• filter:

VERIZON personal data of 6 million users leaks online...

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
The personal data of 6 million Verizon users has leaked online, the company said Wednesday.“Human error” caused the leak, Verizon told CNN Tech .The error, a misconfigured security setting on a cloud server, made customer phone numbers, names and some PIN codes publicly available online, CNN Tech reported. PIN codes are used to confirm the identity of people who call for customer service, the media outlet said.No loss or theft of customer information occurred, Verizon told CNN Tech.Cybersecurity firm UpGuard found the leak. UpGuard initially reported the error could impact up to 14 million accounts, multiple media outlets reported. 
Continues: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article161084444.htm...

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Any guesses settlement $$ or how much credit?

rated:
Just following in Yahoo's footsteps?

rated:
This is FWF, the bigger questions is whether or not this affects Page Plus or similar providers who use the Verizon network.

rated:
Guess I shouldn't have bitten on that deal for an iphone SE during Black Friday at Best Buy with Verizon....

At least I closed the accounts and moved them to Tmo for the 2 free lines deal.... I wonder if my closed account is at risk.

rated:
Its not clear on what could be done with the name, phone # and pin code in question.

I guess crooks could call up Verizon and pretend to be you and then... ??? ... profit?

rated:
jerosen said:   Its not clear on what could be done with the name, phone # and pin code in question.

I guess crooks could call up Verizon and pretend to be you and then... ??? ... profit?

Give me your name, number and PIN and I'll show you all the damage that can be done with that info

Yes, it's a big deal!

rated:
jerosen said:   Its not clear on what could be done with the name, phone # and pin code in question.

Maybe use that information to hack other services? How many people do you think use the same for different services?

rated:
ogp said:   

Maybe use that information to hack other services? How many people do you think use the same for different services?

yeah maybe, 

What else uses PINs ? 

rated:
Using the same PIN's and passwords is so irresponsible today. I would have hoped people would have smartened up by now.

rated:
needhelpplease said:   Any guesses settlement $$ or how much credit?

Well after lawyer fees, probably $1 statement credit.

rated:
Sue individually

rated:
Yes i know the spellling is incorrect

rated:
I was on a contract with Verizon last year, my contract ended & got a call from a different recruiter last month for a possible security remediation gig.   They knew about their lack of security then & did nothing at all.   F em

rated:
Hope i wont be the victim :/

rated:
http://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-responds-report-confir...

“We have been able to confirm that the only access to the cloud storage area by a person other than Verizon or its vendor was a researcher who brought this issue to our attention. In other words, there has been no loss or theft of Verizon or Verizon customer information.”

rated:
TheTrain said:   http://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-responds-report-confir... 

“We have been able to confirm that the only access to the cloud storage area by a person other than Verizon or its vendor was a researcher who brought this issue to our attention. In other words, there has been no loss or theft of Verizon or Verizon customer information.”

I'd put that too if I found out someone hacked my system.
Doesn't make it true.

rated:
What, my personal data is now out in the public domain???  This is horrible!

zzzzzzzzzzzzz.................

rated:
hard2hold said:   I was on a contract with Verizon last year, my contract ended & got a call from a different recruiter last month for a possible security remediation gig.   They knew about their lack of security then & did nothing at all.   F em
  I am sure that this information was closely held until all regulators were informed

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017