• filter:

Cancelled cable internet provider

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I need advice.  I had an issue with my cable internet provider who never honored service credits due to extended outages.  I filed one credit card chargeback and got my funds refunded but the cable company billed me again for it.  They then agree to put on a month credit which was shown on my bill and removed and I wound up prepaying in advance for a few extra days over my bill period.  So I file a second chargeback with my credit card and have written documentation from a BBB complaint where service credit was not applied along with statements to prove it.  I cancelled service as soon as I got my bill wihout the service credit applied.  Filed complaints with BBB, AG office, and city franchise authority for breaking franchise requirements which include prompt crediting for extended service outages.

Will a small claims court judgement prevent a collections judgement against me as I do not want to pay them for the removed monthly service credit of which the second chargeback partially takes care of.  I overpaid when I cancelled service but will be underpaid assuming my chargeback is successful which I will submit documentation if requested,  A small claims court filing fee will eat up a large chunk and I am presuming for such a small claim no attorney will be sent out by the firm so I will win in default even though I have documented proof and if they brought out an attorney I would still win.  But will the judgement be meaningful to make a statement as monetary gain would be minimal.  

I cancelled on 8/14/2017.  Was prepaid up till before 8/18/2017.  Chargeback will mean a month from 7/17/2017 to 8/17/2017 will be taken away.  I told them I would agree with them zeroing out the balance or would sue in small court after chargebacks.  

I would have kept service had they credited back the funds which they did and then removed and lied to me about.  Only exception being if extended service outages continued,  So now they got billed two chargeback fees and I cancelled service for hundreds of dollars of lost revenue per year which was a very poor business decision on their part as well as multiple complaints filed.  Usually they want to prevent cancellation.  This firm did everything to make a cancellation happen.  

Documented evidence includes City franchise agreement, BBB correspondance, billing statements and news articles on extended outages where claim was sabotage.  

I switched to unlimited wireless data for a cheaper price from another provider.  

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
deeder said:   I need advice.  I had an issue with my cable internet provider who never honored service credits due to extended outages.  I filed one credit card chargeback and got my funds refunded but the cable company billed me again for it.  They then agree to put on a month credit which was shown on my bill and removed and I wound up prepaying in advance for a few extra days over my bill period.  So I file a second chargeback with my credit card and have written documentation from a BBB complaint where service credit was not applied along with statements to prove it.  I cancelled service as soon as I got my bill wihout the service credit applied.  Filed complaints with BBB, AG office, and city franchise authority for breaking franchise requirements which include prompt crediting for extended service outages.

Will a small claims court judgement prevent a collections judgement against me as I do not want to pay them for the removed monthly service credit of which the second chargeback partially takes care of.  I overpaid when I cancelled service but will be underpaid assuming my chargeback is successful which I will submit documentation if requested,  A small claims court filing fee will eat up a large chunk and I am presuming for such a small claim no attorney will be sent out by the firm so I will win in default even though I have documented proof and if they brought out an attorney I would still win.  But will the judgement be meaningful to make a statement as monetary gain would be minimal.  

I cancelled on 8/14/2017.  Was prepaid up till before 8/18/2017.  Chargeback will mean a month from 7/17/2017 to 8/17/2017 will be taken away.  I told them I would agree with them zeroing out the balance or would sue in small court after chargebacks.  

I would have kept service had they credited back the funds which they did and then removed and lied to me about.  Only exception being if extended service outages continued,  So now they got billed two chargeback fees and I cancelled service for hundreds of dollars of lost revenue per year which was a very poor business decision on their part as well as multiple complaints filed.  Usually they want to prevent cancellation.  This firm did everything to make a cancellation happen.  

Documented evidence includes City franchise agreement, BBB correspondance, billing statements and news articles on extended outages where claim was sabotage.  

I switched to unlimited wireless data for a cheaper price from another provider.  

Why did you overpay when you are A) cancelling the service and B) trying to get them to credit you??

rated:
Dare I ask what dollar amount prompted you to go all nuclear over?

If you were expecting a credit, and especially after it was credited then reversed, why would you pay the full bill then do a chargeback, instead of just paying the correct amount?  And why the obsession with the BBB, when the FCC actually has regulatory authority over cable companies?  I'm just tossing out random questions, since your rambling failed to ask anything, or even really get around to having much of a point.

rated:
How much internet do you use in a month and how is the wireless internet service provider working out?

rated:
The removal of service credit happened after I paid for the month, The cable firm requires you to be billed in advance and issues late fees if you do niot pay by a certain date and I was assured the service credit would be applied and it was but then it was removed thereafter.

BBB forces a Representative from cable company to respond. Franchise authority and AG office regulate the franchise which were also comtacted.

FCC has no authority over local franchise agreements which requires prompt service credits for outages. I will however also file an FCC complaint to put additional pressure on them but in reality it is likely meaningless as FCC is federal and pro business.  

rated:
Just an FYI , BBB doesn't force anyone to respond...period. They are just an older version of Yelp.

rated:
Honestly, from the description in the original post, I have no idea what happened here. Laying out the timeline with exactly what you were billed, when, what credits you were owed, when, and what chargebacks you did and when would go a long way to making this complaint comprehensible.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Just an FYI , BBB doesn't force anyone to respond...period. They are just an older version of Yelp.

Accredited businesses have to. Yes, it is totally optional, but many businesses promote their BBB accreditation to help build trust with consumers.

And even non-accredited businesses will respond because many consumers use the BBB to research businesses and they see the value in maintaining a decent record.

Even though the BBB can't force a business to do anything, they're not as worthless as some people think.

rated:
doveroftke said:   Even though the BBB can't force a business to do anything, they're not as worthless as some people think.
  I agree.  With some business such as authorized car dealer, they are forced to respond because it's one of the criteria measured by the HQ.

You also have to learn to read between the line with BBB.  That this business for example, it's a infamous spammer outfit with an A+ rating on BBB

https://www.bbb.org/western-michigan/business-reviews/t-shirts/s...

About 37% of the reviews are bad, terrible, Yet they got an A+ rating because they paid off BBB.  My review was rejected for unknown reason so the 37% are way understated.

rated:
deeder said:   
BBB forces a Representative from cable company to respond. 

BBB is about as relevant to commerce these days as cassette tapes are to music. Not totally obsolete as 8-tracks, but nearly. 

rated:
I had a dispute with Comcast a couple of years ago when they charged me for a service call for, what turned out to be, a problem on their end.  After a long, fruitless discussion with customer service, I filed an FCC complaint on a Friday.  By Tuesday, I received a call from a Comcast customer service rep who obviously only responded to FCC complaints.  After her call, I was able to get the charge removed within minutes.

I don't understand exactly why, but, at least Comcast, seems to take consumer FCC complaints seriously.  My guess is that they will probably waive any charges under a certain ($100?) dollar amount.

rated:
deeder said:    I will however also file an FCC complaint to put additional pressure on them but in reality it is likely meaningless as FCC is federal and pro business.  

Wrong....
Your best bet is an FCC complaint.
( I work in the biz...)

rated:
I agree that the complaint will speed things up in your favor.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017