• filter:

Increasing tax rate to qualify for loan

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I'm currently drawing a small W2 salary from a company which I am part owner of. In two years time, however, I will need to qualify for a personal loan. Would it behoove me to draw a larger salary and thus increase my tax rate so that it looks like I am earning more? I hate the idea of giving money away to the government via tax but if that's what it takes to meet Debt-to-income ratio lending requirements so be it. 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
What happens to the rest of the profit? Isn't it distributed to you as a dividend or something? Wouldn't that count towards income just the same?

rated:
scripta said:   What happens to the rest of the profit? Isn't it distributed to you as a dividend or something? Wouldn't that count towards income just the same?
  It isn't distributed. It's retained by the company. 

rated:
Then distribute the money retained by the company. The tax treatment will be depend on if you are a C Corp or an S Corp (or an LLC w/ an S Corp election)... but either way, you won't pay payroll taxes on the distribution.

Now you've got the higher income as shown on your tax return (via your W-2 and K-1), but while saving some taxes, as compared to just taking a higher salary.

rated:
slappycakes said:   Then distribute the money retained by the company. The tax treatment will be depend on if you are a C Corp or an S Corp (or an LLC w/ an S Corp election)... but either way, you won't pay payroll taxes on the distribution.

Now you've got the higher income as shown on your tax return (via your W-2 and K-1), but while saving some taxes, as compared to just taking a higher salary.

If it's an S corp the earnings are distributed even if they aren't

rated:
Can you pay yourself more and then save more in a SEP-IRA to reduce your taxable income?  Wouldn't this also increase your SS earnings so you qualify for higher SS benefits down the road?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017