• filter:

What's cheapest way to send documents to Canada?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
For a car title and paperwork. Time not an issue as it's not being picked up for a few months. Fedex and UPS letters are $45. U.S. Mail Priority Flat Rate Envelope is $23. Is there anything cheaper with tracking? No monetary value but replacing it would be a pain if it got lost so I can't just use first class mail. Pretty stupid the post office doesn't have a rate distinction between a 3 ounce envelope with 2 pieces of paper and one with 4 pounds of stuff.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Two weeks ago, I mailed a car title in an envelope via USPS First Class.  I kept a photocopy just in case.

qcumber98 (Aug. 19, 2017 @ 2:26a) |

It is $2.50 to mail a "flats" large envelope to Canada from the US if it is under 3oz. It is $1.15 to mail an under 3 oz... (more)

gnopgnip (Aug. 19, 2017 @ 11:06a) |

FedEx International Ground (2 days from NY to Ontario) costs around $20 and provides tracking.

NYKnicksFan (Aug. 21, 2017 @ 3:08p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Email.....

rated:
did you really just make a thread to save $20 on a one time expenditure?

rated:
First class mail. Starting at $1.15

rated:
This is Fatwallet isn't it? People drive 10 miles out of their way to save 5 cents on gas.

rated:
There is no difference between First Class and Priority Mail.

First Class Intl Parcel service is about $5 with Delivery Confirmation for 3 Oz

rated:
Why not send it in the smallest priority flat rate box?

rated:
You don't need tracking. Either the title shows up or it doesn't. If it doesn't show up, you need to buy a duplicate title. Doesn't matter if you have tracking or not.

rated:
First-Class Mail® International, Large Envelope, weight 0 lb 4 oz (0.113 kg) to Canada

First-Class Mail® International Large Envelope $2.91
Registered Mail™ $14.95
Total $17.86

rated:
lotusgardener said:   Why not send it in the smallest priority flat rate box?
  That starts at $25

rated:
If time isn't an issue maybe you should drive over or troll people on the fw boards if they are going to canada any time soon and you can mail it to them and then when they go to canada they can mail it

rated:
forbin4040 said:   There is no difference between First Class and Priority Mail.

Note that an 'envelope' does not qualify as a parcel. Add a peanut to make it thicker than 1/4" 

rated:
rufflesinc said:   did you really just make a thread to save $20 on a one time expenditure?
  It does pass the burrito test.

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/963147?showmessage=14307092

Also, in the above thread people complained about a new thread for $3. I guess inflation has been crazy over the past 8 years.

rated:
Sent it Priority International for $22.75.

rated:
Pigeon

rated:
Well, as long as we're having fun with facetious answers.

1. Prepare letter with intra-Canada postage.
2. Go to airport, look for flight to Canada.
3. Approach someone getting on flight to Canada, ask them to drop letter in Canada airport drop box when they get there.
4. Hookers and blow with money saved.

rated:
mapen said:   

where does one buy canadian stamps in the US

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
mapen said:   

Michigan?

rated:
DTASFAB said:   
rufflesinc said:   
mapen said:   

Michigan?

i dont think OP lives in MI or a border state

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
DTASFAB said:   
rufflesinc said:   
mapen said:   

Michigan?

i dont think OP lives in MI or a border state

Maybe another FW member could pick some up for him?

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
mapen said:   

You don't need an actual Canadian stamp.

I assumed that in the same way that one can go the US Post Office web site and print a stamp on your printer to put on your letter, one can do the same on the Canada Post web site.

rated:
mapen said:   Well, as long as we're having fun with facetious answers.

3. Approach someone getting on flight to Canada, ask them to drop letter in Canada airport drop box when they get there.
4. Hookers and blow with money saved.

Clarification on a few items

1. Prepare letter with intra-Canada postage. As this is a widely known end-around the USPS (with whom TSA is in cohorts), attach extra postage and no return address. If asked what is inside of the box you will say baked goods for your auntie/nephew, so sprinkle flour on the outside to help the ruse.
  3. Approach someone getting on flight to Canada, ask them to drop letter in Canada airport drop box when they get there. As they might not speak English, first ask them using one of the most widely used languages, Arabic. As is Arabic custom, do not let them see your eyes, but speak very forcefully and use exaggerated movements before shoving the package in their arms or suitcase. TSA may be onto you at this point, so at this point it is best to Sprint in the opposite direction towards the exit.
  4. Hookers and blow with money saved. Money saved is $15 from postage, $200,000 from the time you spend in prison and don't have to pay for necessities. 

rated:
forbin4040 said:   There is no difference between First Class and Priority Mail.

This. Send a first class "parcel", it has free tracking and delivery confirmation.

rated:
ganda said:   forbin4040 said:   There is no difference between First Class and Priority Mail.

This. Send a first class "parcel", it has free tracking and delivery confirmation.

Agree.

Just go to the post office and mail the thing. Whether it has tracking or not, it still can get lost. If you want to be 100% sure it won't get lost, you'll need to buy an airline ticket and deliver it yourself. Of course, there's always the possibility you'll lose it on the way over.

rated:
burgerwars said:   
 Whether it has tracking or not, it still can get lost.

Yes but with tracking at least you can narrow down where it's lost and they have an idea where to look.

rated:
No, tracking tells you if and when it was delivered. It's not a tool for the Post Office:CSI team to track down lost packages. It either turns up or it doesn't.

It's not very good confirmation of WHERE it was delivered, based on sporadic issues in my neighborhood with both USPS and UPS.

rated:
atikovi said:   
burgerwars said:   
 Whether it has tracking or not, it still can get lost.

Yes but with tracking at least you can narrow down where it's lost and they have an idea where to look.

Not really. The most you can say is that it wasn't lost in the location before the most recent scan (i.e. scan in LA, then scan in San Diego, you know it wasn't lost in LA). But if it's destination is Phoenix and no other scans show up, you don't know that it was lost in San Diego. In fact, many times it's not even lost and was actually delivered, they just didn't scan it.

Even then, it could still technically be lost in LA if it went back to LA for some reason.

rated:
Even if the title is lost and you can prove that the post office lost it (good luck with that), you'll still have to replace the title and... Oh damn, nevermind. I want my 3 minutes back.

rated:
rsuaver said:   

Note that an 'envelope' does not qualify as a parcel. Add a peanut to make it thicker than 1/4" 

Just make sure that's a packaging peanut and not a real one, or you you'll be forced to pay for a phytosanitary certificate from the USDA so that the item can clear customs.

rated:
greling said:   
rsuaver said:   

Just make sure that's a packaging peanut and not a real one, or you you'll be forced to pay for a phytosanitary certificate from the USDA so that the item can clear customs.

A solution I've found that works is a drinking straw or a plastic spoon.

rated:
Two weeks ago, I mailed a car title in an envelope via USPS First Class.  I kept a photocopy just in case.

rated:
It is $2.50 to mail a "flats" large envelope to Canada from the US if it is under 3oz. It is $1.15 to mail an under 3 oz letter to Canada. You do not get tracking in general with letters or flats with USPS. For $9.50 you can mail a padded envelope or lightweight box with some documents and get tracking included. UPS and Fedex are both $20+. Using registered mail will take significantly longer before it is delivered. I would expect 3-4 business days for a regular letter and 7+ for registered.

rated:
FedEx International Ground (2 days from NY to Ontario) costs around $20 and provides tracking.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017