• filter:

Healthcare.gov cancelled my dental insurance just because I switched from a healthcare.gov medical plan to employer one

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
So I recently started obtaining medical insurance through my wife's work rather than through healthcare.gov as it's become more economical to do so. So I cancelled my medical insurance that I had via the marketplace. Problem is, this forced my separate dental plan (which I obtained through the marketplace) to be cancelled, even though the dental plan is with Delta Dental and the medical insurance I cancelled was with Aetna.

I tried re-applying for a dental plan through healthcare.gov and the site literally told me I was not allowed to buy dental coverage unless I also bought medical coverage through the marketplace.

I called the Healthcare.gov customer service and the lady on the phone confirmed the same- that you cannot have a dental plan from the marketplace without also buying a medical plan. But she admitted she didn't know the reason†why†that was a requirement. I said fine, I'll select a medical plan and then cancel it the next day just so that I can buy a dental plan from the marketplace. She said that wouldn't work because cancelling the medical plan would automatically cancel the dental plan, even if they were with two different companies, and that this was a new process they put in place.

Very frustrated here because the dental plan I had through the marketplace was a better plan (better coverage at the same price) than what Delta Dental offers directly, and they don't offer their "Health Exchange Plan" directly.

Anyone have any insight on why this requirement is in place or how to get around it?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Have you tried getting dental through your wife's work?

rated:
You can buy via Dentalinsurance.com, see if it costs around the same.

rated:
https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/dental-coverage/

"IMPORTANT: You canít buy a Marketplace dental plan unless youíre buying a health plan at the same time."

As for why, my guess is their dental plans are priced after taking into account that you must already have medical insurance and that it is your primary coverage, so probably would have a lower-cost risk pool associated. Just a guess.

Some state exchanges (CO, CT, VT, MD) seemingly allow the purchase of stand-alone dental plans.

rated:
jarfykk said:   As for why, my guess is their dental plans†are priced after taking into account that you must already have medical insurance and that it is your primary coverage, so probably would have a lower-cost risk pool associated. Just a guess.
† Very annoying if this is the case, as I do have medical insurance, just not through the marketplace.

Dental through wife's work is overpriced.

rated:
Do you really even need dental? The cost of procedures are a fraction of what medical events could cost.

rated:
ArmchairArchitect said:   

Dental insurance is expensive everywhere. Wife's work plan may still be the best bet. †

rated:
BrianGa said:   
ArmchairArchitect said:   

Dental insurance is expensive everywhere. Wife's work plan may still be the best bet. †

Not compared to my Delta Dental plan that I obtained through Healthcare.gov. It was $15/month and covered 2 cleanings per year, x-rays once per year, and 50% of most procedures.

Unfortunately that was cancelled against my will just because I switched my medical insurance from a healthcare.gov plan to an employer-sponsored plan. Silly. At least allow someone the opportunity to demonstrate that they still have medical insurance before just cancelling their dental plan.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017