• filter:

Cash Back Sign Up Bonus help

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Hey, I'm going to be purchasing Solar Panels using credit cards. I have a total of about 25k to spread out. I have already opened a few new cards and am looking for cards with 0% APR for a while (So I can invest the money and pay it in full before the 0% APR expires while making minimum payments to ensure I keep the 0% APR). I also would like to get a % cash back. I don't travel enough currently to consider airline miles cards. What I want is to distribute the cost over as many cards as possible to get as many cash bonuses as possible, but also consider that I won't be using these cards beyond this first year or so and would also like to get enough cash back rewards to redeem. I have personally opened up the following cards so far.

Barclay Cash Forward: Purchase $1000 = Bonus $200 1.5% CB
Wells Fargo Cash Wise: Purchase $1000 = Bonus $200 1.5% CB
Blue Cash Preferred Card American Express: Purchase $1000 = Bonus $150 1% CB (This one will probably be used for Groceries due to the 6% CB for those)
Capital One Quick Silver: Purchase $500 = Bonus $150 1.5% CB
Chase Freedom Unlimited: Purchase $500 = Bonus $150 (Plus $25 if a second user makes a purchase) 1.5% CB
Susan G Komen Visa: Purchase $500 = Bonus $150  1% CB

I can also open up two of each card one through myself and one through my wife. Some further tips and tricks would be very helpful. My current 30 year estimates seem to favor me pretty well, but the more I can get back immediately and invest will be more money in 30 years. 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
thedonz said:   Blue Cash Preferred Card American Express: Purchase $1000 = Bonus $150 1% CB (This one will probably be used for Groceries due to the 6% CB for those)
AMEX limits individuals to having 4 different CREDIT cards (not CHARGE cards), so depending on how many AMEX accounts you have open directly under your SSN, you may be able to stack this offer as well:
AMEX Blue Cash Everyday Signup bonus ($150 off $500 or $250 off $1000)

rated:
Looks like PenFed still has a $100 sign-up bonus on their PowerCash rewards card (after $1500 spend), which is at least a 1.5% CB card but can easily be a 2% CB card:
https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards/power-cash-rewards 

Here's the requirements for having the card earn 2% CB:
https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards/honors-advantage 

If going with an Access America Checking Account, you need to maintain a $500 balance to avoid monthly fees.

Also, if you're not currently a PenFed member, you'll need to join that CU first:
https://netmember.penfed.org/NetMember/Forms/OpenAccounts/Eligibility.aspx?MEMBERSHIP 

If you don't otherwise qualify, they have an "Other" option which lets you join an externally affiliated organization for $17/yr, but you only need to pay that $17 fee for the 1st yr (i.e. once you become a PenFed member, you don't have to renew membership w/ the externally affiliated organization).

*EDIT* If you need to join PenFed, and if you intend to have both you and your wife become members, once one of you is a member, the other one should be able qualify for membership as a family member of an existing member. In other words, you shouldn't have to pay the $17 twice, only once.

rated:
TheDiggler said:   AMEX limits individuals to having 4 different CREDIT cards (not CHARGE cards), so depending on how many AMEX accounts you have open directly under your SSN, you may be able to stack this offer as well:

I actually tried that one after signing up for the first AMEX. It said I couldn't be approved and they were sending me a letter. Once I get the letter I'll call them up and try again. Thanks for the tips!

rated:
TheDiggler said:   
thedonz said:   Blue Cash Preferred Card American Express: Purchase $1000 = Bonus $150 1% CB (This one will probably be used for Groceries due to the 6% CB for those)
AMEX limits individuals to having 4 different CREDIT cards (not CHARGE cards), so depending on how many AMEX accounts you have open directly under your SSN, you may be able to stack this offer as well:

That limit must include just the cards AmEX manages itself (e.g., Blue Cash), and not co-branded AmEx cards (e.g., PenFed).  Until recently I had 2 AmEx-managed, 3 co-branded, and 1 charge card.

rated:
TheDiggler said:   Looks like PenFed still has a $100 sign-up bonus on their PowerCash rewards card (after $1500 spend), which is at least a 1.5% CB card but can easily be a 2% CB card:

If going with an Access America Checking Account, you need to maintain a $500 balance to avoid monthly fees.

Also, if you're not currently a PenFed member, you'll need to join that CU first:
https://netmember.penfed.org/NetMember/Forms/OpenAccounts/Eligibility.aspx?MEMBERSHIP 

If you don't otherwise qualify, they have an "Other" option which lets you join an externally affiliated organization for $17/yr, but you only need to pay that $17 fee for the 1st yr (i.e. once you become a PenFed member, you don't have to renew membership w/ the externally affiliated organization).

*EDIT* If you need to join PenFed, and if you intend to have both you and your wife become members, once one of you is a member, the other one should be able qualify for membership as a family member of an existing member. In other words, you shouldn't have to pay the $17 twice, only once.

Also, with PenFed you can fund your account with a credit card. They don't accept Discover though. So you can place $600 into accounts total and get a little bit more cash back on your cards. 

rated:
Are you under 5/24 (fewer than 5 new cards in the last 24 months)? If so, Chase has some great Ultimate Rewards cards that are better used as travel redemptions but can also be redeemed as cashback or gift cards, upwards of $300 to $500 redemptions.

rated:
Corndogg said:   Are you under 5/24 (fewer than 5 new cards in the last 24 months)? If so, Chase has some great Ultimate Rewards cards that are better used as travel redemptions but can also be redeemed as cashback or gift cards, upwards of $300 to $500 redemptions.

No, I am well over that at this point. My plan is to give my credit score a big hit to get cash back, have 0% APR for about a year, and the high percent bonuses. Then I plan to invest it along with my rebates and incentives for buying solar panels hoping to gain close to the 7% rate you can expect for returns in the stock market (calculated over 30 years). I am looking at hiring an investment firm for that. 

What is the 5/24 for? My credit score is close to 800, I won't need any financing any time soon. If something crazy happens I am trying to avoid her opening any cards so she could apply for credit. 

rated:
What about this Chase card? https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/chase-slate
It will let me transfer balances for free and give me 0% APR on them for 15 months (Up to 15k). Meaning I could make min payments on intro APR Cash Rewards cards, then transfer the balances here for another 15 months instead of paying them off. Then I can keep that 15k invested and growing for 15 more months.

rated:
thedonz said:   
What is the 5/24 for?

Google "Chase 5/24 rule". Some Chase cards, and Chase branded cards such as Southwest and United and cards with Ultimate Rewards points will automatically decline your application if you have opened 5 credit cards within the last 24 months.

rated:
thedonz said:   What about this Chase card? https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/chase-slate
It will let me transfer balances for free and give me 0% APR on them for 15 months (Up to 15k). Meaning I could make min payments on intro APR Cash Rewards cards, then transfer the balances here for another 15 months instead of paying them off. Then I can keep that 15k invested and growing for 15 more months.
Chase Slate is one of the best balance transfer cards out there because there is no balance transfer fee and offers the extended 15 mo period. I believe it also offers 0% on purchases too. It's a good option to open before you start incurring large balances, since you will be less likely approved and have a lower limit if you are approved.

The AOR BT game was great back in the day when rewards checking accounts yielded 6% APR, but not as lucrative now. Make sure to keep your individual balance on each card below 80% utilization and under 50% total utilization across all of your total credit lines. Your score will take a huge dive when you carry large balances so be prepared for the possibility that issuers may cancel your other cards or reduce your credit lines, plus the risk of your insurance rates going up as reported in this thread: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1579612

rated:
TheDiggler said:   Looks like PenFed still has a $100 sign-up bonus on their PowerCash rewards card (after $1500 spend), which is at least a 1.5% CB card but can easily be a 2% CB card:

HP for the checking account.

rated:
TheDiggler said:   

Is the limit across business cards as well?

rated:
jamesfatwallet said:   Is the limit across business cards as well?
If the biz card(s) is/are opened up under your individual SSN, they've forced me to close one of my existing cards when I applied for a new card while having 3 Consumer cards and 1 Small Biz (Open) Card (otherwise they would have rejected me for the new card).

If your Biz card(s) is/are opened up under an EIN (but personally guaranteed under your SSN), then I don't know.  If your Biz Card(s) is/are strictly opened up under an EIN w/o any personal guarantee backing it up, then I suspect such Biz cards don't count toward the individual limit.

rated:
Well, I seem to have been cut off at 9 credit cards open. I think if I had planned it out better and come up with a list of like 15-20 cards first and then applied in the span of a few hours I might have been approved. I have a few pending further review too (probably will get rejected). One of the letters I got from the Discover IT NHL card said my credit score was down 12 points from where it was marked in July. It had also been dropping in my first attempt at taking advantage of cash back and 0% APR when I opened up a Discover CB math card and charged my kids day care on it to about the limit and let it sit for a year while I invested the money.

I'm not super concerned about my credit score anymore. I have bought a house and should have enough to buy a car for cash when I need to in the future. Don't really have any use for my score. So, I'm trading it to get further discounts on my Solar Panels. Right now I should be getting around 2 grand back and have negotiated the price from one company down to 20k. Which I estimate to generate a profit of around 80k over 30 years. The profit was determined by estimating what I might earn if I just invested 20k for 30 years and didn't buy solar panels. Once I finish my purchase and get things rolling I should probably write a lengthy post about what I did. As the Solar Panel industry might be about to face some major changes in the tax breaks, and the current tariff case that Trump will likely have full authority one.

Private message me if you want the messy version of what I've done, no promises it will work for all financial situations.

rated:
lol at a 30 year investment projection on solar panels

rated:
Go through bluepacificsolar . com and you won't have to shell out 25k.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017