• filter:

My landlord emailed all of their tenants in the "To:" field -- how to handle?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
An employee at my property manager emailed all of their tenants (myself included) with all of our addresses in the "To:" field. This means that I now have contact info for every one of their tenants, and they all have mine as well. Many of these email addresses make it easy to determine who these people are -- as does mine.

This seems like a completely unacceptable disclosure of my email address. Should I simply contact the person who sent the email and ask that they refrain from releasing my contact information again in the future? Or is there a more penalizing (to the PM company) way of handling this, such as reporting them to a tenant rights organization?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Ask them nicely to stop doing that. And thank them for supplying the emails of all of your neighbors in case y'all need to go to war.

rated:
Also in reply, educate them about BCC:

rated:
!. Flip out
2. ????
3. Profit

rated:
Look up your states tenants privacy laws and see if something applies or if there is any recourse. Proceed according to law for first warning.

rated:
Start bringing up all the problems in the unit and talk about how the high the rent is and say this is how we can all lower it with a nice reply alll

rated:
Nothing you can gain monetarily from it. I had the same thing happen via Frys Electronics a few years ago. Advise them of the error and move on.

rated:
Ask them to please refrain from doing so in the future. You can always block any email address you desire. Nothing for you to gain and no reason for you to make a big deal about it.

rated:
Thousands of spammers already have your email address. So what if a few of your neighbors do to? My community association with around 50 homes publishes every owners address, email and phone number in a directory emailed to everyone. Never had a problem.

rated:
JW10 said:   Also in reply, educate them about BCC:Make sure to REPLY-ALL .

Personally I use unique email addresses for everything -- I have my own domain and create forwarders/aliases. That way if there is a disclosure and I start receiving spam, I simply change my forwarder and update it at the single organization that had it.
I've also segregated my personal contacts into multiple non-crossing groups, so that if one address leaks and starts getting lots of spam, I don't have to give everyone my new address, only that group.
This scheme also allows me to disable any spam filters, which IMO aren't that good.

rated:
Reply All and find out what everyone else is paying in rent. Then negotiate.

rated:
The only rational response is a pre-emptive nuclear strike. The destruction of the planet will be a small price to pay to safeguard the privacy of your email address.

rated:
AlwaysWrite said:   The only rational response is a pre-emptive nuclear strike. The destruction of the planet will be a small price to pay to safeguard the privacy of your email address.
  When in doubt, press the red button.  This strategy hasn't failed yet!

rated:
scripta said:   
JW10 said:   Also in reply, educate them about BCC:
Make sure to REPLY-ALL .

Set up a vacation auto-reply.
Then reply saying "Thank you".
Then, one more time saying "Unsubscribe".
And finally, reply "Please take me off this list.

rated:
pretty sure email addresses do not violate any PII laws, this should be a non-starter

rated:
Start a new chain email with jokes????

rated:
tantuti said:   Start a new chain email with jokes????Or one of those amazing opportunities to get rich by sending just $1 to six people...

rated:
scripta said:   JW10 said:   Also in reply, educate them about BCC:Make sure to REPLY-ALL .

Personally I use unique email addresses for everything -- I have my own domain and create forwarders/aliases. That way if there is a disclosure and I start receiving spam, I simply change my forwarder and update it at the single organization that had it.
I've also segregated my personal contacts into multiple non-crossing groups, so that if one address leaks and starts getting lots of spam, I don't have to give everyone my new address, only that group.
This scheme also allows me to disable any spam filters, which IMO aren't that good.

Exactly this

I assumed everyone was doing this, is that not the case?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017