• filter:

Update: Teen travelling to Europe

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I got some great advice regarding my 14 year old son travelling to Europe in this thread:
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=52&thr...

I thought I'd give you guys an update since he just got back home!  I tried to open a Charles Schwab account to get him a debit card with no foreign transaction fee.  I had no luck because they require you to be 18 to get a debit card.  I went to my credit union to get him a debit card, nope, you need to be 16.  At that point I had no other options, I went with the credit union's pre-paid card option.  They have a 1% FTF, but I knew he would't be spending much.  They also allow me to monitor transactions, add money via the web and will personalize the card with his name.   I also got a new Chase Sapphire Preferred in my name and added him as an authorized user.  I also set up a PIN for cash advances just in case.  The debit card didn't have a chip, so I was nervous it would't be accepted.  So, I sent him with some US cash, a prepaid debit card and a credit card with no FTF.

I put him on the plane and started monitoring the accounts.  Evidently, I didn't do a good enough job of laying out which card to use for what because the first transaction he made was a cash advance on the credit card.  *sigh*  There's a $10 fee and immediate interest.  So, I paid off the balance so as not to accrue interest and set up a bit of a credit balance.  He didn't have consistent wifi access, so texting him didn't lead to any responses.  After he finished the trip (and after he had made 2 more cash advances), he finally texted back that he was confused about which card to use.

Ah well, the best laid plans...it only cost me $30, but he had an awesome trip.  Thank you all so much for your help in planning it, it helped calm me down!

Joanne

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Consider the $30 to be cheap tuition in the school of life. 

rated:
You could have gotten him an ATM card with your name. I have forgotten where I have my ATM and had to travel overseas and had to bring my wife's card. You are not showing an id at the ATM.

rated:
I love it when people care to post an update.
Thanks OP.

rated:
I forgot to mention the reason he picked the credit card was he thought he needed to use it for everything because "you know, points and stuff." I guess he does listen when I talk about credit cards! LOL!

rated:
Ug, double post. Sorry.

rated:
eddierd said:   You could have gotten him an ATM card with your name. I have forgotten where I have my ATM and had to travel overseas and had to bring my wife's card. You are not showing an id at the ATM.
  It may be a small risk, but when traveling overseas I wouldnt want to get accidentally caught up in something and be found with someone else's credit card in my possession.  Especially when 14 years old, with (presumably) limited ways to prove my own identity.  So many ways that could go wrong.

rated:
Glitch99 said:   
eddierd said:   You could have gotten him an ATM card with your name. I have forgotten where I have my ATM and had to travel overseas and had to bring my wife's card. You are not showing an id at the ATM.
  It may be a small risk, but when traveling overseas I wouldnt want to get accidentally caught up in something and be found with someone else's credit card in my possession.  Especially when 14 years old, with (presumably) limited ways to prove my own identity.  So many ways that could go wrong.

Such as?    

rated:
linglingfool said:   
Glitch99 said:   

Such as?    

I was on a school trip in NYC decades ago, and a student was randomly (and falsely, he just happened to be walking slightly ahead of the group) fingered by a "witness" as having dumped something illicit in a trash can.  Held up the group for the afternoon, and he spent the remaining day of the trip at the police station before being released.  I'd hate to add a foreign country, lack of ID (being 14 yrs old), and a credit card saying I'm someone else to an equation like that.  As I said, a small risk, but potentially serious one non-the-less.

rated:
Cash only in the red light district.

rated:
OP, in the future, take a marker pen and write on each card what it is good for
Thanks for the update

rated:
Glitch99 said:   

If the kid and the card have the same last name? I think that's really low risk.

rated:
If my kid did a cash advance with an excuse that "I was confused," his head would be on a spike.

rated:
Tell him to stay out of bars in Greece!!

rated:
Tell him to stay out of bars in Greece!!

rated:
My first trip to Europe at 25 I got robbed in the Marseilles train station by a Morocan man...but I kept my $ separate from my credit cards...but he got my passport....Stay out of Marseilles.....

rated:
Glitch99 said:   

Presumably someone traveling overseas has a passport!

rated:
These update threads are great except the crap people post without reading the OP and realizing that the kid is back from the trip.

rated:
The concept of debit card vs. credit card with respect to getting cash at an ATM is a good lesson to learn early on. Concept of there being a fee for using cash that's not yours (credit card) vs. simply withdrawing what's yours (debit card) is not as obvious as it seems for a 14-yr old. Which is a good reason to start kids with a debit card only and not sign them up as authorized users on credit cards unless you can't help it (such as in OP's case).

Anyway, thanks for the update OP.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017