• filter:

Health Insurance for aged parents > 65 years

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I plan on applying for permanent residency for My parents > 65 years old from Asia. they have not paid into the system so I don't think they qualify for Medicare. Question: Will they qualify for Obama care? Can/Should I claim them as dependents? My wife and I both combined make more than $170,000. What is the average cost of Obama care per month for people greater than 65 years old??. No pre-existing conditions (knock on wood)

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I'd go with some sort of "consultant"  but something that fits their skills so it seems more legit.

Yeah on Better Call S... (more)

jerosen (Aug. 25, 2017 @ 11:35a) |

I believe CA state has a good option for parents coming over.

quizzer25 (Aug. 25, 2017 @ 4:39p) |

Move them to Massachusetts.  They will get free healthcare.  It's a bit limited in where they can receive it but the cos... (more)

aadam101 (Aug. 31, 2017 @ 11:26a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
At 65, age itself is a preexisting condition. the insurers can't reject them but they can charge a certain amount more for an older person than for a younger person. I would imagine that they would be more likely to qualify for ACA subsidies if they were, at least on paper, not your dependents.

rated:
Things are different state by state.  Some states don't offer much, some offer a lot.

Years ago my wife's parents visited from overseas under a tourist visa, her mother became very ill and was transfered from the ER to ICU to the OR and an operation healed her.  It was covered under a state program Safety Care or something like that covers foreigners who have medical emergencies that prevent them from returning home.

rated:
You can try these sites. Who knows if current government will change any resources available. Good luck and tell them that KFC value meals don't make you any healthier

https://www.insubuy.com/new-immigrants-medical-insurance-plans/
https://www.medicareresources.org/faqs/can-recent-immigrants-to-...
https://www.visitorscoverage.com/immigrants/health-insurance-for...

rated:
axloz said:   I plan on applying for permanent residency for My parents > 65 years old from Asia. they have not paid into the system so I don't think they qualify for Medicare.

Medicare Part A is premium-free if you paid into the system for at least 40 quarters. Otherwise, you can buy part A by paying a premium ($413/month). If you choose to buy part A, you must also have part B and pay monthly premiums for both.
Source: https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/part-a-costs/part-a...

rated:
Your only options are probably your state's Medicaid program or purchasing a plan from an ACA exchange (Obamacare). Your parents don't qualify for Medicare even if they buy part A as they have not been permanent residents for at least 5 years. An online cost calculator estimates the cost of a Silver plan for your parents to be about $1600 a month but I imagine that can vary substantially by state and with possible subsidies

Insurance options for recent immigrants
Cost Calculator

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
axloz said:   I plan on applying for permanent residency for My parents > 65 years old from Asia. they have not paid into the system so I don't think they qualify for Medicare.
Medicare Part A is premium-free if you paid into the system for at least 40 quarters. Otherwise, you can buy part A by paying a premium ($413/month). If you choose to buy part A, you must also have part B and pay monthly premiums for both.
Source: https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/part-a-costs/part-a-costs.html

OP, this by FAR, your best option. Nothing else will come close.However, you have to be here for over 5 years.

As the cost here will be astronomical for them, consider buying travel insurance in your home country and self-insure them for clinic visits.  I know quite a few people who do that.

rated:
What's your parents' current immigration/visa status?

rated:
If you have a county hospital nearby, that's likely your best option.

rated:
Open up a company, put them on payroll for babysitting services if you have kids, then get health insurance for the company and then have them work for 40 quarters

rated:
Luniz97 said:   Open up a company, put them on payroll for babysitting services if you have kids, then get health insurance for the company and then have them work for 40 quarters
  That would be tax fraud.

rated:
tuphat said:   
Luniz97 said:   Open up a company, put them on payroll for babysitting services if you have kids, then get health insurance for the company and then have them work for 40 quarters
  That would be tax fraud.

Not if they're really paying them and complying with payroll taxes, etc.  There's a way to do this on the up-and-up, but it still would mean waiting 10 years (40 quarters).

Easier for them to just stay here for 5 and start paying a monthly premium to be on medicare at that time.

Meanwhile, they need healthcare now.

This exchange is exactly an example of how FW can be pointless sometimes.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   
tuphat said:   
  That would be tax fraud.

Not if they're really paying them and complying with payroll taxes, etc.  There's a way to do this on the up-and-up, but it still would mean waiting 10 years (40 quarters).

Easier for them to just stay here for 5 and start paying a monthly premium to be on medicare at that time.

It would definitely be tax fraud if you plan on deducting the compensation, PR taxes, benefits, etc. on the business tax return.  You can't legally deduct non-business expenses just because you "run it through a company."

rated:
tuphat said:   
DTASFAB said:   
tuphat said:   
  That would be tax fraud.

It would definitely be tax fraud if you plan on deducting the compensation, PR taxes, benefits, etc. on the business tax return.  You can't legally deduct non-business expenses just because you "run it through a company."

I don't know enough about it to argue the finer points with you, but I know the suggestion of having them "work" for 10 years, whatever that means, is a total non-sequitur since they need healthcare now.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   
tuphat said:   
DTASFAB said:   
tuphat said:   
  That would be tax fraud.

I don't know enough about it to argue the finer points with you, but I know the suggestion of having them "work" for 10 years, whatever that means, is a total non-sequitur since they need healthcare now.

To be fair, I think Luniz was suggesting that they be currently covered by a health policy obtained by the company, then transition to Medicare.  But it would still be tax fraud if the non-business expenses were deducted.

rated:
tuphat said:   
DTASFAB said:   
tuphat said:   
DTASFAB said:   
tuphat said:   
  That would be tax fraud.

To be fair, I think Luniz was suggesting that they be currently covered by a health policy obtained by the company, then transition to Medicare.  But it would still be tax fraud if the non-business expenses were deducted.

Now it makes sense to me.  I hadn't put all the pieces together.

rated:
How would it be tax fraud? You could be correct, it was just a crazy idea I said. Employers can provide health care, so the kids pay the parents day care service company if they have kids and the parents pay for health insurance with the company they set up.

rated:
Could you have them as dependents on your health plan?
Might be a stupid question, I am not sure if it has to be child dependents.

rated:
beatme said:   Could you have them as dependents on your health plan?
Might be a stupid question, I am not sure if it has to be child dependents.

Not in the USA.

rated:
Go to Wisconsin. I know several people who just have green card and got all kinds of medical work done for free. Including surgeries, free rooms etc.

rated:
Luniz97 said:   How would it be tax fraud? You could be correct, it was just a crazy idea I said. Employers can provide health care, so the kids pay the parents day care service company if they have kids and the parents pay for health insurance with the company they set up.
  Hey, why stop with babysitting?  Why not run other things "through the company"?  Mortgage payments, utilities, pool cleaning, kids' tuition, car expenses, European vacation.  It would all be tax-deductible, right?

rated:
Might want to check filial piety laws for your state. If your parents incur significant medical debt, some states will make you pay for it even after they pass away.

rated:
tuphat said:   Luniz97 said:   How would it be tax fraud? You could be correct, it was just a crazy idea I said. Employers can provide health care, so the kids pay the parents day care service company if they have kids and the parents pay for health insurance with the company they set up.
  Hey, why stop with babysitting?  Why not run other things "through the company"?  Mortgage payments, utilities, pool cleaning, kids' tuition, car expenses, European vacation.  It would all be tax-deductible, right?

Hey as long as they get away with that it is fair game
But man if they take $1 of food stamps...they're crooks.

rated:
New immigrants have to wait 5 years to buy Medicare, receive ACA subsidies, or enroll in Medicaid.

There are a few exceptions for immediate Medicaid coverage, but unless 
you are comfortable with them claiming you beat them or brought them here for sex trafficking, it is probably better to just buy them full-cost insurance for 5 years.

rated:
lp244 said:   New immigrants have to wait 5 years to buy Medicare, receive ACA subsidies, or enroll in Medicaid.

you are comfortable with them claiming you beat them or brought them here for sex trafficking, it is probably better to just buy them full-cost insurance for 5 years.

This ^^^^.  Use their assets to pay for private insurance for 5 years. If their assets get exhausted, use yours.  With your level of compensation, you can afford it.

rated:
EradicateSpam said:   
lp244 said:   New immigrants have to wait 5 years to buy Medicare, receive ACA subsidies, or enroll in Medicaid.

This ^^^^.  Use their assets to pay for private insurance for 5 years. If their assets get exhausted, use yours.  With your level of compensation, you can afford it.

Not if lives in the sf bay  

rated:
Stubtify said:   Hey as long as they get away with that it is fair game
But man if they take $1 of food stamps...they're crooks.

Plenty of people in prison for tax crimes who didn't get away with it.

rated:
In your business you can have a "marketing chief", "sales manager" etc and they can all be family and never show up one day. If everyone pays all the taxes etc it is legit. But you need actual income to do this.

rated:
GADOM said:   In your business you can have a "marketing chief", "sales manager" etc and they can all be family and never show up one day. If everyone pays all the taxes etc it is legit. But you need actual income to do this.

I'd go with some sort of "consultant"  but something that fits their skills so it seems more legit.

Yeah on Better Call Saul they hired Mike as a "security consultant". 

OTOH doing things they do on Better Call Saul is probably not a good idea at all, ever.

rated:
JiggleTheHandle said:   Things are different state by state.  Some states don't offer much, some offer a lot.

Years ago my wife's parents visited from overseas under a tourist visa, her mother became very ill and was transfered from the ER to ICU to the OR and an operation healed her.  It was covered under a state program Safety Care or something like that covers foreigners who have medical emergencies that prevent them from returning home.

I believe CA state has a good option for parents coming over.

rated:
Move them to Massachusetts.  They will get free healthcare.  It's a bit limited in where they can receive it but the cost is $0.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017