• filter:

I have had forged checks written from my account. Is it better to close account or tell them to cancel missing checks.

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I have a checking account that someone had written and forged my sisters signature. The account is frozen. Is it better to freeze the checks or close the account. I believe that they stole a check book which at least has at least 100 checks.  Can I get the bank to find out who cashed the check. It has been over a year when it happened.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Go to your local police headquarters and ask that question. The worst that can happen is they would say "No".

Stolat (Jul. 26, 2017 @ 8:52a) |

roumor and annecdote are NOT the same as fact whether it be about politics, religion, sports, food, etc.

POLICE do not pr... (more)

harrisonh (Jul. 26, 2017 @ 9:32a) |

depends on your jurisdiction.
In many cases it would already be past the statute of limitations
the paper trail has alread... (more)

harrisonh (Jul. 26, 2017 @ 9:35a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Switch to a new account ASAP. Unless you want to pay stop payment fee for 100 checks.

You say "cashed" check so someone got cash from the the bank? I doubt video exists now since it's over a year ago. Why are you only concerned about it now?!

rated:
I have to pay for 100 checks being canceled? how much would that cost?

rated:
A million dollars

rated:
Is this your sisters account or yours?
If this happened over a year ago, is it something you only recently discovered?

Stop payment fees on individual checks usually run $10-30 each. So you'd be spending > $1000 to stop all 100 checks.
You're better off closing the account.

rated:
jerosen said:   Stop payment fees on individual checks usually run $10-30 each. So you'd be spending > $1000 to stop all 100 checks.
You're better off closing the account.

Many banks have a max. limit on stop payment fee for a series of checks; usually the cost of five or ten checks. Regardless, this situation calls for closing the account.

OP mentions " The account is frozen". I suspect there is a negative balance on the account (possibly due to the forged check being cashed) and bank wouldn't close the account unless sister brings account balance to zero.

rated:
both of our names are on account.

rated:
The account has about $6000 dollars the person who wrote the checks rote out about 10 checks mostly ranging from about $60 t0 $100. He did not take that much out.

rated:
sawol said:   The account has about $6000 dollars the person who wrote the checks rote out about 10 checks mostly ranging from about $60 t0 $100. He did not take that much out.
Thanks for that detail. Are you sure this was indeed forged and not some "misunderstanding" between the two of you. Someone forging ten checks is likely to try some with higher dollar amounts.

In any case, close the account.

rated:
This bank accound  is  used for life insurance policies totaling $500,000.   My sister and I being a few of the people getting the money once my parents die.

rated:
Interesting , a life insurance policy that wants your account # ahead of time.

rated:
I had a check I wrote stolen out of the mail, altered to a larger amount and cashed. I filed a police report and the bank (Wells Fargo) reimbursed me. Wells Fargo wrote me saying if I decide not to change my account number they wouldn't reimburse me if this happened in the future. My hands were tied, so I did that. It was a pain to change all the bill pays, direct deposits, etc., I had linked to that account.

rated:
sawol said:   This bank accound  is  used for life insurance policies totaling $500,000.   My sister and I being a few of the people getting the money once my parents die.
  Account that pays the premium or account that the insurance payout will be paid into?
In any case, call insurance and give them a different checking account number.

rated:
sawol (OP) - You said "I believe that they stole a check book which at least has at least 100 checks." 

One thing to ask yourself is who, these days (or really, ever), carries around a "check book" with more than 25 checks in it, maximum?  (Totally aside from the question of who uses a lot of paper checks at all anymore, which is a separate issue.)  Who even puts over 25, or at absolute maximum 50, checks in a checkbook?

Are you instead saying that a "box of checks" was stolen, as opposed to a "check book"?  If so that's a different kind of theft, and you'll need to tell the authorities that, because that is likely quite a different crime scenario. It may imply a theft of a box of checks from your sister's domicile, or maybe yours, rather than a theft from her actual (portable) checkbook, whilst she was out and about. 

That's just one of many puzzling things about your anecdote.  Here's a "checkbook" hint from the long ago - people who assume that they have a legitimate right to write checks on an account, will usually start with whatever check number is next in the numerical sequence.  People who do not, will often surreptitiously start from somewhere quite far down in that sequence.  Clearly, their intent is to ensure that these checks are not "found out" for a while.  Sure, these days, any legitimate user can check it online.  But, OP's post proves that not everyone does check it, at least in a timely fashion.

So, were these checks next-up in the queue, or were they much farther down?

rated:
Keeping the account "as is" would be foolish.

As a Wells Fargo account holder who has been thru this:
Make a police report
Go thru the account on line.
PRINT anything you care to have a record of including all statements you care about.
Wells Fargo can make you a new account on the spot (I recommend this be done in person) and order free checkbook in the new number.
Transfer the account balance to the new account.

AFTER that is done, you will loose all online access to the affected account. Having the bank print anything is expensive.

rated:
Most of the checks were numbered around the 130 to150 range and a few number around the 190 range now that I have looked at most of the checks.  It is a account to write checks to pay for life insurance.

rated:
Here's info from "someone else's" checking fiasco: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1577328

We should wait for you to tell us what the police said and what your banker said.

rated:
sawol said:   Most of the checks were numbered around the 130 to150 range and a few number around the 190 range now that I have looked at most of the checks.  It is a account to write checks to pay for life insurance.

No offense but this is a moot point except perhaps for the bank to investigate. Per the OCC which regulates banks: 

Answers about Forgery and Fraud I just received my account statement and noticed there were forged checks. When I notified the bank, it claimed the forgeries were due to my negligence. What can I do?National banks are generally required to reimburse customers for forged checks. However, based on individual circumstances, the bank can investigate to determine if the customer is entitled to a reimbursement.Whether the bank is liable for the customer's loss depends on the specific circumstances of the case. Generally, a bank is liable for accepting a check that has been forged, altered, or improperly endorsed. However, if the bank can prove two things—that it accepted the check in good faith and exercised ordinary care and diligence in handling the transaction—it may not be liable.If your actions—the way the check or checkbook was handled, issued, completed, or made payable—contributed to the making of the forgery, you may be at least partially liable. Generally, the bank will require you to complete an affidavit. It may also request that you file a police report.  

https://www.helpwithmybank.gov/get-answers/bank-accounts/forgery...

rated:
FYI, the OP posted additional information about this issue in a prior Finance thread: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1578184

rated:
I heard the police would not proseceute something as small as a $1500 crime.

rated:
I had this happen to me a couple years ago.
Was a real pain.
I gave the bank all the check numbers and amounts of checks I had written.
They closed the account but allowed those checks to be cashed.
Got a police report and found out the case had gone federal.

rated:
Can you do police report after a year. Will it help?

rated:
sawol said:   I heard the police would not proseceute something as small as a $1500 crime.
  In my case, the checks were less than that and the guy ended up in jail for close to a year for multiple counts.

rated:
sawol said:   Can you do police report after a year. Will it help?
  Go to your local police headquarters and ask that question. The worst that can happen is they would say "No".

rated:
sawol said:   I heard the police would not proseceute something as small as a $1500 crime.
  roumor and annecdote are NOT the same as fact whether it be about politics, religion, sports, food, etc.

POLICE do not prosecute a crime. It depends on what they are called in various jurisdictions, but the function is that of a "district attorney" that prosecutes crime.
The police are bound by law to allow anyone to FILE a claim. That does not mean that the outcome is what the victim wants. That does not mean there is evidence to support the claim. And just because they don't drop every single other crime just to solve the one crime, does NOT mean they are not supporting it.
We also have to distinguish between civil and criminal issues

rated:
sawol said:   Can you do police report after a year. Will it help?
  depends on your jurisdiction.
In many cases it would already be past the statute of limitations
the paper trail has already been lost too, Any DVR recordings at retailers, etc.

We're hoping this works out for you, but a year later makes it not likely to have the outcome we'd all like

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017