• filter:

getting out of a speeding ticket

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Going to court to appeal a speeding ticket... anyone got a good excuse to get out of it? he said i was going 48 in a 35 mph zone. the ticket has radar and 'estimate' checked because the police car was moving too. i came around the corner. i noticed the car on the other side heading toward me was going really slow. then i looked to the next car, it was a police car.  it took him a good 5 seconds before he decided to turn on the siren. 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
here in MI, there are about 100 district courts ,which handle traffic tickets, and all of them have a different process ... (more)

rufflesinc (Jul. 26, 2017 @ 9:10a) |

It depends how much the ticket would affect you. I went through a similar scenario before. It's tough to get out of it w... (more)

InFlamed (Jul. 28, 2017 @ 9:10a) |

Why not post the question on Avvo?  I have received pretty good advice from local attorneys there.  

Somewhat unrelated s... (more)

snnistle (Jul. 28, 2017 @ 3:26p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Pay one of those 'Get you out of your ticket' agencies about $500

rated:

rated:
attempt to drag out case for 1+ years (keep asking court for continuances). when your court date comes, cop might no longer be with same dept. might have gotten transferred to a distant location, might be on a special assignment, or might be on vacation, etc.

rated:
Search the forum or Google. This has been answered a million times.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Pay one of those 'Get you out of your ticket' agencies about $500

$500? Gee they are leeches where you live.  They cost around $100 here. 

I wouldn't waste time with an "excuse" -- there isn't one that is going to help you unless blood is involved.  A lot matters where you are -- if your jurisdiction allows deferment or defensive driving just pay the fine and take the course/deferment.  If you are in one that has no deferments and assigns points to EVERY ticket then its worth paying a lawyer -- they often know what days a specific officer isn't going to be in court or have other "deals" with the court.

I had a ticket once that was 2 miles faster than technically allowed deferment -- but the lawyer I retained ($85? or so) sent a letter to the judge and I just got a longer deferment period.  I paid the fine (max for Texas Muni courts of $300) and it dropped off the record 180 days later.  AFAIK Texas muni fines have been $300 max for 20 years now -- that was a lot more money back then.    77 coming down a freeway offramp onto a 55MPH access road.  Gotta love Richardson, they have three places like that off of US75 and at least one of them always has an officer writing tickets.  (I later worked in the area and noticed the patterns)

rated:
Which state? There is a startup website that auto handles all the court for you for less than the ticket fine.  www.tikd.com

Otherwise invest in a radar detector and use waze

rated:
1) PYBDB
2) Anyone would need way more information than "48 in a 35 mobile radar" to help you. Every jurisdiction and judge is different. You aren't going to "beat" it without a lawyer and a lawyer most likely isn't going to try and "beat" it either - he's just going to try and get you your money's worth. It makes sense to find out what happens in your jurisdiction for 48 in a 35 for people with a driving record like yours that show up and ask the judge for mercy. Then determine if it's worth paying a lawyer money to hopefully get an outcome better than that. No lawyer will promise what they can do for you, but if they are in that traffic court often enough (and that's who you should be hiring), they can tell you what is likely to happen.

rated:
meade18 said:   It makes sense to find out what happens in your jurisdiction for 48 in a 35 for people with a driving record like yours that show up and ask the judge for mercy.
+1, and not just because of the cop avatar. Check out your local public law library, they usually have some sort of guide for traffic court specific to the local jurisdiction(s). I think in most places, you can get the fine significantly reduced just by showing up and pleading "no contest".

rated:
What state and what kind of police?
There's lots of shall requirements in the mutcd that may lead to a sign not being to code and therefore unenforceable.

rated:
MtKea said:   Going to court to appeal a speeding ticket... anyone got a good excuse to get out of it?

Just inform the Judge that you are a sovereign citizen and his laws do not apply to you.

rated:
woowoo2 said:   
MtKea said:   Going to court to appeal a speeding ticket... anyone got a good excuse to get out of it?
  Just inform the Judge that you are a sovereign citizen and his laws do not apply to you.

Bonus points if you can engage in a >5 minute speech regarding the importance of the fringe on the flag in the courtroom. 

rated:
Ask weseka for help.  He seems to like to fight against law enforcement, has used every excuse he can think of, and won't back down, even if it makes more sense to just pay the fine.  

rated:
woowoo2 said:   MtKea said:   Going to court to appeal a speeding ticket... anyone got a good excuse to get out of it?

For fun, look up the campaign contributions of the prosecutor and judge, both state and federal. Incesteous here.

rated:
woowoo2 said:   

Bonus points if you get tased outside the courtroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H6xJHbY_FA

rated:
snnistle said:   Ask weseka for help.  He seems to like to fight against law enforcement, has used every excuse he can think of, and won't back down, even if it makes more sense to just pay the fine.  
  what joy is there in convention?

pay $100 fine = out $100, but might save several hundred dollars in time

refuse fine & call gov't out on its bullshit = loss of several hundred dollars in time, but gain of legal knowledge (with potential for recurring usefulness) + (at least) tens of thousands of dollars in psychic benefits (aka uproarious fun) 

rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   
woowoo2 said:   

If you follow that video which has parts removed, he has no first name, no last name, but you can call him Robert..hahaha
And he isn't a citizen of the US but is one of Idaho.

And after losing the court case, upon appeal, the judge laughed at him.

rated:
Get a book about beating tickets covering your state. The generic Beat Your Ticket and Win (https://www.amazon.com/Beat-Your-Ticket-Court-Win/dp/1413319157/... is not bad, although the California version has state specific advice. Go to the library and find similar books for your state, if they exist. 

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   
woowoo2 said:   

If you follow that video which has parts removed, he has no first name, no last name, but you can call him Robert..hahaha
And he isn't a citizen of the US but is one of Idaho.

And after losing the court case, upon appeal, the judge laughed at him.

Yeah, I picked one of the shorter edited ones to post here on purpose.  It is a rather popular video.

The judge isn't the only one who has laughed at him.  I would put that number in the millions by now...

rated:
calwatch said:   Get a book about beating tickets covering your state. The generic Beat Your Ticket and Win (https://www.amazon.com/Beat-Your-Ticket-Court-Win/dp/1413319157/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1413319157&pd_rd_r=8KDSVKV22P9EFNGW6ADY&pd_rd_w=tqcUb&pd_rd_wg=HKWdq&psc=1&refRID=8KDSVKV22P9EFNGW6ADY) is not bad, although the California version has state specific advice. Go to the library and find similar books for your state, if they exist. 
  here in MI, there are about 100 district courts ,which handle traffic tickets, and all of them have a different process . some you meet with a police rep for deal (some one on one, some they call everyone into a conf room and give everyone the same deal), some you meet with assistant to prosecutor, some you meet with actual prosecutor, some you actually go before a judge  and he makes the deal (no officer or prosecutor present). So the michigan one would need 100 chapters lol

rated:
It depends how much the ticket would affect you. I went through a similar scenario before. It's tough to get out of it without paying any money though. Sometimes, even if you show up by yourself, you might get the prosecutor to cut you a deal as long as you don't have a lengthy record. In the end, the really just want money for the city.

rated:
Why not post the question on Avvo?  I have received pretty good advice from local attorneys there.  

Somewhat unrelated story about the cost of fighting a ticket:
I lived in NYC for 17 years.  One rainy evening, I am travelling south on the Palisades Pkwy in New Jersey.  I pull into the last gas station before the GWB, since the gas was significantly cheaper than NYC.  I fill up the tank, and my wife decided she needed to pee.  There wasn't a parking spot available, so I wait with the motor running in front of the store.  I hear a horn honking.  Look around, cannot tell where it's coming from because every pump and parking spot is occupied.  About two minutes later, a parkway police officer walks up from behind and slaps a citation on my windshield, and walks away.  I get out and realize I'm in a fire lane, but didn't see the writing on the pavement because it's half way worn off and the glare from the rain made it impossible to see from inside the car.  I walk up to the cop and ask him if we can talk about this.  He wouldn't even acknowlege I was there.  So, I take out my cell phone and snap a picture of him and then go in front of his car and snap a picture of his plate.  Then, he comes up to my window, snaps a picture of me and my plate.  I roll down my window and share a few snarky words with him as he's walking away.  I'm thinking I can do a NYC-style trial by mail, but oh no, not in Jersey.  To plead not guilty to the $100 +/- parking ticket would have required me taking 1 day off work and spending it in the court, just to get an actual court date for my hearing.  Then I would need to take a 2nd day off work for the hearin.  Plus, the legal fees involved would have totalled nearly 2x the actual cost ot plead guilty.  Not worth it.

Lesson: make sure it's woth the cost to fight the ticket.  Some crooked states have it set up where it is just easier and cheaper to plead guilty and pay.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017