• filter:

herniated disc pain 2 weeks after front end collision, advice?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Two weeks after a car accident, I started to get some shoulder pain that didn't get better, and then over the next 2 days radiated down to elbow. Long story short a week and 1/2 later finally was able to get MRI done (neck x-rays showed no issue, and pain has been consistent after it radiated), and got results today. MRI showed: "disc-osteophyte complex with a left parasagittal disc extrusion which results in severe left neural foraminal narrowing"

My own car insurance has $5k medical reimbursement. I have health insurance currently and have been using it so far for the co-pays I've had, maybe $200 not including whatever MRI 10% co-insurance is. I was not at fault in this accident. I assume that if I contact other person's insurance this will be covered under their bodily harm policy, but is there a way to know how much that is? I've read other threads in the past that suggest lawyers, etc. I guess I'm looking for suggestions as far as how to proceed from this point forward. I can only assume my heatlh insurance would cover most of the costs, but that still leaves deductibles and coinsurance for MRI, etc, which although I could file claim under my own insurance, I'm assuming that may not be the best route.

One particular point that I was made aware of to ask for advice was that the neurosurgeon appointment asked me how I would like to pay for the appointment/care, through auto insurance or through my medical insurance. I'm assuming at this point I should just do my own medical insurance?

Should I consult personal injury attorneys? Any other advice is very much appreciated. Sorry for alt-ID, but felt it's best to have some sort of anonymity for now. If you figure it out, that's fine, but don't give me away Open to PMs as well on this for more info.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
C6-7_injury said:   Two weeks after a car accident, I started to get some shoulder pain that didn't get better, and then over the next 2 days radiated down to elbow. Long story short a week and 1/2 later finally was able to get MRI done (neck x-rays showed no issue, and pain has been consistent after it radiated), and got results today. MRI showed: "disc-osteophyte complex with a left parasagittal disc extrusion which results in severe left neural foraminal narrowing"

My own car insurance has $5k medical reimbursement. I have health insurance currently and have been using it so far for the co-pays I've had, maybe $200 not including whatever MRI 10% co-insurance is. I was not at fault in this accident. I assume that if I contact other person's insurance this will be covered under their bodily harm policy, but is there a way to know how much that is? I've read other threads in the past that suggest lawyers, etc. I guess I'm looking for suggestions as far as how to proceed from this point forward. I can only assume my heatlh insurance would cover most of the costs, but that still leaves deductibles and coinsurance for MRI, etc, which although I could file claim under my own insurance, I'm assuming that may not be the best route.

One particular point that I was made aware of to ask for advice was that the neurosurgeon appointment asked me how I would like to pay for the appointment/care, through auto insurance or through my medical insurance. I'm assuming at this point I should just do my own medical insurance?

Should I consult personal injury attorneys? Any other advice is very much appreciated. Sorry for alt-ID, but felt it's best to have some sort of anonymity for now. If you figure it out, that's fine, but don't give me away Open to PMs as well on this for more info.

File through your medical insurance for your medical bills.

Claim your costs related to collision for your costs related to the accident, including medical costs (OOP). You can have your auto insurance company handle this part. If a significant claim for pain/suffering, lost wages etc. are anticipated, a lawyer would help.

ETA: Your medical insurance may decide to recoup its costs from the other auto insurance but that is not your concern.
Do not settle with insurance or sign anything unless you are absolutely certain about the long-term medical and pain/suffering aspects of your injury.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
C6-7_injury said:   Two weeks after a car accident, I started to get some shoulder pain that didn't get better, and then over the next 2 days radiated down to elbow. Long story short a week and 1/2 later finally was able to get MRI done (neck x-rays showed no issue, and pain has been consistent after it radiated), and got results today. MRI showed: "disc-osteophyte complex with a left parasagittal disc extrusion which results in severe left neural foraminal narrowing"

File through your medical insurance for your medical bills.

Claim your costs related to collision for your costs related to the accident, including medical costs (OOP). You can have your auto insurance company handle this part. If a significant claim for pain/suffering, lost wages etc. are anticipated, a lawyer would help.

ETA: Your medical insurance may decide to recoup its costs from the other auto insurance but that is not your concern.
Do not settle with insurance or sign anything unless you are absolutely certain about the long-term medical and pain/suffering aspects of your injury.

Thanks for advice. Anything collision related has already been settled previously. This didn't manifest itself until 2 weeks post accident, and given I wasn't sure if real damage (to myself) was done, wanted to have a sure diagnosis to be able to know and move on from that. So it seems that you would advocate to open up a claim with my auto insurance to cover OOP copays/co-insurance, as a first step, yes?

rated:
C6-7_injury said:     Thanks for advice. Anything collision related has already been settled previously. This didn't manifest itself until 2 weeks post accident, and given I wasn't sure if real damage (to myself) was done, wanted to have a sure diagnosis to be able to know and move on from that. So it seems that you would advocate to open up a claim with my auto insurance to cover OOP copays/co-insurance, as a first step, yes?
When you say settled previously, is it with the other party's auto insurance. Did you sign off releasing them of all further liability?

Do you have any idea of the long term prognosis of your medical condition?

If you are looking at a significant medical issue, pain and suffering, lost wages, etc., at least a consultation with a lawyer would help decide the best course of action.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
C6-7_injury said:     Thanks for advice. Anything collision related has already been settled previously. This didn't manifest itself until 2 weeks post accident, and given I wasn't sure if real damage (to myself) was done, wanted to have a sure diagnosis to be able to know and move on from that. So it seems that you would advocate to open up a claim with my auto insurance to cover OOP copays/co-insurance, as a first step, yes?
When you say settled previously, is it with the other party's auto insurance. Did you sign off releasing them of all further liability?

Do you have any idea of the long term prognosis of your medical condition?

If you are looking at a significant medical issue, pain and suffering, lost wages, etc., at least a consultation with a lawyer would help decide the best course of action.

While the other party is at fault, when I filed the claim I did it through my insurance and let my insurance subrogate the claim on my behalf from the other party. The insurance company for myself and other party is the same, in case that matters any. I have not signed anything other than the title of the car to my insurance in order to get the as agreed appraised value for it. I read what I signed and pretty sure 100% sure nothing on that indicated anything in re: medical or any other liability, it was just to transfer the title and so that they could get a replacemnt title through dmv in case it was title destroyed or etc.

No idea yet in re: prognisis, I will probably know more after the appointment in a few days w/ neurosurgeon.

Okay, I will look at a lawyer consult, thanks.

rated:
It's important to know the state where the accident occurred for most of your questions as there is a lot of variation on whose insurance covers medical expenses. Some states are no-fault while others are at-fault. Both types have variations. In my state, for example, you would use your own auto insurance for at least the first $2500 of medical expenses (depending on your coverage level) and then the other driver's bodily injury liability coverage would kick in.

rated:
Accident happened in MA, my legal residence is in NH. In the meantime did a consult with a personal injury lawyer via phone. Probably will go in person sometime later this week.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017