• filter:

Right choices with negative financial effects

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
What are some choices you make that feel right but have a negative financial effect?

I went from being a road warrior M-TH to a local part-time position (under 20 hours/week) however my pay got cut in half. It's not financially wise but it's stress free and gives me plenty of free time to do whatever.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
yeah, most houses are 3br. after a second kid, maybe you start considering bigger...

solarUS (Aug. 29, 2017 @ 10:04p) |

used to be that kids shared a room. 3 br is good for 4 kids, maybe more if you have basement with egress

rufflesinc (Aug. 30, 2017 @ 6:24a) |

Every penny spent on leisure activity.

DavidScubadiver (Sep. 15, 2017 @ 12:14p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Having a kid....and another....and another....and another. In addition to money, I also miss sleep.

rated:
RealEstateMatt said:   Having a kid....and another....and another....and another. In addition to money, I also miss sleep.
  Wow... maybe a thread on how you manage? I have one and considering #2. 

Kids are great, until they aren't. 

rated:
Retirement.

rated:
RealEstateMatt said:   Having a kid....and another....and another....and another. In addition to money, I also miss sleep.

and you haven't put them through college yet

op
free time to do whatever

i hope it means studies or learning imp business skill or some tech skill, not fishing

rated:
How about wrong choices with positive financial effects? 😄

rated:
H
&
B

rated:
Stubtify said:   RealEstateMatt said:   Having a kid....and another....and another....and another. In addition to money, I also miss sleep.

My wife and i planned for, and decided to have child #2...#2 turned out to be #2 and #3...twins. Wife no longer works (outside the home) and had to give up her excellent employer health insurance plan, so we're paying nearly 1200/mo for poor coverage. Love them dearly, but it's been a huge step back financially.

rated:
having a non-working able-bodied spouse

rated:
How about the inverse? IE: strategic default. Granted, credit is sacrificed for the better part of a decade, and there is risk of lawsuit/judgement/wage garnishment, but I know more than a few people have strategically defaulted on their homes that were bought back in the 2006 time frame. This has positive financial results (typically) with negative consequences.

rated:
mikejensen said:   How about wrong choices with positive financial effects? 😄
  Buying Altria stock in the '90s.

rated:
Buying so many deals on FW that turn out to be things I don't really need...

rated:
Telling the truth.

rated:
Bought a rental in 2005 that was underwater for 10 years and it finally went up to the 2005 levels this year. Now to sell it or keep it?  

rated:
Convincing my husband to finally see a dentist and start taking care of his teeth.

rated:
mikejensen said:   How about wrong choices with positive financial effects? 😄
  bitcoin.  

rated:
ericfwf said:   What are some choices you make that feel right but have a negative financial effect?

Lending money to friends and family.  

rated:
Last winter, I went nuts on discounted VCGs and MCGCs at a regional grocery chain. I bought so many, converting to PO MOs was limited to about half of them. FICO went from ~750 to as low as 602 because I used and in some cases maxed my CCs paying another 2%-5% cash back. FICO did not recover until late April 2017. I ended up prepaying cable and utility bills into this summer. A couple are still pre-paid.

rated:
Alt-right choices with negative financial effects?

rated:
qcumber98 said:   Alt-right choices with negative financial effects?

Sure, that's easy.  March with a bunch of Nazi's and skinheads, make yourself prominent, get your picture taken and posted to https://twitter.com/YesYoureRacist.  Go back to work and find out you're fired as a result, then start looking for jobs and find out the only people who will hire you are Nazi's and skinheads.  Serious salary downgrade potential.  And not much upside.

Chris.

rated:
Stubtify said:   

Don't.  Problems that comes with kids and number of kids is not a linear relationship.  It exponential.   I stopped at one and never regretted that decision.   

rated:
Buy lots of things in Hot deal forum, and stockpile them at home, then spend time clean up by either throw them away or giving them away before becoming a hoarder.

rated:
king0fSpades said:   
Stubtify said:   

Don't.  Problems that comes with kids and number of kids is not a linear relationship.  It exponential.   I stopped at one and never regretted that decision.   

me too

one and done

also fyi It costs $233,610 to raise a child

rated:
Gil: Well, great! Let's see how I can screw the fourth one up! Hey, let's have five. Let's have six. Let's have a dozen and pretend they're donuts!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098067/quotes

rated:
Tithing

j/k

rated:
Not changing the channel when that dang Sarah McLachlan SPCA Commercial  comes on...

rated:
Retiring too early and risking needing to rejoin the workforce as a old person.

rated:
My marriage.
30+ yrs later, My divorce

rated:
mrkk said:   
king0fSpades said:   
Stubtify said:   

me too

one and done

also fyi It costs $233,610 to raise a child

FYI, it costs $-0- for deadbeats on welfare, keep popping them out ..we'll pickup the tab yay!!!

rated:
I spend 10% of my cash on lotto tickets, just like I'm supposed to, but I keep losing...  right move, wrong results

rated:
skarydrunkguy said:   I spend 10% of my cash on lotto tickets, just like I'm supposed to, but I keep losing...  right move, wrong results Are you buying the right lotto tickets? The ones with the big payouts have lower chances of winning

rated:
Having a mistress........ 

rated:
two chicks at the same time.

rated:
king0fSpades said:   
Stubtify said:   

I've heard from some people that its the opposite. Learning from previous experience, economies of scale, etc. I guess it depends.

rated:
Speeding!

rated:
meade18 said:   
king0fSpades said:   
Stubtify said:   

I've heard from some people that its the opposite. Learning from previous experience, economies of scale, etc. I guess it depends.

Having lots of kids is great if you have them working on your farmland or family business for free labor 

rated:
mrmonty said:   Speeding!
  time is money

rated:
rufflesinc said:   having a non-working able-bodied spouse

Maybe depends on the pics of the spouse.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   mrmonty said:   Speeding!time is moneySpeeding (by too much) is a very risky "investment", and rarely the right choice.

Skipping 43 Messages...
rated:
ericfwf said:   What are some choices you make that feel right but have a negative financial effect?

I went from being a road warrior M-TH to a local part-time position (under 20 hours/week) however my pay got cut in half. It's not financially wise but it's stress free and gives me plenty of free time to do whatever.

Every penny spent on leisure activity.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017