• filter:

Ex-husband's and his wife's car crashes show up on MY CLUE report! How to Fix?

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I was divorced in 1997, and like most divorces, it was devastating financially.   When we split, I got my own policy from Allstate for about 2 years and then remarried and dropped Allstate altogether and went with a joint policy with my new husband with StateFarm.  

In 2006, I found out about the CLUE reports and ran mine. To my astonishment, all of my ex-husband's and his new wife's accidents were reported on MY CLUE report, even though I no longer had Allstate as my insurance company.  I called the old agent, from Allstate (who by the way was a very good friend of my ex-husband's whole famiy) and he was about to retire, but I spoke to his son, who was being groomed to take over his father's business. I told this "kid" what was going on and he acted like he was clueless (no pun intended) about how that information was reported. So I then wrote a letter to CLUE and told them what was happening and requested that this information be corrected and stopped from being reported. I sent the letter off and then promptly forgot about. I did keep a copy of this correspondence to CLUE, but I never followed up...

...until December of 2016. We'd sold our house and were looking to buy another, we weren't thrilled with StateFarm anymore, especially since our agent was retiring. So, while I'm running our credit reports in preparation of getting a new mortgage, I also remembered about the CLUE reports and ran mine again, just to see what was on it. ( I have had NO accidents in over 20 years.) OMG!  My ex and his wife have had at least three or four accidents each, every year!  And they have ALL been charged off on MY CLUE report! And it shows that Allstate has been looking at my CLUE report every year!  So, I guess my phone call and letter in 2006 did nothing.

How do I get this fixed? Can I sue Allstate for reporting this information because I know that my husband and I have had to have suffered a huge increase in our rates over the last 20 YEARS!! And I think there's a law about being able to sue a creditor for reporting false information on a credit report for something like 3 x the amount of loss you had. I just don't know what to do or where to start.

Anyone have any advise or been in this position before?

Thanks a bun, in advance for any ideas about what I should do.

 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Allstate hasn't been falsely reporting anything.  Your file didn't split off after your divorce, and updates from both y... (more)

Glitch99 (Jul. 20, 2017 @ 8:32p) |

It's fine to come up with the conspiracy theory that this is some sort of fraud perpetrated on you by you ex-husband's i... (more)

meade18 (Jul. 21, 2017 @ 8:40a) |

Sorry if I missed this: is the car they were driving in your name or did you have a loan on it in your name? That could ... (more)

beatme (Jul. 21, 2017 @ 9:19a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Gosh, nothing to tell you, except that you need to make better choices in insurance agents. I just use Geico and even they tell me what "events" they are charging against me.

rated:
oztrich said:   Can I sue Allstate for reporting this information because I know that my husband and I have had to have suffered a huge increase in our rates over the last 20 YEARS!!
 

good luck proving that. 

also, at any point during that time you could have changed providers if you didnt like the rates. Allstate didnt hold a gun to your head.

I was going to post actual constructive resolution information, but the whole "i'm gonna sue!!" mentality just turned me off.

rated:
If you want help, try to keep your post as succinct and drama free as possible. Unless it is fun drama, we love that shite here.
oztrich said:   I was divorced in 1997. When we split, I got my own policy from Allstate for about 2 years and then remarried and went with a joint policy with my new husband with StateFarm.  

In 2006 I ran my CLUE report. To my astonishment, all of my ex-husband's and his new wife's accidents were reported on MY CLUE report. I wrote a letter to CLUE and told them what was happening and requested that this information be corrected and stopped from being reported. I did keep a copy of this correspondence to CLUE but I never followed up.

In 2016 I remembered about the CLUE reports and ran mine again just to see what was on it. My ex and his wife have had at least three or four accidents each, every year and they have ALL been charged off on MY CLUE report! So, I guess my phone call and letter in 2006 did nothing.

How do I get this fixed? Can I sue Allstate for reporting this information because I know that my husband and I have had to have suffered a huge increase in our rates over the last 20 YEARS!!

 

  
So for actual answers
>How do I get this fixed?
https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com/dispute.jsp 
Except you are going to have to follow up on it and stay on top of it, you can't just send a letter once and then forget about it for another 10 years.

>Can I sue Allstate for reporting this information because I know that my husband and I have had to have suffered a huge increase in our rates over the last 20 YEARS!!
Get it fixed first and see what it does to your rates, then consider proceeding down this path. Regardless, you've known about this for 10+ years and haven't cared so I'm not sure I see you sticking with a legal case. I mean you found out about this AGAIN 7+ months ago and this is the first action you are taking.

rated:
Calling your Agent is the same as calling a Salesman, all talk and nothing done (except maybe trying to sell you a new policy).

You didn't follow the proper way to remove entries from your CLUE report. See Czechmeout's post, it contains a proper link.

rated:
solarUS said:   
oztrich said:   
 

also, at any point during that time you could have changed providers if you didnt like the rates. Allstate didnt hold a gun to your head.

I was going to post actual constructive resolution information, but the whole "i'm gonna sue!!" mentality just turned me off.

  
You did not read what I wrote. I left Allstate in 1999 and went to StateFarm. So, now I believe we have been unknowingly overcharged by StateFarm due to the false reporting by Allstate.

As for your other comment, Wow! Maybe if you'd been through some of the things I've been through or even knew me, you'd not be so quick to demean me on my first post on a forum that is supposed to be people helping people. I've never sued anyone in my life. I don't think that way at all. I didn't threaten or even say "I'm gonna sue!!"  And my main concern is getting this cleaned up. An aquaintance mentioned to me about the law and the recovery of damages in situations like this.

But, you have a right to your opinion, and I respect that. I wonder if you actually have any constructive suggestions anyway.  I didn't deserved your comment. Kinda puts a bad taste in my Mouth for this whole FatWallet.com forum, which, by posting, you actually represent. Maybe you are just having a bad day?

rated:
Czechmeout said:   If you want help, try to keep your post as succinct and drama free as possible. Unless it is fun drama, we love that shite here.
  
Thanks for the tip. I will try to follow your advice on posting. I rarely jump on forums to ask anything, I mostly just read others posts until I find my answer.

 

rated:
Czechmeout said:   Regardless, you've known about this for 10+ years and haven't cared so I'm not sure I see you sticking with a legal case. I mean you found out about this AGAIN 7+ months ago and this is the first action you are taking.
 

   Yes, knew about it 10 years ago, I took the action that I thought would resolve it and for some reason I thought it would be fixed. My bad. And I did find out about it AGAIN about 7 months ago. Just FYI, for the last 6 and 1/2 months, I've been undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatments, so I really had some other more important things to address...like trying to stay alive.  Sorry for the drama, that's about the farthest you can be from funny drama.

But thanks for the link.

 

rated:
oztrich said:   
But, you have a right to your opinion, and I respect that. I wonder if you actually have any constructive suggestions anyway.  I didn't deserved your comment. Kinda puts a bad taste in my Mouth for this whole FatWallet.com forum, which, by posting, you actually represent. Maybe you are just having a bad day?

  

Maybe you should sue them..

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Calling your Agent is the same as calling a Salesman, all talk and nothing done (except maybe trying to sell you a new policy).

You didn't follow the proper way to remove entries from your CLUE report. See Czechmeout's post, it contains a proper link.

  
I didn't KNOW the proper way to remove entries, that's why I posted here. Now, I have a helpful link. That's what I needed. Now, I guess I just better leave this Board. You folks are brutal.
I hope everyone here feels better about themselves.

rated:
I had an issue with my CLUE report several years ago. A previous insurance company I used reported an accident where the other party was 100% at fault as an at-fault accident on my CLUE report. I followed the dispute procedure, wrote them a letter, and it took about 60 days for it to be cleared up.

Later, I contacted the insurance company that incorrectly reported an at-fault accident for which I was not at fault to try and get some compensation and they laughed at me (ok, not literally, but they said they don't do that).
Then, I moved on and haven't thought about it until this moment.

rated:
The question that comes up is "Seriously, how much were you paying for insurance?"    And 3-4 accidents each year for 10 years?  How badly do these people drive?

Either your State Farm agent (who you seem to be happy with, deciding to leave after he retires) knew that the accidents didn't belong to you from the CLUE report and didn't include them with your quote, or was incompetent at best.  Wouldn't he have asked you about 3-4 accidents per year?  It's possible this comes up relatively often and just gets handled by the agents. Otherwise, I'd be mad at your agent as much as Allstate.

rated:
oztrich said:   
solarUS said:   
oztrich said:   
 

also, at any point during that time you could have changed providers if you didnt like the rates. Allstate didnt hold a gun to your head.

I was going to post actual constructive resolution information, but the whole "i'm gonna sue!!" mentality just turned me off.

  
You did not read what I wrote. I left Allstate in 1999 and went to StateFarm. So, now I believe we have been unknowingly overcharged by StateFarm due to the false reporting by Allstate.

As for your other comment, Wow! Maybe if you'd been through some of the things I've been through or even knew me, you'd not be so quick to demean me on my first post on a forum that is supposed to be people helping people. I've never sued anyone in my life. I don't think that way at all. I didn't threaten or even say "I'm gonna sue!!"  And my main concern is getting this cleaned up. An aquaintance mentioned to me about the law and the recovery of damages in situations like this.

But, you have a right to your opinion, and I respect that. I wonder if you actually have any constructive suggestions anyway.  I didn't deserved your comment. Kinda puts a bad taste in my Mouth for this whole FatWallet.com forum, which, by posting, you actually represent. Maybe you are just having a bad day?

  
He is having a regular day.  He is just a di**.  Monitors finance forum and posts nonsense.   

rated:
Shop around with new car insurance. tell a salesman for the new agency that you won't purchase insurance from him/her until he/she gets this issue cleared up for you.

rated:
imbatman said:   Shop around with new car insurance. tell a salesman for the new agency that you won't purchase insurance from him/her until he/she gets this issue cleared up for you.
  Clearing it up is between LexisNexis and the insurance company that misreported it. LexisNexis won't care what a third party (insurance agent) has to say about the matter.

rated:
BostonOne said:   
imbatman said:   Shop around with new car insurance. tell a salesman for the new agency that you won't purchase insurance from him/her until he/she gets this issue cleared up for you.
  Clearing it up is between LexisNexis and the insurance company that misreported it. LexisNexis won't care what a third party (insurance agent) has to say about the matter.

  but if he's trying to sell a product to a new client, he'll be incentivized to help OP out as much as possible. I bet agents know people that can help OP better than us and are familiar with the process.
Not all agents will know how to best do it, but some will.
Probably get a better response from a new agent than from current agent.

rated:
Which section does it show on your CLUE? "Reported Claim History" or "Possible Related Claim" ?? Usually it also lists "Vehicle Operator" does it list your name or the New wife?

rated:
imbatman said:   
BostonOne said:   
imbatman said:   Shop around with new car insurance. tell a salesman for the new agency that you won't purchase insurance from him/her until he/she gets this issue cleared up for you.
  Clearing it up is between LexisNexis and the insurance company that misreported it. LexisNexis won't care what a third party (insurance agent) has to say about the matter.

  but if he's trying to sell a product to a new client, he'll be incentivized to help OP out as much as possible. I bet agents know people that can help OP better than us and are familiar with the process.
Not all agents will know how to best do it, but some will.
Probably get a better response from a new agent than from current agent.

  I guess you didn't read the parts where the link to the CLUE dispute link was posted AND the post that it takes 60 days.

IMHO no agent is going to stick around that long and do that much work for a potential client.

rated:
>I called the old agent, Jerry Leonard from Allstate (who by the way was a very good friend of my ex-husband's whole famiy)
Who cares? And why are you posting someone's name on a random forum?

>I told this "kid" what was going on
You seem like an "easy" person to deal with

>I've never sued anyone in my life. I don't think that way at all.
(literally 7 hours earlier)
>Can I sue Allstate

>Kinda puts a bad taste in my Mouth for this whole FatWallet.com forum, which, by posting, you actually represent.  
Would you like to speak to management?

>Now, I guess I just better leave this Board. You folks are brutal. I hope everyone here feels better about themselves.
>you'd not be so quick to demean me on my first post on a forum that is supposed to be people helping people
You're right, this is a great forum that loves going out of their way to help people. By no means were the early comments warranted, but quit acting like you had nothing to do with the overall negativity in the thread

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
imbatman said:   
BostonOne said:   
imbatman said:   Shop around with new car insurance. tell a salesman for the new agency that you won't purchase insurance from him/her until he/she gets this issue cleared up for you.
  Clearing it up is between LexisNexis and the insurance company that misreported it. LexisNexis won't care what a third party (insurance agent) has to say about the matter.

  but if he's trying to sell a product to a new client, he'll be incentivized to help OP out as much as possible. I bet agents know people that can help OP better than us and are familiar with the process.
Not all agents will know how to best do it, but some will.
Probably get a better response from a new agent than from current agent.

  I guess you didn't read the parts where the link to the CLUE dispute link was posted AND the post that it takes 60 days.

IMHO no agent is going to stick around that long and do that much work for a potential client.

  Sure I did.
I'm offering OP another suggestion.
If I'm letting someone try to sell me insurance and they don't want to stick around that long, so be it. I'll buy from someone else.

rated:
oztrich said:   
forbin4040 said:   Calling your Agent is the same as calling a Salesman, all talk and nothing done (except maybe trying to sell you a new policy).

You didn't follow the proper way to remove entries from your CLUE report. See Czechmeout's post, it contains a proper link.

  
I didn't KNOW the proper way to remove entries, that's why I posted here. Now, I have a helpful link. That's what I needed. Now, I guess I just better leave this Board. You folks are brutal.
I hope everyone here feels better about themselves.

My post was brutal? 
I guess you haven't read my posts about Daycares or Cars or Basements with walls that are measured with 4' Levels.
You said you wanted to sue Allstate.  That's brutal.  Especially when you must've realized that you didn't follow the right path to fix your CLUE report.
I just pointed out to you that you should realize that Insurance Agents are Salesmen.  That's it.  And a reminder to read the previous post because it's got good info.

rated:
Morty said:   The question that comes up is "Seriously, how much were you paying for insurance?"    And 3-4 accidents each year for 10 years?  How badly do these people drive?

Either your State Farm agent (who you seem to be happy with, deciding to leave after he retires) knew that the accidents didn't belong to you from the CLUE report and didn't include them with your quote, or was incompetent at best.  Wouldn't he have asked you about 3-4 accidents per year?  It's possible this comes up relatively often and just gets handled by the agents. Otherwise, I'd be mad at your agent as much as Allstate.

  
I've wanted to change insurance agents for years but my husband is the kind of person who is loyal to a fault. He'd been with this agent for a long time before we married and just didn't want to change, even if it saved us money. Finally, when our agent retired, he's seeing the light. Thank goodness!

We are paying a ton of premiums, considering we are both over 60, retired, have $1500 dollar deductables, drive no more than 5,000 miles per year, live in a tiny little town with the grand population of 4,000, one 9 yr old and one 14 yr old truck, no accidents, tickets or claims at all on our State Farm policy, ever. We called our agent before he retired and said he didn't know if the CLUE reports mattered or not. I think he knew full well, but since they make a percentage of the premiums, he just didn't want to lose any money.

The claims blew me away also. I'm not sure whats happening with them, but seriously, 3-4 crashes a year, every year, for actually 20 yrs. And they claimed really small amounts, $148, $187, $250, etc. I think the largest amount was around $2500.

 

rated:
dobby10 said:   Which section does it show on your CLUE? "Reported Claim History" or "Possible Related Claim" ?? Usually it also lists "Vehicle Operator" does it list your name or the New wife?
  It's all under "Reported Claim History", it lists just MY name as Policy Holder, and one or the other of their names as the Vehicle Operator involved in the various accidents. As I said earlier, each claim was really small, nothing I'd ever claim, alot of claims of less than $200, with the largest on the last report for the last 7 years was around $2500. That in itself makes me think someone at Allstate was trying to cut them a break. And as I said, the Allstate agent has been a long-time family friend, as was the previous agent (current agent's father).

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
oztrich said:   
forbin4040 said:   Calling your Agent is the same as calling a Salesman, all talk and nothing done (except maybe trying to sell you a new policy).

You didn't follow the proper way to remove entries from your CLUE report. See Czechmeout's post, it contains a proper link.

  
I didn't KNOW the proper way to remove entries, that's why I posted here. Now, I have a helpful link. That's what I needed. Now, I guess I just better leave this Board. You folks are brutal.
I hope everyone here feels better about themselves.

My post was brutal? 
I guess you haven't read my posts about Daycares or Cars or Basements with walls that are measured with 4' Levels.
You said you wanted to sue Allstate.  That's brutal.  Especially when you must've realized that you didn't follow the right path to fix your CLUE report.
I just pointed out to you that you should realize that Insurance Agents are Salesmen.  That's it.  And a reminder to read the previous post because it's got good info.

No, your post wasn't brutal, I just felt at that point that I wasn't getting very much help, compared to how much gaff I felt was being thrown at me because I asked a quesion. It apparently did not come out the way I intended. No, I did not say I wanted to sue. I merely asked about that because someone else mentioned to me that if a company causes you to lose money because of incorrect information being reported, that there was a law that allowed one to bring suit against said company to recoup those losses. If you found out that you had been overcharged for a service for years and years, possibly several thousand dollars, and there was a legal way for you to recoup your losses,  would you not at least check it out?  I never stated I was going to sue, or even that I wanted to, but just asked the question, Could I? I should've known this isn't the place to be asking that question and just kept to the real reason I posted in the first place...how do I get this fixed?
 
I do believe because of the relationship of the Allstate agents and my ex, that this is being done on purpose, not as accidental entries, year after year, when I haven't had a policy with Allstate for approximately 18 years. Somehow I'm pretty sure that this whole activity is close to being fraudulent, but I'm not asking that question here either.

Now, I've got some information and will pursue getting my CLUE report cleaned up. Period.

rated:
You might want to contact Allstate and see if you are listed on your Ex's policy still. That might explain the CLUE reports.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   You might want to contact Allstate and see if you are listed on your Ex's policy still. That might explain the CLUE reports.
  That's what it sounds like... that you bought a new policy, but never properly closed out the original Allstate policy and he never did anything with it so you're still policy holder.

rated:
OP - To my way of thinking you have two potential problems. 
 
1) Proof of the letter you sent in 2006 - You said you have a copy, which is good.  But do you also have proof that you sent it in some traceable manner (certified or registered mail, etc.)?  This may or may not matter, because even if you do, the relevant laws may well state that too much time has passed - that the insurance company is not required by law to keep records going back that far.  (You'll have to research that.)  If so, it may be "game over".
 
2) Why you and/or your current husband took no action since 2006 - Frankly, the concept that "too much time has passed" is also the theme here.  Whether you sue, or try to resolve this in ways short of a lawsuit, one of the very first questions that will be asked by EITHER lawyers or the people you communicate with at Allstate, is - why in the world did you or your current husband (whichever one of you was paying the bills) not notice at any time during those 10 years, that the premiums you were paying reflected a much worse accident rate than you actually had?  And since you now say that "I know that my husband and I have had to have suffered a huge increase in our rates over the last 20 YEARS!!", an obvious question is going to be - well, why didn't you notice this by (at least) 2007 or 2008 - and inquire then?  And a related question - why at some point after 2006 you did not request another CLUE report, to verify that your record did indeed show just YOUR accidents (if any), as you had requested?
 
The fact that posters in this forum have, basically, suggested that you need to answer these questions, does not make them "mean" or "uncaring", whatever you may think.  I makes them realistic.
 

rated:
oztrich said:   
solarUS said:   
oztrich said:   
 

also, at any point during that time you could have changed providers if you didnt like the rates. Allstate didnt hold a gun to your head.

I was going to post actual constructive resolution information, but the whole "i'm gonna sue!!" mentality just turned me off.

  
You did not read what I wrote. I left Allstate in 1999 and went to StateFarm. So, now I believe we have been unknowingly overcharged by StateFarm due to the false reporting by Allstate.

As for your other comment, Wow! Maybe if you'd been through some of the things I've been through or even knew me, you'd not be so quick to demean me on my first post on a forum that is supposed to be people helping people. I've never sued anyone in my life. I don't think that way at all. I didn't threaten or even say "I'm gonna sue!!"  And my main concern is getting this cleaned up. An aquaintance mentioned to me about the law and the recovery of damages in situations like this.

But, you have a right to your opinion, and I respect that. I wonder if you actually have any constructive suggestions anyway.  I didn't deserved your comment. Kinda puts a bad taste in my Mouth for this whole FatWallet.com forum, which, by posting, you actually represent. Maybe you are just having a bad day?

  Allstate hasn't been falsely reporting anything.  Your file didn't split off after your divorce, and updates from both you and your ex gave continued to dump into the same report.  Your beef is with the reporting agency, not the insurance company.

rated:
It's fine to come up with the conspiracy theory that this is some sort of fraud perpetrated on you by you ex-husband's insurance agent in order to make your ex-husband's rates lower, but the likelihood of that is pretty small and the likelihood of you being able to prove it is a lot smaller. Better to just forget about that angle. It is much more likely that there is a reasonable explanation for why his stuff is ending up on your report. Glitch99 is right.

Your best course of action here is to follow the proper procedure to get your report fixed (posted by Czechmeout) and FOLLOW UP to make sure it gets fixed. Then, if you're still angry about paying higher premiums for 20 years, find a lawyer that sues insurance companies (but isn't an ambulance chaser) and ask them if you have a case. If you go that route, leave your conspiracy theory out of the discussion with the lawyer and just give them the facts.

rated:
Sorry if I missed this: is the car they were driving in your name or did you have a loan on it in your name? That could be related to the mistake on the CLUE reports. Still needs to be fixed, though.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017