• filter:

T-mobile charged me ~$600 for international calling in 1 week even with a international call block.

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Hi,

I just wanted to see what options do I have. Long story short: I became a T-Mobile customer in 2011. I decided to take over the finance of my family. i.e my old parents who cant use technology. I was charged $20-30 on international calling at that time. I put a block on all my lines for international calling at that time. Fast forward to July, 2017 - I was charged $500 for 1 week on international calling from my moms phone. She is very technologically challenged and does not understand/know what she was doing. I called T-Mobile and asked them how am I being charged for international calling?

The first representative said - there were changes to my account in 2014 and international block was removed at that time (T-Mobile 's fault). We will refund you your money back and charge you $15 for the month. I was totally fine with that. She comes back 15 mins later and says actually I can't do that. Talk to my manager - manager says your account changes were done in June, but the block was removed in march. I will file a claim and we will see what happens. Fast forward - 1 week I am being told an authorized user removed the block. However, they don't know who the authorized user is or where it was removed. They literally have no records of it. I am 100% positive I did not remove the block. T-Mobile is not budging and says that I owe them ~600 for a 1 week of phone calls.  What are my options?

Sorry, I just feel so helpless. I feel like I am in the right here. The telephone company offered me a service - removed the service without my knowledge and then charged me $600. I understand that my mother made the phone call. But, what are parents with children doing?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Sorry for the TC but have you looked into http://4gcommunity.org/  ?

I use a similar service from a local provider who ch... (more)

Stubtify (Aug. 01, 2017 @ 10:46p) |

Reminder: When using the Google Voice app, calls are still made using cell voice service, which WILL charge cell minutes... (more)

NEDeals (Aug. 02, 2017 @ 12:30a) |

Update: After going back and forth. T-Mobile finally decided to give me a full refund of the charges. Thank you everyone... (more)

beawareindn (Aug. 05, 2017 @ 10:52p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
beawareindn said:   I understand that my mother made the phone call. But, what are parents with children doing?

Pay the bill, take away her phone....

rated:
Is it possible one of your parents removed the block so they could make an international call? They could have just called support...

rated:
You can try contacting executive customer service. About 5 years ago, I escalated a complicated case to T-Mobile executive customer service and they were able to resolve it.

rated:
File a BBB complaint. It worked for me about 5 years ago when I had a much more substantial (2k) international calling bill due to them not putting in a block I requested.

You can also try arguing from the standpoint of what it would cost if you had a international calling plan in place as it would probably be closer to what it cost T-Mobile to place those calls.

Finally, if that doesn't work go through their dispute resolution process. Send them a letter in writing which will require them to negotiate the claim in good faith and if you can't come to an agreement move for arbitration. According to terms T-Mobile will pay all arbitration fees so they may at least be willing to settle for a lower amount to avoid those fees.

rated:
@Jerosen
I spoke to them. And they say they haven't (mom is not an authorized user). Also it was removed in march of 2014 and there were no international calls made till July of 2017. This makes me think that T-Mobile is just pulling things out of their ass.

@Bostonone 
I just got off the phone and I was able to escalate it the executive people. Thank you for that suggestion!

rated:
T-Mobile phone support is pretty bad. Their afterhours / weekend support team is EXTREMELY bad.

Their twitter support is top notch, however.

rated:
Phone companies love to lose blocks that are keeping them from making money.

rated:
When I signed up for my tmobile prepaid plan back around 2005, at that time they were not PIN protecting the accounts. Quite a few years later, I one day got some unusual text message about my plan, and then I started receiving text alerts from some service I hadn't signed up for, and then calls from strange people. To make a long story short, my phone number got changed by someone else. This person must've just went into a store and asked to have their number changed, and they must have given the employee my number (or the employee typoed the number). And since my account didn't have a PIN for them to verify against, they just happily changed my number to a new number and gave that other person MY new number. Luckily I noticed in time and I was able to recover my original number (and we added a PIN to the account). The kicker was a few years later when I called in to make a change on my account....and they didn't bother to verify my PIN before changing it.

So I was just thinking maybe your account didn't have a PIN or they didn't bother to verify it, and when someone else tried to have their own international block removed it got yours removed instead.

rated:
The OP's situation provides a strong case to have a prepaid plan without automatic payment.  You can only spend/lose what's in your account.

Yes, prepaid doesn't work for everyone.

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   The OP's situation provides a strong case to have a prepaid plan without automatic payment.  You can only spend/lose what's in your account.

Plus, I believe, most prepaid plans don't work internationally, or just in the U.S./Canada/Mexico. Problem solved.

rated:
Does mom want to make those types of calls? It shouldn't be more than $15/mo to add unlimited international calling to her phone, unless you have a T-Mobile plan that isn't eligible. (but I guess it is eligible, as it seems that's what T-Mobile was originally offering retroactively).

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   The OP's situation provides a strong case to have a prepaid plan without automatic payment.  You can only spend/lose what's in your account.

Yes yes yes 1000x YES!

And I have to say except for the "Free Flagship Phones" [NOT]. Almost all individuals & most families would save money with Prepaid Plans.

rated:
beawareindn said:   She is very technologically challenged and does not understand/know what she was doing. 
  Then why did you even get her a smart phone? Isn't a basic wired landline more user friendly for seniors anyway? 

rated:
atikovi said:   
beawareindn said:   She is very technologically challenged and does not understand/know what she was doing. 
  Then why did you even get her a smart phone? Isn't a basic wired landline more user friendly for seniors anyway? 

Ground her.

rated:
beawareindn said:   I understand that my mother made the phone call. 

Was this an "oops, she dialed a bunch of numbers that turned into an unintentional international call" situation, or did she intentionally call and engage with someone for an international conversation?

Regardless, agree with what others have said about prepaid.  No worries for you if the carrier doesn't offer international service at all. 

On the other hand, if your mother wants/needs to make legitimate international calls and you're blocking it, then you're being pretty $hitty.

rated:
atikovi said:   

Have you PRICED wired landlines lately?  They cost more than a cell phone.

My Stepmother has to have one, for her fall monitor.  Unfortunately a cellular enabled one is not an option, since the state provides the service for free.  
zapjb said: Yes yes yes 1000x YES! And I have to say except for the "Free Flagship Phones" [NOT]. Almost all individuals & most families would save money with Prepaid Plans. reply quote top bottom

Yeah, unless one of you needs a Hotspot with a decent data capacity.  That is the one majik bullet that keeps me on Tmobile versus MetroPCS or Cricket.    It is my backup to TWC that allows me to work from home -- TWC has the same "maintenance window" as the technology I support.  It isn't often but it happens.  I also have a heavy duty UPS that is good for a few hours of my work laptop, router, and monitor usage.  Worth every penny not to have to drive 20 miles one way to the office...

Worked through 2 short power outs and 3 TWC interruptions so far this year.

The savings would be about $30/month for the 2 lines I have to go prepaid, but those are very limited or NO hotspot.  (both are more expensive than postpaid if you add hotspot to a handset)  Tethering is limited to 10GB on Tmo, but that is more than enough.  ($100 for two unlimited lines currently)

---
What kills me is that there is no "easy" way to set up android for hotspot/tether for the technology illiterate.  No way to set "auto-tether-if PC connected" and no true "one button" hotspot that works.  So I have to pay for old DSL for my stepmother too.  For my own sanity.  I just got her to switch to a (neutered) smartphone for the first time.  Installed an "elder-friendly"  application to it.   It has 10G hotspot as well which is FAR more than she needs.  

rated:
Color me confused.

What is OP talking about? I thought it was a TM cell plan. Then OP is talking about a landline.

rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   
atikovi said:   

Most everybody has home internet and TV. A triple bundle adding phone doesn't cost more than a few dollars a month extra.

rated:
zapjb said:   Color me confused.

What is OP talking about? I thought it was a TM cell plan. Then OP is talking about a landline.

Indeed, you are confused. OP is beawareindn, and has only posted twice, mentioned tmobile practically every other sentence, and never once mentioned a landline.

rated:
LOL TY

10char

rated:
burgerwars said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   The OP's situation provides a strong case to have a prepaid plan without automatic payment.  You can only spend/lose what's in your account.

Plus, I believe, most prepaid plans don't work internationally, or just in the U.S./Canada/Mexico. Problem solved.
I was surprised that my T-Mobile Legacy $10/year Pay-As-You-Go plan worked in the UK, Ireland, and the Caribbean.

rated:
I know alot of people have questions about - why not just get a international plan for $15.

My parents call internationally once in awhile and when they do the binge. So, it made more sense to use Google voice 0.1 cent/min for international calling then T-Mobile 's international plan.

Google voice app updated and did not work and the calls went through T-Mobile. So, the calls went through T-Mobile - was charged $3/min for 1 week. If the T-Mobile block was there it would have prevented her from calling through T-Mobile

Thanks for all your help guys!

I am going to wait for T-Mobile to get back to me. If they don't budge - I will go through BBB and Arbitration as other people have recommended.

rated:
Sadly, if this was a landline, the state utilities regulator could have helped you.
Try complaining to the FCC and local news. Remind everyone that you put a block on the line they acknowledged.
Keep fighting, and don't let up, they often settle screwups like this for pennies.

Once you settle, port the number to "Ultra Mobile". They resell T-Mobile service prepaid and they have unlimited calling to 60+ countries built into their $20/month plan.
Their multi-month allows you to buy a full year for $230.

rated:
atikovi said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   
atikovi said:   

Most everybody has home internet and TV. A triple bundle adding phone doesn't cost more than a few dollars a month extra.

So you are talking about VOIP and not wired landline.   So, again, and let me change the emphasis...  "have you priced WIRED landlines lately?"  Wired landline is generally considered to be copper POTS lines.

Slow DSL+ phone in a small town is more than you think.  Cable there isn't that expensive ($19?) but its $27 to add a phone and $60 to add internet.  They don't "bundle" because they don't HAVE to.  My stepmother ended up on Dish because she wanted a channel that wasn't on the local lineup.  (I kid you not, she basically just watches 70s re-runs of Westerns)    I pay half as much for twice the speed (probably 3-4 times the speed) in the "big city."  Of course a friend of mine lives out a little ways and has to use satellite for internet...  not even DSL and he isn't that far out of the city.  (rural 6-8 miles outside Greensville)   

Its nice, and all, that you have cheap cable bundles available, really...

rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   
atikovi said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   
atikovi said:   

So you are talking about VOIP and not wired landline.   So, again, and let me change the emphasis...  "have you priced WIRED landlines lately?"  Wired landline is generally considered to be copper POTS lines.

Slow DSL+ phone in a small town is more than you think.  Cable there isn't that expensive ($19?) but its $27 to add a phone and $60 to add internet.  They don't "bundle" because they don't HAVE to.  My stepmother ended up on Dish because she wanted a channel that wasn't on the local lineup.  (I kid you not, she basically just watches 70s re-runs of Westerns)    I pay half as much for twice the speed (probably 3-4 times the speed) in the "big city."  Of course a friend of mine lives out a little ways and has to use satellite for internet...  not even DSL and he isn't that far out of the city.  (rural 6-8 miles outside Greensville)   

Cable voice and telco voice are, except for a few corner cases, functionally identical from a consumer point of view.  

rated:
OP,

I hope you can resolve this. Being this is seems to be happening a lot to others as well, consider revising your strategy in the future. I have a prepaid TMobile cell for my mom, takes $10 a year to keep it alive. For home, I got OOMA with very reasonable international rate.

rated:
The problem is actually with GV and the native dialer app on some phones. The call doesn't go through GV due to an error and then GV defaults to the carrier # and pushes the call out.

To be safe I start all my itn'l calls either from the hangouts dialer or from a browser which then rings my cellphone.

rated:
Why not just ask the guilty party to pay the phone bill? I guarantee they won't run up a $600 bill again.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   Why not just ask the guilty party to pay the phone bill? I guarantee they won't run up a $600 bill again.
  Did your mom dropped you on the head when you were a baby?

rated:
cestmoi123 said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   
atikovi said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   
atikovi said:   

Slow DSL+ phone in a small town is more than you think.  Cable there isn't that expensive ($19?) but its $27 to add a phone and $60 to add internet.  They don't "bundle" because they don't HAVE to.  My stepmother ended up on Dish because she wanted a channel that wasn't on the local lineup.  (I kid you not, she basically just watches 70s re-runs of Westerns)    I pay half as much for twice the speed (probably 3-4 times the speed) in the "big city."  Of course a friend of mine lives out a little ways and has to use satellite for internet...  not even DSL and he isn't that far out of the city.  (rural 6-8 miles outside Greensville)   

Cable voice and telco voice are, except for a few corner cases, functionally identical from a consumer point of view.  

The main one being that the telco line works during a power outage, yes.  (I work in telecom)  I would be more than willing to use cable, but she put in Dish.  I have to go out there this week to work on her phone lines which have been down for a while.

It would cost $87/mo to replace her DSL+wireline with cable internet+voip.  Which is comparable to what she is paying AT&T.  Her Dish is $22? a month or so, no HD basic.  (she has an older ED Plasma set that actually works really well for older non-HD stuff)  She actually pays the bills on these so all I can do is suggest.

I do pay for her T-Mobile bill, and if I could get her phone to hotspot easily she could lose the DSL.   Still stuck with copper line for her "I fell" box.  (she has had multiple knee/hip surgeries, and I suspect the local FD has her address memorized)

rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   
cestmoi123 said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   
atikovi said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   
atikovi said:   

The main one being that the telco line works during a power outage, yes.  (I work in telecom)  I would be more than willing to use cable, but she put in Dish.  I have to go out there this week to work on her phone lines which have been down for a while.

It would cost $87/mo to replace her DSL+wireline with cable internet+voip.  Which is comparable to what she is paying AT&T.  Her Dish is $22? a month or so, no HD basic.  (she has an older ED Plasma set that actually works really well for older non-HD stuff)  She actually pays the bills on these so all I can do is suggest.

I do pay for her T-Mobile bill, and if I could get her phone to hotspot easily she could lose the DSL.   Still stuck with copper line for her "I fell" box.  (she has had multiple knee/hip surgeries, and I suspect the local FD has her address memorized)

Sorry for the TC but have you looked into http://4gcommunity.org/  ?

I use a similar service from a local provider who charges $15 a month. Unlimited Sprint 4g hotspot. 

rated:
Reminder: When using the Google Voice app, calls are still made using cell voice service, which WILL charge cell minutes (if applicable) and international charges (if applicable). The Google Voice app does change the number dialed so it goes through Google Voice which then provides the applicable caller ID for the other end, etc.

To avoid making phone calls via the cell phone voice service, use the Hangouts app (or another VOIP type service like Skype, etc.).

rated:
Update: After going back and forth. T-Mobile finally decided to give me a full refund of the charges. Thank you everyone for all the help. Things that helped with my case, in case someone else is in this situation.

Asking for executive customer service. Using chat instead of phone customer service. Asking for proof of me disabling international calling block.

Thank you once again for everyones help!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017