• filter:

Bought gift cards from card cash for $1,700 and they are all used by someone else

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I bought these Safeway gift cards because I always shop there

I bought them like January of this year and I was using them one by one. Yesterday one of them did not work so when I get back home, I called Safeway CSR and it seems like someone used my card in a state i have never been

Then I told csr to check other cards. In total $1,700 worth of my gift cards are now worth zero.

Immediately I emailed Card Cash support and they said the guaranty is only for 45 days. Safeway says they will investigate

I can not believe this is happening. So what else can I do now?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Wow. My Tinder dates are usually fascinated by my metal AMEX platinum card. BUYING a fake metal card seems like a f'ing ... (more)

CashMeeOusside (Sep. 17, 2017 @ 5:24p) |

This would have surprised me 10 years ago, before all the ridiculously overpriced iCrap came out. Apple wouldn't be what... (more)

scripta (Sep. 17, 2017 @ 7:59p) |

I use CITI Cash Back Credit Card with 500 Rs annual fee and 2.5% Cash Withdrawal limit.

ankitadixit (Sep. 18, 2017 @ 5:23a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
This is happening all over. Especially for Gift Cards sold near Xmas.

Hope they can help you, CardCash has the shortest warranty time.

rated:
now that I am thinking

When I received the cards back in January, the code was already scratched. You know where the PIN# is

I should have known

What I dont understand is how do they use a card without having it physically? There is no online shopping for Safeway. Maybe the balance was zero when I received it? I should have checked

What should I do? Go to BBB or FBI or give me some advice. This is lots of money

rated:
Was there any advantage to buying $1,700 in one shot in January vs buying what you need every 45 days so you're always covered by their warranty??

rated:
Ouch! Were these e-gift cards? I've had bad luck lately with gift cards ordered from resale discount gift card vendors such as Card Cash. Phsyical gift cards, but especially e-gift cards. I've been fortunate enough to have been refunded on all accounts because they were within the warranty period but it's happened often enough that I will no longer buy gift cards unless I plan to use the balance within a couple weeks, and even then not unless I make enough savings to risk the hassle of requesting a refund if they are ripped off (and never buy them from E-bay).

Card Cash clearly states their refund period and this is now well beyond that deadline. Sorry to say but you may be SOL unless Safeway is generous enough to cover the balance. Safeway has pretty good customer service but don't expect them to cover your loss as they're not obligated to.

rated:
icecube said:   Was there any advantage to buying $1,700 in one shot in January vs buying what you need every 45 days so you're always covered by their warranty??

they were selling at a discount and I was trying to cover my credit card mandatory spending for bonus

rated:
been living under a rock?

Card Cash is a NOTORIOUS conduit for scammers.

Something similar happened to me TWICE with Card Cash, within its guarantee period (although with MUCH lower $$ at stake). Nevertheless, Card Cash IGNORED me. To get my $$ back, I filed BBB complaints. I got refunds. But then Card Cash permanently banned me, strongly suggesting that I was the scammers.

Since you're outside the guarantee period, consider filing a small-claims lawsuit. If Card Cash didn't show up, you'd get a default judgement (without needing to discuss that "45-day" thing).

PROTIP: Always use GC's within their guarantee period.  That way, you'll win a chargeback.

EDIT:  Don't expect Card Cash to "no show."  I heard that companies can get a local, sleazebag lawyer/paralegal to take on this type of case for $30/hr (or less). But it's worth a shot for $1.7k. IMHO.

rated:
Their guarantee is only for a short period. You're out of luck after that, at least according to them. You can try a chargeback or perhaps the courts.

Agree about litigation as a bluff, with the current oversupply of lawyers. They're not going to just cave. The hard part will be proving the funds were stolen during CardCashs warranty period. They don't have to guarantee them forever.

rated:
fleetwoodmac said:   
they were selling at a discount and I was trying to cover my credit card mandatory spending for bonus

OMG. There are much easier and safer ways to MS. What on earth were you thinking?

rated:
fleetwoodmac said:   now that I am thinking

When I received the cards back in January, the code was already scratched. You know where the PIN# is

I should have known

What I dont understand is how do they use a card without having it physically? There is no online shopping for Safeway. Maybe the balance was zero when I received it? I should have checked

What should I do? Go to BBB or FBI or give me some advice. This is lots of money

there's "card cloning" equipment for sale. 

buy GC's with stolen DC's/CC's. 

"clone" the GC's.

sell the original GC's to Card Cash (by either using stolen identities or "processing agents").

use (or sell) the cloned GC's (I've NEVER had a cashier ask to see my GC's.  So I could be using "blank" cards, programmed with stolen/duplicate info.)

EDIT: You'll experience a hard enough time getting your local doughnut eaters to take a report.  Forget about FBI.

rated:
I just lost $35 to CashCard on a $50 CrackerBarrel e-gift card.  Called CrackerBarrel gift card site and they said the funds were 'removed" a mere 7 days after I purchased the card.  Not "used" but "removed". Cashcard was NO help - since I contacted them 50 days after purchase.  My guess is they were purchased with a stolen credit card and the credit card company pulled the $ back?  I've had 3 or 4 others purchased from CashCard in past with zero funds on them when I went to use them - fortunately all were fortunately within their short 45 day guarantee.  I purchased with PayPal and PayPal said it was not covered - boo! I will NEVER buy again from CashCard!  RAISE.COM has a more realistic 1 year guarantee! I've posted my issue with CashCard on other site - hoping to warn others away from CashCard.

rated:
What kind of gift cards were these? If the code was stolen due to scratch off it probably wasn't too hard to take a photo of the card with the scratched off PIN and use these online after activation. Buyer beware if the card or package has been tampered with. I have had MasterCard gift cards spent apparently without the package tampered with. Fortunately I had kept the receipts and I caught the fraudulent charges fairly quickly. I think they guessed the card number since these were manufactured with sequential numbers (they apparently don't do this anymore). The cards were probably cloned and used for large purchases at Walmart and Lowes since the CVV number isn't required.

rated:
I had the same thing happen with Citibank with a $50 rewards giftcard. Citi!

rated:
I have a similar experience. I got a $25 Randalls GC (also a Safeway company) from my Randalls pharmacy in Texas. I got the physical gift card this February, and the entire amount ($25) was used by someone else at a Vons (Safeway 's grocery store chain in Cali) this May. I contacted them in June. According to their customer service, my case is still being investigated... They said there was no time frame to resolve such issues.................... All I can do is to keep fingers crossed.

rated:
Maybe look at homeowners/renters insurance? If you're doing significant MS you should probably get a rider on your policy - it's not that expensive. But even without a rider you may have some benefit. Before I purchased additional insurance I think there was like 500-1000 of coverage. But not sure whether they would cover this scenario - I would never buy that much in store gift cards and wait so long to use them.

rated:
fleetwoodmac said:   now that I am thinking

I should have known

What I dont understand is how do they use a card without having it physically? There is no online shopping for Safeway. Maybe the balance was zero when I received it? I should have checked

Really? You never checked the balance? That was pretty stupid.

rated:
it happened to me with 100$ pf changs gift card... No use

rated:
Pretty surprised Safeway is even wiling to help.

rated:
jw530 said:   What kind of gift cards were these? If the code was stolen due to scratch off it probably wasn't too hard to take a photo of the card with the scratched off PIN and use these online after activation. Buyer beware if the card or package has been tampered with. I have had MasterCard gift cards spent apparently without the package tampered with. Fortunately I had kept the receipts and I caught the fraudulent charges fairly quickly. I think they guessed the card number since these were manufactured with sequential numbers (they apparently don't do this anymore). The cards were probably cloned and used for large purchases at Walmart and Lowes since the CVV number isn't required.
nobody is stupid to use these cards online. They will track the spender easily

Safeway csr told me that the numbers are copied to a new card. I am really curious how they do that  

rated:
fleetwoodmac said:   
Safeway csr told me that the numbers are copied to a new card. I am really curious how they do that  

One way:

Get 2 Safeway physical GC's.

Get a new Safeway GC #

Get a card reader/writer

Swipe each physical GC  (info. comes up on computer screen via card reader/writer software)

Erase existing GC #'s on each physical card.

Program each physical card with the new Safeway GC #

Sell one physical GC to Card Cash

Receive payment for the sale

Use/sell the second physical GC.

rated:
nifuja said:   
fleetwoodmac said:   
Safeway csr told me that the numbers are copied to a new card. I am really curious how they do that  

One way:

Get 2 Safeway physical GC's.

Get a new Safeway GC #

Get a card reader/writer

Swipe each physical GC  (info. comes up on computer screen via card reader/writer software)

Erase existing GC #'s on each physical card.

Program each physical card with the new Safeway GC #

Sell one physical GC to Card Cash

Receive payment for the sale

Use/sell the second physical GC.

It can not be this easy

Then anybody can do it

First the machine that you described is probably illegal anyway

rated:
fleetwoodmac said:   
  It can not be this easy

Then anybody can do it

It's exactly that easy. That's why the move to chip credit cards..... You have been living under a rock?

rated:
You either don't buy "used" GCs ever, or you cross your fingers and drain them lightning fast. Nothing else to it. Considering how easy it is to defraud people, I'm surprised these sites still exist.

rated:
Bend3r said:   
fleetwoodmac said:   
  It can not be this easy

Then anybody can do it

It's exactly that easy. That's why the move to chip credit cards..... You have been living under a rock?

I do not see why it would be illegal to own a device that can write to a magnetic strip, devices that can do this were invented in 1928.
Magnetic strip encoders are available from Amazon for under $100

rated:
marginoferror said:   Maybe look at homeowners/renters insurance? If you're doing significant MS you should probably get a rider on your policy - it's not that expensive. But even without a rider you may have some benefit. Before I purchased additional insurance I think there was like 500-1000 of coverage. But not sure whether they would cover this scenario - I would never buy that much in store gift cards and wait so long to use them.
  A rider for gift card theft? That would be pretty awesome.

rated:
CountingTheDays said:   Bend3r said:   fleetwoodmac said:   It can not be this easy

Then anybody can do it

I do not see why it would be illegal to own a device that can write to a magnetic strip, devices that can do this were invented in 1928.
Magnetic strip encoders are available from Amazon for under $100
I don't think it's illegal to own one, it's only illegal to use it for illegal things. Same applies to weapons, computers, insider information, etc.

rated:
Any recourse with the CC company you bought them with?

rated:
What credit card did you use? It's an old transaction, but they may help.

rated:
bobley said:   What credit card did you use? It's an old transaction, but they may help.
  I emailed Card Cash and asked the same question

rated:
fleetwoodmac said:   
bobley said:   What credit card did you use? It's an old transaction, but they may help.
  I emailed Card Cash and asked the same question

Instead of emailing Card Cash, call your credit card company.  I'm surprised you haven't done that yet.

rated:
Gift cards are a not safe.

rated:
has happened to me several times this year. won't be using them anymore. not worth the few bucks i saved to have lost all the money i have with empty cards since.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   
marginoferror said:   Maybe look at homeowners/renters insurance? If you're doing significant MS you should probably get a rider on your policy - it's not that expensive. But even without a rider you may have some benefit. Before I purchased additional insurance I think there was like 500-1000 of coverage. But not sure whether they would cover this scenario - I would never buy that much in store gift cards and wait so long to use them.
  A rider for gift card theft? That would be pretty awesome.

It wasn't that difficult. I got it at a time I was setting up a lot of other insurance so that may have been the reason they were willing to do it, but it was mostly just expanding the coverage amount for this particular property category. They also clarified specific items that I wanted covered, but they insisted that would be part of the coverage anyway.

rated:
i have one from capital grille that was an e-card and seemed to be issued directly from cardcash even, gave to dad for christmas, tried to use and it was empty.

rated:
RAISE guarantees their cards for 1 year. Only 45 days is a big SCAM.

rated:
wolfgangdieter said:   RAISE guarantees their cards for 1 year. Only 45 days is a big SCAM.
  It's not a scam. You're getting a discount in exchange for (1) the limitation you have to use it at a particular merchant or group of merchants and (2) the risk that you won't be able to use it within 45 days and it's drained.

If you're not willing to accept that risk, which is priced into the discount, don't purchase it. I'm a consumer protection advocate and spend a lot of my free time doing consumer protection work. Cardcash makes it clear that the guarantee is only good for 45 days. I don't see what the problem is. This is two parties entering into a transaction based on upfront and clear and conspicuous terms (at least the particular terms being complained about). If you need a longer period, buy from a place that offers a longer guarantee. I'd imagine the decreased risk is priced into the discount.

Surely you're not arguing that all companies in a particular industry should be required to have the same policies...

rated:
kingdoodler said:   Gift cards are a not safe.
  Ding ding ding!

Think about it, it's like cash, you can lose it in theft, fire, etc.. it also got the added risk of fraud.  

rated:
marginoferror said:   
wolfgangdieter said:   RAISE guarantees their cards for 1 year. Only 45 days is a big SCAM.
  It's not a scam. You're getting a discount in exchange for (1) the limitation you have to use it at a particular merchant or group of merchants and (2) the risk that you won't be able to use it within 45 days and it's drained.

If you're not willing to accept that risk, which is priced into the discount, don't purchase it. I'm a consumer protection advocate and spend a lot of my free time doing consumer protection work. Cardcash makes it clear that the guarantee is only good for 45 days. I don't see what the problem is. This is two parties entering into a transaction based on upfront and clear and conspicuous terms (at least the particular terms being complained about). If you need a longer period, buy from a place that offers a longer guarantee. I'd imagine the decreased risk is priced into the discount.

Surely you're not arguing that all companies in a particular industry should be required to have the same policies...

Ohh Hogwqash! I have never heard such bull. 
You have a right and should be able to expect to keep what you paid for.

Please...

rated:
Use the quote
Ohh Hogwqash! I have never heard such bull.
You have a right and should be able to expect to keep what you paid for.

Please..

It was stolen from OP. While the seller have the obligation to deliver the product, they aren't on the hook forever. As pointed out, there's a price for that. So, what price are you willing to pay for a 2 year, 3 year, or 5 year guarantee?

Skipping 97 Messages...
rated:
 I use CITI Cash Back Credit Card with 500 Rs annual fee and 2.5% Cash Withdrawal limit.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017