• filter:

Using Barclay Arrival +MC points

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I have about 37,000 Barclay Arrival miles to use up before 8/4.
My annual fee will be added tomorrow, and I'll have to cancel the card within 30 days in order to avoid paying that fee.

In order to best use the miles, I should spend them on travel.  I am wondering if anyone has successfully redeemed their miles for transactions in which they purchased a gift card, for example, a gift card from an airline or from Expedia or the like.  Just afraid that the transaction will come up as a gift card and not travel....

Here are the eligible categories:
Airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, campgrounds, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, trains, buses, taxis, limousines, and ferries.

Thank you so much, in advance.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Can you switch to the no fee version and retain your points?

rated:
PrincipalMember said:   Can you switch to the no fee version and retain your points?
  I tried - the agent said no, but I may try again tomorrow and see if I get another agent.  Thanks.

rated:
You can convert to a Barclay Rewards Card Mastercard, which is no annual fee, and you keep your points. You also get 1000 points after your first transaction. After you switch, you can redeem them for a statement credit for the same value (.01/point), and not even redeemed against travel credits. Can just be a regular statement credit.

rated:
vnuts21 said:   You can convert to a Barclay Rewards Card Mastercard, which is no annual fee, and you keep your points. You also get 1000 points after your first transaction. After you switch, you can redeem them for a statement credit for the same value (.01/point), and not even redeemed against travel credits. Can just be a regular statement credit.
  As I say, I tried that today.  The agent said that the points wouldn't transfer to the new card.  Maybe he was wrong...?

Also, with the Arrival +, you get twice the value out of the points if you redeem them for travel.

rated:
Book a fully refundable hotel reservation. Redeem the points then cancel the reservation.

rated:
Book a refundable flight, use your points, refund the flight.

I got fed up with Barclays when i couldn't redeem my points for a vacation condo rental. Redeemed my points against a refundable flight, refunded, and converted to their no fee card. Card is sockdrawered now.

rated:
daw4888 said:   Book a fully refundable hotel reservation. Redeem the points then cancel the reservation.

They don't usually charge the card until you stay.

rated:
doveroftke said:   
daw4888 said:   Book a fully refundable hotel reservation. Redeem the points then cancel the reservation.

They do if you book on Priceline, and other sites.  This is how I have liquidated my points on my last two arrival cards.  Just pay attention to the payment terms.  You can find tons of rooms that charge upfront, but are 100% refundable.

Also if you want to maximize the amount of $ you get for your points, plan a redemption that will leave you with almost exactly 10,000 points left after you get the 5% rebate for using your points. 

So in your case, if you can find a refundable room/rate near $284, after the 5% rebate, that will leave you with right over $100 in points.  Book another refundable room, and redeem those $100 in points towards it.  Then cancel both rooms, and end up with $384, instead of the $370 you get for 37,000 points typically.

rated:
daw4888 said:   
doveroftke said:   

They do if you book on Priceline, and other sites.  This is how I have liquidated my points on my last two arrival cards.  Just pay attention to the payment terms.  You can find tons of rooms that charge upfront, but are 100% refundable.

Also if you want to maximize the amount of $ you get for your points, plan a redemption that will leave you with almost exactly 10,000 points left after you get the 5% rebate for using your points. 

So in your case, if you can find a refundable room/rate near $284, after the 5% rebate, that will leave you with right over $100 in points.  Book another refundable room, and redeem those $100 in points towards it.  Then cancel both rooms, and end up with $384, instead of the $370 you get for 37,000 points typically.

So Barclay doesn't claw back the points after you cancel...?

rated:
jess888 said:   
daw4888 said:   
doveroftke said:   

Nope.

rated:
daw4888 said:   
jess888 said:   
daw4888 said:   
doveroftke said:   

Nope.

Well THANK YOU for that.  I'll give it a try....

rated:
daw4888 said:   
doveroftke said:   

Good to know, I've never booked that way.

I have previously liquidated my Barclaycard Arrival+ points by booking a plane ticket and then cancelling it a few minutes later (24-hour rule). The airline processed it as a charge and then refund, and I could still redeem against the charge.

rated:
It worked.  I did a Priceline rez, redeemed my miles to pay for it, then canceled the card.  Thanks again, very much.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017