• filter:

USAA - Are residents of Bexar County still eligible for membership?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
USAA
Are residents of Bexar County still eligible for membership?

USAA previously allowed residents of Bexar County to join with full membership privileges. I chatted with a member of the bank today who would not confirm or deny residency eligibility allowances but would only state an active or prior military relationship was required.

So unless there are other unadvertised ways to qualify with residency or through other means, such as visiting a branch locally to prove residency, then it would seem to me that residency qualifiers are no longer an option with USAA.

Any thoughts or ideas on this allowance or how to otherwise qualify for membership with the bank?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I have been a member for 45 years and don't think county residence ever counted. I had military service and know my dependents qualify. I know things changed some when the officers only was changed to active military after the Vietnam draw down. Foreign service officers with state were added at about the same time. I have been a Bexar County resident for 30 years and don't remember that. I can remember Security Service FCU opening their field to Bexar residents. I think you must be confused.

rated:

rated:
yes thats how i got mine but its very limited   you are ineligible for most promotions and some cards

rated:
I have been a member for 49 years and I definitely remember membership being open to Bexar Co. residents, but I read that a long, long time ago.

rated:
fattenmeup said:   USAA 
Are residents of Bexar County still eligible for membership?

USAA previously allowed residents of Bexar County to join with full membership privileges. I chatted with a member of the bank today who would not confirm or deny residency eligibility allowances but would only state an active or prior military relationship was required.

So unless there are other unadvertised ways to qualify with residency or through other means, such as visiting a branch locally to prove residency, then it would seem to me that residency qualifiers are no longer an option with USAA

Any thoughts or ideas on this allowance or how to otherwise qualify for membership with the bank?

What did they say when you did more than chat with them?  Walk INTO their San Antonio retail branch and ask: 10750 W I-10 
San Antonio, TX 78288

Membership is free -- just say "I want to join" and they will get down to cases -- .  Historically they have opened the membership pool a few times but have some services (and offers) that are restricted to members with "a military nexus."  NavyFed has done the same thing in the past.   So you can certainly join, but maybe not use all of their offerings.

If you are IN Bexar County and that is an eligibility I bet MONEY that the Bexar County branch knows it...

rated:
Rules are different now. Grammm-Leach Bliley undid the old Glass Steagall Act limitation and USAA can have other members . The restrictions were under Glass Steagall you could not have a bank and an insurance company under common ownership or control with certain exceptions for banks and insurance companies that were "closed field". USAA was a closed field insurance company which changed after McCarty vs McCarty as to ex-spouses and dependents. It is also open to NATO military personnel stationed or extended TDY in the US. Looking at Glass Steagall, USAA had to have some sort of nexus for membership in either insurance or banking. . Willie Nelson and Johnnie Cash as they were active duty at Lackland. They were enlisted and could not be shareholder members eligible for the dividend.

Uncle Mikey you are probably qualified through taking the oath to uphold and defend the constitution.

rated:
I think USAA merged/bought a local credit union long ago that was limited to Bexar county. Penfed did too, for that matter. (Alamo?)

Penfed also bought/merged with AAFES CU, which is how we ended up with a Dallas branch.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017