• filter:

Best way to end a time share presentation

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
We'll be getting a free breakfast and significant discount for a few activities we are doing. We need to attend a time share presentation, what is the best way of getting off the hook at end of their presentation? I know there are a few "experts" here...

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I work in IT for a Hotel/Resort company and get employee rates at over 3,500 hotels and resorts world wide, including ti... (more)

jeff1b (Aug. 16, 2017 @ 2:06p) |

You know that one of the rules they ask is ,do you work for a timeshare company, don't they?

forbin4040 (Aug. 16, 2017 @ 10:18p) |

That was not the case for any presentations I went to. The info they collected up front was very minimal. Name, address,... (more)

jeff1b (Aug. 17, 2017 @ 9:51a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
tell them from the outset you have no interest in buying and let them see you set the timer on your phone for whatever the required interval is.  Then when the alarm goes off be polite but let them know time is up and you have to get to an appointment.

rated:
Go alone.
Never say you are married, or seeing anyone.
Act disinterested. Look elsewhere when the salesman try to engage you.

Don't respond in kind when the sales guy try to guilt-trip you.

Only thing you should show interest is the promised payoff after you have been let go!

Even if I can shave an hour off a 90 minute timeshare presentation - I personally don't find them worth it. The back and forth trip etc usually means half a day of precious vacation time is wasted! The payoff (~$300-ish last time I did it) is not enough to make up for it.

Disclaimer - I stopped doing timeshare presentations a decade ago. Not sure if things have changed since then.

rated:
crap your pants

rated:
Not speaking from experience, but I'd definitely go alone. Gives you an easy "need to talk it over at home" out.

rated:
Dont think you can go alone since timeshare goes after couples and if one is missing, you will get charged full rate instead the discounted rate

check the contract first.

Tell them at the meeting, you have no interest buying and just here to get free stuff or reduced rate. They will come back saying you wasted my time and taking food from my family or child's Mouth.

Rem the presentation time dont start until after breakfast or lunch or when everybody done eating. be prepare to stay longer than 90 mins. Start clock when the speaker starts talking.

or better way is to go in acting deaf and mute. write NO on paper all the time.

rated:
explosive diarrhea 

rated:
Even if you go with your wife; tell them she is a beard and you are finally happy you have a timeshare that will accept your gay Coke-fueled sex parties. Then keep all your questions to what kind of action you can get away with in public areas like the pool and hot tub or why they also sell to families with kids when they are always problems.  If you don't want to play gay; tell them you are swingers and ask similarly inappropriate questions that show you will likely keep them from selling another unit if they happen to sell you one.

rated:
Bring up eBay listings for the same "property" that have sold for <$100?

rated:
VicVinegar said:   Not speaking from experience, but I'd definitely go alone. Gives you an easy "need to talk it over at home" out.
  That just tells them you are interested.  Then, after the rep is done crapping himself out of excitement, you get the extra special one day discount offer you need to accept right then "but still have 3 days to rescind after talking to your wife".

rated:
The key is acting disengaged.

Use language like "I don't know - just don't feel like buying anything now!!". "I know all about sales pitches. Go on, finish yours, I'm right here!!". etc. etc.

Then when the salesman gets all "guild-trippy" and tells you "you are taking food from my children etc." - keep checking your new text messages and then ask him "sorry - missed your question. What was it?". Bonus points if you can act super disinterested after the sale guy's specially reserved "now and here" offers.

Don't engage! Like ever! They are trained to handle any sort of engagement - positive or negative. Disinterest tends to get them frustrated and you off the hook quicker!

rated:
The last one of these I attended (having since decided they're not worth the value/frustration), I let the sales guy run through his whole routine - he got to a point where he asked "So, what do you and your wife think?"  I put my best shocked look on my face and responded "Wife?  This isn't my wife!  This is my girlfriend, my wife is at home!"

Girlfriend got pissed, smacked me in the arm and stormed out.  I grabbed the incentives from the guy and explained that I needed to go smooth things over...

Girlfriend didn't find it nearly as amusing as I did.

rated:
Tell them you're convinced and will buy a used timeshare off eBay for $1 as soon as you have good Internet connection.

rated:
Been on many timeshare pitches. Have the official time limit sheet in your hands. Tell the salesperson the start time & mark the endtime. Talk loud & have creepy staring eye contact when discussing this & your other No's. The endtime acknowledgement at the beginning is CRITICAL. Remember to tell them you have a appointment in Weston at the Cleveland Clinic (or somewhere else) that you had to setup up months ago that you can't miss.

Tell the guide you hope he needs the practice pitching because you ain't going to buy. You might have to make a scene at the end to get signed off & or get your gifts. I stopped going to these even though I get out of them quickly because it's a hassle.

rated:
puddonhead said:   

Then when the salesman gets all "guild-trippy" and tells you "you are taking food from my children etc." 

Isn't the correct response to this "Hey, you guys set the terms for this presentation/exercise/charade, don't blame me."?

rated:
Glitch99 said:   
puddonhead said:   

Then when the salesman gets all "guild-trippy" and tells you "you are taking food from my children etc." 

Isn't the correct response to this "Hey, you guys set the terms for this presentation/exercise/charade, don't blame me."?

I'm sure there are many different ways to handle this. I'm just reporting my own, decade old, n=1 experience ...

I'd be slightly apprehensive though of offering even that level of engagement. By saying "you guys set the terms ..." you are offering up that there is at least some blame to go around and a clever sales-person would take that, re-direct/deflect that towards his management ("hey I just get paid $50 per sale...") and try to get you engaged!

rated:
puddonhead said:   
Glitch99 said:   
puddonhead said:   

I'm sure there are many different ways to handle this. I'm just reporting my own, decade old, n=1 experience ...

I'd be slightly apprehensive though of offering even that level of engagement. By saying "you guys set the terms ..." you are offering up that there is at least some blame to go around and a clever sales-person would take that, re-direct/deflect that towards his management ("hey I just get paid $50 per sale...") and try to get you engaged!

Hah. More like $2,000 per sale. My friend used to get $200-$400 for people who attended & finished a tour. Not buy just attend & finish.

rated:
Bend3r said:   Bring up eBay listings for the same "property" that have sold for <$100?
This. There are a few secondary market websites so visit them beforehand and then ask them why the same package sells for much lower in those websites.  

rated:
It was easy to get out of mine. They quoted me some price and I said I don't even spend that much now on a vacation per year so how is this supposed to save me money? He had no answer and just gave me the voucher.

rated:
henry33 said:   It was easy to get out of mine. They quoted me some price and I said I don't even spend that much now on a vacation per year so how is this supposed to save me money? He had no answer and just gave me the voucher.
The price of vacations are only going up, you can lock this price in now and it won't go up like hotel room costs.

You had a terrible salesperson.

rated:
skh12 said:   crap your pants

Once had somebody bring a little dog with diarrhea in an airline carrier to her tax appointment. 
Stunk up the whole building. We set records getting her out of there.

rated:
scrouds said:   
henry33 said:   It was easy to get out of mine. They quoted me some price and I said I don't even spend that much now on a vacation per year so how is this supposed to save me money? He had no answer and just gave me the voucher.
The price of vacations are only going up, you can lock this price in now and it won't go up like hotel room costs.

I went to a HGVC one last year in Vegas.  You're right that's the standard schpeal.  "You pay $XX000 now + $Y000/yr = $ZZ000 total, or... look if you pay $X000/yr those prices will increase <some unreasonable amount - Say, 10%> every year.  Add up all those charges for 20 years and you're at 2x$ZZ000.  You can save half of that by buying in and you can stay at nicer places!"

Prices still go up.  They charge a booking fee when you reserve using the purchased "points" and that fee can go up.  They also charge maintenance fees which also go up every year.  And of course there might be "special assessments" if needed by the property.  Their computer UI of course didn't have a place to enter opportunity cost or inflation on funds spent on the program, only on inflation of "hotel" charges.

It almost wasn't a completely "horrible" deal - The maintenance fees were slightly less than someone might pay for a hotel room for that many days, for a slightly nicer room (maybe).  But, you'll never recoup the $10ks (I forget.. I think it was it $50k they wanted? ahahahaha) in up-front "investment" to purchase the "Deed".  And resale value is ~$0 for a reason -- There were completed listings on eBay for ~$1000 for about 1/3 of that package, of course with ~$2500 transfer fees or something, so really ~$3500.  Basically the initial investment is worth ~$0, but once you were in at least it seemed like someone wouldn't continue to be fleeced every year, so they probably have a handful of "happy" customers.

rated:
I tell them that my family already owns a Beach/lake house where we spend a lot of time.

No other available vacation time to use their timeshare, so I don't really need. They have no comeback for this.

Grab voucher and hit the road.

rated:
scrouds said:   

They can only do so much. I think they quoted me a price that was double what I spent on vacations in the previous year. I guess I don't take enough vacations. Plus this was before AirBnB. 

rated:
Last time my wife convinced me to go with her into DC for one and it was some awful reward for a cruise, and she kept getting the run around, and had to pay a booking fee, and eventually got her money back (that was the prize). However, we lucked out with a new salesperson who couldn't work her computer. We also brought our 1 year old and 3 year old with no toys. They had a small play area, but it didn't contain them and they quickly began walking around. So one of us constantly had to get up to mind the children. We got out pretty quick with no hassle.

Tip: Bring small children and just let them run loose.

rated:
pjws3 said:   tell them from the outset you have no interest in buying and let them see you set the timer on your phone for whatever the required interval is.  Then when the alarm goes off be polite but let them know time is up and you have to get to an appointment.

I think this is key.  They know most people aren't interested, however they know the suckers are the people who are "Worried about what the salesman thinks, etc."   Once they separate the "Pushovers" from the "Stubborn Jerks"  You can guess which the sales people focus most of their time and energy on.  (Yes they give 1 tour at a time, but how long that sales person spends can vary greatly.)

rated:
Update: The process went quite smoothly. They were actually quite nice not to pushy but when they were asking me at the start about possible areas were they could get a hold of me and entice me I gave them not a single yard I stopped them at the line of scrimmage by telling them that I don't use money to book most of my vacations that I have all these credit cards (thanks Fatwallet ) that gives me all kinds of points from Hyatt to Hilton to AA and everything in between. The sales lady was actually quite interested how I did that and wanted to know the "secret", I guess I end up being the sales man and she end up being the buyer. At the end when the main guy came and ask the question, "why would you not sign up?", my answer was "I get flights, hotels and all kinds of benefits for pennies with all my points" that finished them. Presentation over I got my reward...Thanks all for the ideas...

rated:
eddierd said:   Update: The process went quite smoothly. They were actually quite nice not to pushy but when they were asking me at the start about possible areas were they could get a hold of me and entice me I gave them not a single yard I stopped them at the line of scrimmage by telling them that I don't use money to book most of my vacations that I have all these credit cards (thanks Fatwallet ) that give me all kinds of points from Hyatt to Hilton to AA and everything in between. The sales lady was actually quite interested how I did that and wanted to know the "secret", I guess I end up being the sales man she end up being the buyer. At the end when the main guy came and ask the question, "why would you not sign up", my answer was I get flights, hotels and all kinds of benefits for pennies with all my points that finish them. Presentation over I got my reward...Thanks all for the ideas...

You leaker !!

rated:
timeshares are worthless now

rated:
Thanks for the update. Sometimes I do think people need to learn how to say No effectively. If you can't say No, come up with a nice lie (OMG I just lost my job yesterday/got cancer, do you want to buy my house?).

rated:
Showing up with a copy of this to read while bored is usually pretty good "pushy salesman repellent".  Heard it works well for used cars, those cheap oil change vouchers, and similar high pressure up-sale situations.  Let them know you know and you may get treated as a peer or with some respect instead of just another mark to be hustled.

https://www.amazon.com/Influence-Psychology-Persuasion-Robert-Ci...

rated:
No need to be rude with the salesperson. They are trying to make a living too. We are always attentive, but honest that we did not want to buy a timeshare.
We have always been treated nicely, no guilt-trip pressure. We say thank you for the presentation and promised gift.

rated:
Rare disease, only six months to live.

rated:
Don't go at all.

rated:
dhilpert said:   Rare disease, only six months to live.
  "we've got a heavily discounted trial package that gives you X,XXX points to use that expire in six months, for only $4XXX.  Don't you want to take all your family on some very nice vacations while you still can?"

rated:
Get a t-shirt printed with "I'm just here for the free stuff-srsly"

rated:
"I'm in grad school and don't have any money."

rated:
`
johnm4 said:   "I'm in grad school and don't have any money."

Then you didn't meet the screening requirements and they'll make you pay full price for your stay.

rated:
johnm4 said:   "I'm in grad school and don't have any money."
  So you will be having more income later. I can set you up with an easy payment plan, so you can start living the good life now!

Skipping 41 Messages...
rated:
That was not the case for any presentations I went to. The info they collected up front was very minimal. Name, address, phone, marital status and income range was about it. I have booked at kiosks in tourist areas and a mall rather than through direct marketing where detailed requirements might be found in the small print.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017