• filter:

Amazon Seller - Just Launched - Very low prices - Something fishy?

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I searched the forums and cannot see a similar topic. So I am asking: My obihai died and I was looking for deals for it. I almost bought it on Amazon, sold by Amazon, for full retail price, before I checked the other sellers. There are a few "just launched" sellers who are selling it "new" for more than 50% discount. I clicked on one of them, and saw that he is selling a lot of popular items for dirt cheap. An example:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LV7VXW?m=A2320HL5TTHLG2&ref_=v_sp_...

There is no way that he can ship it for less than $4.30. See this guy's other items also. He is selling a obi200 for $21, while it retails around $50.

So what 's up with this? I know I can order and I am fully protected by Amazon and my Amex. But I won't, since it is almost impossible that this can be legit. Anyone has a guess what is going on here? How is Amazon letting this happening?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
They were the "cool" ones that were $20+.   But I figured it wasn't much of a gamble because there was no way I was payin... (more)

mattun (Jul. 23, 2017 @ 11:23a) |

I ordered some Dual layer dvds, unaware of the scam just figgered it was a price mistake. Am@zon refunded me, but did i... (more)

Larryslug (Jul. 24, 2017 @ 9:26p) |

Don't feel bad. They've nickle and dime overcharged me more than that lately. I can't waste my time dealing with them ov... (more)

Stubtify (Jul. 25, 2017 @ 2:38p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Happened to me twice.
Both times the seller promptly sent me a fake tracking number and nothing else.
After a while, Amazon refunded me, but I had to ask for it both times, and then wait 'for the seller to respond' and ask for my refund again.
The first time was a dog crate at half price, with free shipping.
The good news is that a week later, when the seller had a half dozen feedbacks of 'fake seller, never sent the product', Amazon had matched her price and I bought the crate from Amazon.
The 2nd time was a dog collar, new seller had the lowest price, but not much lower, only about 10-20%. No product, and a few days later the negative feedback started pouring in.
I was looking at CD wallets today, and in several cases the lowest price by a good margin was a new seller. I picked the one I wanted and ordered it for twice the price from an established seller.

rated:
so i'm confused. googling "obihai" results in VOPI device, while your Amazon link is to a delta showerhead. what are you looking to buy?

rated:
So it's an elaborate scam to get Amazon to lower the price on something they want. So OP, wait for Amazon to lower their price, and then buy from Amazon instead of the scammer.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   so i'm confused. googling "obihai" results in VOPI device, while your Amazon link is to a delta showerhead. what are you looking to buy?

I gave the delta shower head as an example, from the same seller that sells obihai. At least he sells obihai for something ($21) while he is basically giving away the delta shower head.

rated:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshepard/2017/01/02/amazon-scams...

Fake sellers list products, "ship the orders", get the money before the fraud claims roll in, and disappear

rated:
Scammers are desperate if they trying to hustle $4.35 showerheads.

rated:
Could be fraud, counterfeit or could be just a seller selling at a loss to get positive reviews so they can get into restricted categories. I generally only buy from third parties on Amazon if they are FBA.

rated:
As has been said already, this is almost definitely a scammer. I've ordered over a dozen very low priced things just like this from brand new sellers. I have a ton of alerts set up on camelx3 that sometimes notify me of super low priced third party sellers. Every single time you get a completely fake tracking number, then a couple weeks later Amazon refunds your money. I kept biting because I wanted to believe that eventually I'd find a legit great deal. Haha, nope.

You'll see that the seller has many items for sale. They probably make off with several thousand dollars every time they do this. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that they have some sort of software that makes all these fake, super-cheap listings for them automatically.

rated:
Amazon is run by pretty smart people, right? You really don't need AI to catch those sellers (though Amazon does AI also).

if (new seller)
if (# of items >= 5)
if ((average price of items) <= (0.80 * Amazon Price))
{
mark seller as scammer;
remove all listings;
}

I wonder why Amazon doesn't do this. It pays for fraud, I assume.

rated:
In addition to underbidding other sellers and having random silly names, scammers often list a bunch of top selling items in multiple unrelated categories. Legit sellers often specialize in something or at least have multiple themes and not just top-selling items.

rated:
I'm not familiar with Delta brand. I do know that some sellers white label products and then try selling on Amazon. To increase sales they mark down the price so that more people buy and leave reviews. Once sales go up Amazon's algorithm detects it and bumps it up the product rankings. If the markdown is successful, the product will appear on the first page of that particular keyword the product is under... in your case its probably shower head. Once on the first page, the seller raises the price and makes a significant profit on the incoming orders.

Or in this case, it could be a fake product. 

Either way, Amazon will always side with the customer. If you are concerned, contact Amazon. They are good with assisting customers.

Good luck. 

rated:
reyrivas7 said:   I'm not familiar with Delta brand.Let me introduce you -- it's huge. The rest of your answer doesn't apply.
reyrivas7 said:   Or in this case, it could be a fake product.It's a real product. The seller is fake.

rated:
Similar scams on eBay, with STOLEN established accounts with high positive feedbacks. As soon as someone buys an item, the available quantity is automatically increased. eBay is usually pretty good with shutting down those auctions, but the scammers will just start more fake auctions.

rated:
oko said:   Amazon Seller - Just Launched - Very low prices - Something fishy?  
  ALWAYS!

10char

rated:
Sometimes the scam is for the seller to cancel your order, and email the buyer to instead send paypal/western union to them outside of Amazon. This should send off huge red flags to just about anyone, but I guess some Amazon buyers are pretty unsophisticated.

rated:
Another possibility is that the "seller" isn't actually trying to scam you. In fact, they aren't even trying to "sell" anything to anyone. They're trying to scam a local retailer that price matches to Amazon, hoping the store employee at the customer service desk doesn't know to verify that the item is sold by Amazon

rated:
In Stock. Sold by DENNIS COVERT...so its a "covert" operation..

rated:
oko said:   Amazon is run by pretty smart people, right? You really don't need AI to catch those sellers (though Amazon does AI also).

if (new seller)
if (# of items >= 5)
if ((average price of items) <= (0.80 * Amazon Price))
{
mark seller as scammer;
remove all listings;
}

I wonder why Amazon doesn't do this. It pays for fraud, I assume.

Do I type that in to yahoo when I'm googling ?

I was buying some gifts and ran into something similar. Amazon and other sellers were $59, a couple of 'new' sellers had it for $20 w/ free ship. It almost like eBay now where you have to question purchases if it aint straight from Jeff's house.

rated:
oko said:   I wonder why Amazon doesn't do this. It pays for fraud, I assume.
  Losses probably have been only a rounding error for Amazon.

rated:
I got caught in this buying a cell phone from a scammer on Amazon. The discussion with Amazon's fraud refund dept was extremely annoying. It took me way too much time to get my money back.

rated:
megatard said:   Scammers are desperate if they trying to hustle $4.35 showerheads.

Basic rule apply, if it doesn't benefit them in some way they will stop doing it.  Since scam business is growing..........

rated:
djheini said:   https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshepard/2017/01/02/amazon-scams-on-the-rise-in-2017-as-fraudulent-sellers-run-amok-and-profit-big/#6e0f8ffc3ea6

Fake sellers list products, "ship the orders", get the money before the fraud claims roll in, and disappear

If it hurt Amazon enough, they will do something about it.  But I have a feeling it doesn't, like credit card scam/stolen been going on since forever.  The credit card hardly go after the scammer because they have insurance to cover that.  They pay premium price for that insurance, and pass that cost to the seller and seller up the price to pass that cost to the consumer.

rated:
You can track the fakes almost obviously. Question is, how those fake sellers do it? they literally have hundreds of items lined up for sale. I was burned twice and will no never do it again if a just launched seller has more than few items for sale.

rated:
oko said:   Amazon is run by pretty smart people, right? You really don't need AI to catch those sellers (though Amazon does AI also).

if (new seller)
if (# of items >= 5)
if ((average price of items) <= (0.80 * Amazon Price))
{
mark seller as scammer;
remove all listings;
}

I wonder why Amazon doesn't do this. It pays for fraud, I assume.

I would guess 2 reasons.

Reason 1.  Look at Amazon 's stock.  It's all about sales growth.  I'm speculating as to how these "fraud" transactions are reported, but I would bet they are included in the top line sales numbers.  I don't think they're intentionally letting this happen to increase their sales numbers, but it isn't hurting anything either. 

Reason 2.  Amazon is obsessed with constantly lowering prices (to drive sales growth).  To that end, there are some legitimate new sellers.  If Amazon was to make it very difficult for new sellers to sign up / sell, the exiting sellers would have somewhat of a monopoly and prices would slowly increase (or at least not decrease).  This is the same reason they allow (legitimate) sellers from china on the US platform.  Customers hate it, they get poor quality items that take weeks to arrive, but damn if it doesn't bring prices way down on anything they sell. 

rated:
delhel said:   You can track the fakes almost obviously. Question is, how those fake sellers do it? they literally have hundreds of items lined up for sale. I was burned twice and will no never do it again if a just launched seller has more than few items for sale.Adding inventory isn't that time-consuming, and I'm guessing there's probably an automated script that takes in a bunch of ASINs and adds them all to the seller's inventory. There might even be legitimate software for this purpose.
AbbaZabba said:   Reason 2. Amazon is obsessed with constantly lowering prices (to drive sales growth). To that end, there are some legitimate new sellers...As I mentioned above, in addition to having random silly names, scammers often list a bunch of top selling items in multiple unrelated categories. Legit sellers often specialize in something or at least have multiple themes and not just top-selling items.

rated:
Stubtify said:   I got caught in this buying a cell phone from a scammer on Amazon. The discussion with Amazon 's fraud refund dept was extremely annoying. It took me way too much time to get my money back.

Yeah and if you get ripped off for a $4 item how many of us are going to spend an afternoon arguing with a customer service rep to try and get a refund? 

rated:
WorkerAnt said:   
If it hurt Amazon enough, they will do something about it.  But I have a feeling it doesn't, like credit card scam/stolen been going on since forever.  The credit card hardly go after the scammer because they have insurance to cover that.  They pay premium price for that insurance, and pass that cost to the seller and seller up the price to pass that cost to the consumer.

Who has insurance?

I could be wrong but I really don't think there is insurance company paying for credit card fraud at the bank/issuer levels.

rated:
Maybe the scammers use an Amazon Associates account to pump the sales and then actually make the money off the Associates account comissions. Unless Amazon claws back associates commissions due to fraud they could get away with it. Or it could be that the clawback for the commissions isn't fast enough and the money is gone.

rated:
DENNIS COVERT Backwards is TREVOC SINNED..... coincidence???

rated:
jerosen said:   
Stubtify said:   I got caught in this buying a cell phone from a scammer on Amazon. The discussion with Amazon 's fraud refund dept was extremely annoying. It took me way too much time to get my money back.

Yeah and if you get ripped off for a $4 item how many of us are going to spend an afternoon arguing with a customer service rep to try and get a refund? 

Exactly. 

rated:
Most scammers are from China, date of receipt is usuaally couple of months out. Many customers forget about the item, some don't bother to fight Amazon, the seller collected the money and left a while back. Rinse, repeate, Profit.

rated:
I have had next to zero problems filing Amazon 's A to Z guarantee.

About A-to-z Guarantee
We want you to buy with confidence anytime you make a purchase on the Amazon. com website or use Amazon Pay; that's why we guarantee purchases from third-party sellers when payment is made via the Amazon. com website or when you use Amazon Pay for qualified purchases on third-party websites. The condition of the item you buy and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the Amazon A-to-z Guarantee.

rated:
jerosen said:   

I bought two Fidget Spinners that I was fairly certain weren't going to ship for $3.99 each.  Amazon refunded it after a couple week and threw in a $5 credit for my trouble.  No calls, just the regular "Where's My Stuff" channels.

rated:
mattun said:   
jerosen said:   

I bought two Fidget Spinners that I was fairly certain weren't going to ship for $3.99 each.  Amazon refunded it after a couple week and threw in a $5 credit for my trouble.  No calls, just the regular "Where's My Stuff" channels.

I've had good experiences with Amazon support as well in general.   But I think I've also had less success on at least 1 -2 occasions more recently.   

"spend an afternoon" was more hyperbole on my part.   But some people in such a situation might expect that getting resolution from customer support would be a lengthy hassle.   

rated:
If it says "Seller Just Launched" don't go there. Look for feedback too. Got burned 2 times then one time it said "Seller Just Launched" and item showed up 3 months later direct from China. Quality was very good and price was cheap. All 3 were NHL jerseys.

rated:
Why wouldmattun said:   
jerosen said:   

Why would you buy it if you were fairly certain they weren't going to ship?  I've seen those for sale on the street for as low as $1.  You can buy all sorts of cheap stuff ranging from 10 watch button batteries which were 99c until they went up to $1.50 when I last bought some for my mother's watch last year on eBay, to connections or adapters, the last set of 2, I bought on eBay for about 80c (I almost paid 99c until I realized the price was 99c US or Canadian, my choice, which Paypal converted my 80c US payment to) to tablet and cellphone covers really cheap on Amazon or eBay, (I bought a perfectly nice tablet cover with a magnetic closing front for less than $6 on Amazon last month) from sellers in Asia, and I've always, except for once, and that was an item coming from Asia I bought from Meritline, a website that's been around a long time, and just replaced it,, had them arrive in 2 or 3 weeks.  I've also received inexpensive items that the seller obviously bought cheap from sellers in Asia than sold and mailed from the US a little bit more expensively.  If someone could buy fidgit spinners cheap enough to sell on the street for $1. someone could sell it through the mail for $3.99.  And while it should state it is mailed from Asia, 2 weeks isn't enough time to assume something isn't coming, and as someone who used to sell media on Amazon (and still has a few items up), I find Amazon refunding the money because an Item wasn't received within 2 weeks of ordering, when Amazon gives sellers 2 business days, which could mean 5 days during a holiday weekend) to mail the item, troubling.  And, that tablet cover I got last month, it came with a China Post label which had a legitimate USPS tracking number, similar to when something is shipped FedEx to your post office for delivery to you.
And, those sellers I bought from all had a bunch of ratings/positive feedback.  No new sellers.

rated:
I ordered product on July 14th and when item was shipped out, tracking information stated that item was delivered on july 10th. This is bad service from seller.

Yup, exactly as djheini said.

rated:
happened to me too this month. Got my money back from Amazon. Seller vanished from Amazon website.

Skipping 20 Messages...
rated:
Larryslug said:   I ordered some Dual layer dvds, unaware of the scam just figgered it was a price mistake. Am@zon refunded me, but did it as a price adjustment from a different order. Then just for fun I contacted the scammer seller to cancel the order, which they did. So I got another refund. I didn't wanna take up Am@zon"s time to give them back the $6.29.
  Don't feel bad. They've nickle and dime overcharged me more than that lately. I can't waste my time dealing with them over $1-$2 issues so I just let it go too. Consider us even.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017