• filter:

Chase IHG Credit Card - 85,000 Points after $1,000 Spent in First 3 Months

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/ihg-rewards-club

Chase is offering new users to the IHG credit card (aka, Holiday Inn; Crowne Plaza; ...) an 80,000 signup bonus, plus an extra 5,000 if adding an additional user.
Note - The usual Chase rules (24/5) apply

Member Summary
Highlights from the discussion below:
1 point worth ~ 0.64 cents, so unless you shop where 1 dollar gets two points, you will probably never break the 1% mark vs getting a 1.5% hard cash back card and pay cash for your stay. --  tonysavealot

Points valued at 0.4 cents means the $1000 spent to get 85000 points has a $16 opportunity cost loss.  -- publicpersona

Free foreign transaction fee.  -- knowit2
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Can these points be easily converted to cash?

rated:
why would you convert these points for cash when you can stay at a $400 property for free?

rated:
this card is great for my free night in daytona beach ON the beach for a minor $49 annual fee

rated:
oradbatic said:   why would you convert these points for cash when you can stay at a $400 property for free?
  Given a choice of receiving $400 cash or staying at a "$400 property for free", I know what i'd do and its not stay at the Holiday Inn.

Obviously the points probably aren't worth anywhere near that but maybe the value of the points is what oradbatic was asking about in a roundabout way.

rated:
SinbadS said:   Can these points easily converted to cash?

https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards

The best value there is a $100 gift card for 38,500 points, so this is roughly a $200 bonus when used that way. 

rated:
some cash value vs points for a nights stay in Disney /universal Florida area

Crowne Plaza : Orlando - Universal Blvd.... $97.02 or 30,000 Points
Staybridge Suites : Orlando at SeaWorld  $123.48 or 25,000 Points
Staybridge Suites : Lake Buena Vista...... $154.99 or 40,000 Points

So it looks on average a point is worth 0.4 cents
For a purchase reward card that is a pretty low 0.4% to 0.8% kickback, so sign up bonus and annual reward stay, maybe could still be worth it.

rated:
Wow, so IHG points are even worse than Hilton Pesos? Edit: Orlando's probably not the best measuring stick though.  Isn't it normal for Orlando/NYC to be poor value redemptions?  Or maybe it just seems that way.

rated:
Holiday Inn : Niagara Falls  $163.93 or 35,000 Points
Holiday Inn Express & Suites : San Francisco Fishermans Wharf  $346.86 or 40,000 Points
Holiday Inn : Los Angeles - LAX Airport $174.60 or  30,000 Points

Comes to 0.64cents a point,
so unless you shop where 1dollar gets two points, you will probably never break the 1% mark vs getting a 1.5% hard cash back card and pay cash for your stay.

rated:
This card isn't subjected to Chase's 5/24 policy.

Also note it comes with 1 free night in any IHG property annually (after paying the $49 fee). My wife and I both had 1, and ended up getting several weekend stays at nice Intercontinentals for effectively $100.

Also, this card is churnable every 24 months.

rated:
Yeah, so one way to look at it is having this card gets you a night at the Venetian in Las Vegas for $16 the first year* and $49 each subsequent year**. Not sure I want to take a hard hit just for that.

* The points being valued at 0.4 cents means the $1000 spent to get 85000 points has a $16 opportunity cost loss.
** Free night each year

rated:
i have stayed at a bunch of 10k and 15k hotels over the years. good to have in case you need a room at some point.

rated:
vnuts21 said:   This card isn't subjected to Chase 's 5/24 policy.

Also note it comes with 1 free night in any IHG property annually (after paying the $49 fee). My wife and I both had 1, and ended up getting several weekend stays at nice Intercontinentals for effectively $100.

You use it for the free annual night and for Point Break https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/global/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks -- I did this last year, seems to be a somewhat annual promo.

(edit to add -- note that there are tabs for different regions,  for example there are properties in Paris, Naples, Budapest, ect...  for 5000 points a night)

rated:

Are you or anyone absolutely sure as I am at 4/24 and was holding out for a better promo but this is great if it does not count towards the rule.
Thanks!!!

rated:
alanmax said:   

Are you or anyone absolutely sure as I am at 4/24 and was holding out for a better promo but this is great if it does not count towards the rule.
Thanks!!!

It counts against 5/24.  But you can still get it if you're over 5/24.

rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   

You use it for the free annual night and for Point Break https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/global/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks -- I did this last year, seems to be a somewhat annual promo.

(edit to add -- note that there are tabs for different regions,  for example there are properties in Paris, Naples, Budapest, ect...  for 5000 points a night)

Yeah the Points Break deals are great, but I haven't been able to line up travel plans with them yet. 

rated:
alanmax said:   

Thanks!!!

All new cards count against 5/24. Some of Chase's cards are able to be obtained if you're at LOL/24. 

My wife and I are at 30+/24, and churn these every 2 years. 

rated:
About two years ago, getting this card, i.e. the signup bonus points, counted towards qualifying for the chain's highest status. Spire Elite. I believe they don't let you get Spire Elite through the signup bonus any more (please someone correct me if I am wrong).
As long as you have the card, I think you will still be a Platinum Elite (I'm not sure how great the benefits are there, but maybe for status-matching?).

Overall, the $49 annual fee for a free room is a good value. Using the card for daily spend- not much value to that. 

rated:
vnuts21 said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   

Yeah the Points Break deals are great, but I haven't been able to line up travel plans with them yet. 

I came close to pulling the trigger on a trip to Brittany, with a train run to another one in Gibraltar for the fun of it -- due to point breaks.   In the end I had a conflict, maybe next time.  
fw10001 said: Overall, the $49 annual fee for a free room is a good value. Using the card for daily spend- not much value to that. 

Yeah, but it does make a good card for BTs -- whenever Chase has a decent offer.  My IHG always seems to get decent promos that way.

rated:
One other quick feature.
Free foreign transaction fee.
Also very easy to call or online the days you are going to be out of the country so it won't freeze on you during your vacation.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017