old post about sewer line collapsing , I'm worried about another house with some sewer problems.

I have a house in AZ with clay pipes that have roots getting into them, where the entire drain blocks, water comes out the basement shower floor, and I have to get a plumber to snake everything out.

How can I specifically insure against the clay pipes failing so that if/when I have to have the entire yard dug up and new pipes put in, I'll be covered?  I don't think my standard home owners insurance will cover it.

It just happened with tenants and since I'm not there, companies are charging me $2-4k to essentially mop up the water and put new drywall in. The amount of water that came up could be cleaned up with 1 or 2 large towels to give some context.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
External cleanout like JW mentioned is good.
Also, what about Kill Root or a Root Killer from Lowes or Home Depot? It sho... (more)

mwarrior (Jul. 12, 2017 @ 7:22p) |

Hillside underneath my house moved. Pay $13,000.

Crazytree (Jul. 12, 2017 @ 8:00p) |

forbin4040 (Jul. 12, 2017 @ 10:24p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Does your insurance offer a sewer/water backup rider?

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   Does your insurance offer a sewer/water backup rider?
I have Amica and no idea. Is this what I should seek out?

Is there anything they do to detect if there are "pre-existing conditions" or something?

rated:
Are we talking about roughly the same cost ($8k)? You might be better off self-insuring (i.e. saving up the money over the next few years).

rated:
If Erie insures in your area, the "Eriesecure Home Select Endorsement" costs $10 a month and covers all underground service lines up to $25,000.
There are an array of other perils included in the endorsement including water and sewer backups, identity theft and fraud protection, criminal defense cost reimbursement and more.

"Underground Service Line Coverage - provides up to $25,000 for physical loss or damage to a covered
service line that is a direct result of a service line failure on the residence premises..."

rated:
When I bought my house, the agent insisted on a sewer/water backup rider. It provide additonal $ converage but your standard HO insurance will cover at least some of it. I had it removed once I got the line redone.

I wouldn't want to count on the rider to save you. Spend the $ on getting the line relined or redone.

rated:
I'll check out Erie insurance too.

@doveroftke that actual cost of that was closer to $20k. I would expect $15-20k to get the AZ one fixed.

Of all the things to insure (fire/flood/etc) it seems to me like sewer should always be something to actually insure against.

rated:
why not replace the sewer line?

rated:
imbatman said:   why not replace the sewer line?
Because it sounds like he wants insurance to foot the bill??  

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
imbatman said:   why not replace the sewer line?
Because it sounds like he wants insurance to foot the bill??  

I know it depends on the length of the sewer line, but I had mine done for $1700 a few years ago.
Paying for insurance premium, then paying the deductible, the out of pocket would be about the same, and it would be a lot less headache to fix than repair after it fails.

rated:
I think it would cost more. This image should help explain. http://imgur.com/a/XHrDG

Some things that complicated it:
- The sewer main is in the neighbor's yard
- I have a poured concrete deck
- I have a paver patio
- There is a concrete block wall in the way.

rated:
Insurance is for sudden or unexpected losses. This is neither.

rated:
not sure insurance would replace the line... they will pay for damage caused by backup but not to replace the faulty sewer

rated:
atikovi said:   Insurance is for sudden or unexpected losses. This is neither.

I'm paying for all damage, drywall, etc for the existing backup. I'm looking to cover something in the future such as a collapsed line or a blockage that cannot be cleared.

I've had the line camera'd 3 times and they basically say it's just clay pipe and oleander roots. The only way to stop that is to replace it, but none have ever said it needs to be replaced to prevent failure.

I've just had it snaked every year or two.

rated:
Looks like this used to be 1 big plot and they subdivided it. Because otherwise that's insane to run 1 line for 3 houses.

rated:
I would get an estimate for trenchless relining.

rated:
Al3xK said:    I'm looking to cover something in the future such as a collapsed line or a blockage that cannot be cleared.
  Sounds like you want something like a home warranty. Don't think you can find anything to cover such a specific item for a reasonable cost.

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   I would get an estimate for trenchless relining.
My neighbor in Socal paid $11k last year to reline about 60-75 ft from their front lawn to the city sewer main.  Early this year there was a plumber in the area servicing someone's sewer line and he gave me a free camera inspection (but didn't let me keep the video) and showed me the roots in my line and gave me a $15k quote to reline about 100-115 ft from my house to the city sewer main.  I'm sure the cost varies by region but sewer line repair costs are very high here in Socal.

I've actually had my sewer line hydrojetted every few years and pour RootX in the line after the cleaning.  The tree causing the root problems in my clay pipe is on the city parkway in front of my house.  It's the city's tree but it's causing me headaches.  It's a matter of time before my line completely collapses - the clay pipe is almost 95 years old.  The latest camera video I saw this year showed more damage to the joint than from about 3 yrs ago when I had another video inspection done when the line was hydrojetted.  Where I live you can't dig up the sidewalk and the city street to lay down a new sewer line.  A few of my neighbors paid a plumber $2k-4k to dig up the edge of their front lawn and under the sidewalk to replace the section of pipe that was damaged by the roots.  I will probably take that approach.

rated:

rated:
I had an external cleanout installed a few years ago when the tree roots were so bad the bath tub was experiencing negative flowback. Every so often, I have that company come out and use their cameras to see the condition of the pipe and tree root problem. We replaced some of the sewer line replaced in PVC piping. It was part of their quality service guarantee that they did a good job. I had them come back each year and run the camera again to see if the problem was coming back. So far, so good.

rated:
I have a buddy in Phoenix that specializes in no-trench pipe repair (using an epoxy liner and some fancy tools). Here's his website: http://www.nuflowphoenix.com

I PM-ed you my name so you can tell him I sent you.

rated:
External cleanout like JW mentioned is good.
Also, what about Kill Root or a Root Killer from Lowes or Home Depot? It should take care of the situation if not the first dose then second (depending how bad it is), with a followup every say 6 months.

rated:
Hillside underneath my house moved. Pay $13,000.

rated:
Crazytree said:   Hillside underneath my house moved. Pay $13,000.
  You sure that doesn't belong in the 'What should the FW Monopoly game contain'?

Though it's more like 
Tree fell onto my neighbor's house, pay $13,000

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017