• filter:

Affect of Payment in full vs settlement on Credit Report

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Getting my free annual credit report, I found an old medical bill from January 2015 on there for non-payment. Its a long story why its there and I had impeccable credit up until then, which took a hit.

I do indeed owe it (emergency room physician was out of network and didn't affect insurance payment as payment in full), but I'm curious, is there a different credit wise between an account that is paid in full vs one that is settled?  They sent an offer for 70%, but if settlement will have a different effect than payment in full, its not that much money to make it worth it.

After payment, I get a letter from them showing the account is closed and mail it to the three bureaus?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Not sure if this situation is similar or even applies to your case. A year and a half ago Comcast said I owed them $200 after ending service. I disagreed and didn't pay. They sent it to a collection agency. Credit reports went from over 820 to about 750. Still good enough that I wasn't motivated to do anything about it. Last month I see my CRs back over 820 and soon after get a letter from a new collection agency. Will probably address it now. Takeaway is, maybe wait until they handoff to a new collector and your scores rebound, then pay the doc directly with assurance the collection action will be cancelled.

rated:
atikovi said:   Not sure if this situation is similar or even applies to your case. A year and a half ago Comcast said I owed them $200 after ending service. I disagreed and didn't pay. They sent it to a collection agency. Credit reports went from over 820 to about 750. Still good enough that I wasn't motivated to do anything about it. Last month I see my CRs back over 820 and soon after get a letter from a new collection agency. Will probably address it now. Takeaway is, maybe wait until they handoff to a new collector and your scores rebound, then pay the doc directly with assurance the collection action will be cancelled.
  Its already gone through a few collection agencies.  Its now on my credit report, which presumably means no more active effort to collect, so it probably won't be switching hands again.  As I said, they offered 70%.  I'm just trying to figure out if settlement vs payment in full affects my credit report and score differently.

rated:
Search on creditboards.com for "pay for delete".

rated:
No. Google "whychat hipaa", and follow the directions so it will be removed entirely from your report.

rated:
billybwilde said:   No. Google "whychat hipaa", and follow the directions so it will be removed entirely from your report.
  OP this is the only correct answer to medical collections questions.  it worked for me and many others.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017