• filter:

Disputing fradulent credit card charges by Road Runner Sports

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I am in a six year credit card dispute with Road Runner Sports (RRS).  This is my post from last year:  

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=52&threadid=1521764 

* Roadrunner sports charged my new credit card this year.
* Last year, I reported the charge as fraudulent, Visa reversed the charge, and Visa issued me a new credit card with a new number.
* I have done zero business with Road Runner Sports
* I have no idea how Road Runner Sports got my new credit card number.

Cancelling my credit card will not help.  Road Runner Sports will somehow find my new credit card.  I need an idea besides cancelling my credit card.  I am considering filing a police report for credit card fraud.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
How much is the charge and what is the charge for?

Can you cancel whatever it is being charged by contacting RRS?

ionxchanger (Aug. 25, 2017 @ 3:00p) |

Hopefully you don't have a Citi card - yikes!!

Cashman (Aug. 25, 2017 @ 3:59p) |

I did remember your post from last year. It is obviously a scam.

Roadrunner VIP Complaints

sukiyaki75 (Aug. 25, 2017 @ 7:06p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
do a product change from Visa to MC. see whether that works.

rated:
rihex said:   do a product change from Visa to MC. see whether that works.
  I cancelled my AMEX card and switched to Visa.  That did not work.  I think if I switched to MC they would also find my MC credit card number.

rated:
BradMajors said:   
rihex said:   do a product change from Visa to MC. see whether that works.
  I cancelled my AMEX card and switched to Visa.  That did not work.

didn't you say you had used your previous Visa at RRS, though?  https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1521764?showmessage=196...

you've never used a MC at RRS, right?

rated:
holy crap . Do you have like a calendar reminder to make a new post at this time every year? I clicked the fwf link and I posted a comment on that thread too.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   holy crap . Do you have like a calendar reminder to make a new post at this time every year? I clicked the fwf link and I posted a comment on that thread too.
  Road Runner Sports charges my credit card the same day every year.

rated:
Close the account (unless it has some good feature you cannot find elsewhere).

rated:
fwuser12 said:   Close the account (unless it has some good feature you cannot find elsewhere).
  Several hundred dollars in points.  It would be cheaper to pay Road Runner Sports fee, than to lose the points.  I also have a business credit card at the same company.  RRS could possibly switch to my business credit card.

rated:
BradMajors said:   
fwuser12 said:   Close the account (unless it has some good feature you cannot find elsewhere).
  Several hundred dollars in points.  It would be cheaper to pay Road Runner Sports fee, than to lose the points.  I also have a business credit card at the same company.  RRS could possibly switch to my business credit card.

To be clear, is this really a completely separate card? Or was your first card a fidelity Amex and this new card is the replacement fidelity visa, and they are somehow forwarding the recurring charge through to your new card? I wouldn't expect that since it's handled by a different company now, but who knows what sort of arrangement fidelity might have in place to make things "convenient" for their customers.

rated:
BradMajors said:   
  Several hundred dollars in points.  It would be cheaper to pay Road Runner Sports fee, than to lose the points.  I also have a business credit card at the same company.  RRS could possibly switch to my business credit card.

If they really are "finding" or "switching" to a different card, you really need to stop pissing around and sue someone - probably RRS, your card issuer, and Visa all at once.  They (RRS) can continue billing you all they want, but it's blatantly illegal to charge your new credit card.   

rated:
LordKronos said:   
BradMajors said:   

To be clear, is this really a completely separate card? Or was your first card a fidelity Amex and this new card is the replacement fidelity visa, and they are somehow forwarding the recurring charge through to your new card? I wouldn't expect that since it's handled by a different company now, but who knows what sort of arrangement fidelity might have in place to make things "convenient" for their customers.

Totally different companies.  The Visa had no connection with the Amex in any way.

rated:
Not sure if any of the following will help, but hey, you will feel better:

- yelp it

- file a complaint with your state AG's consumer protection.

- don't forget facebook and twitter

Your OP is confusing, yes, you DID do business with them in the past and sign up for the VIP program.

They don't have your new #, your CC co just put the charge through to your new #. It's a problem with the issuing bank.

rated:
Is this charge for their " VIP " membership? This exact this has happened to me even after contacting them to cancel around a dozen times over the past 4 years.

rated:
BradMajors said:   
LordKronos said:   
BradMajors said:   

Totally different companies.  The Visa had no connection with the Amex in any way.

Right, that was already clear.  RRS got the Visa # because (as you said) you had used that Visa at RRS.  When your replaced that Visa, you did so with another Visa.  So, for some reason, your Visa issuer believed the "recurring" charge was legit and processed it. 

The same thing might happen if you were to switch from Visa to MC, but maybe NOT.  Why haven't you tried that?  If the switch would ruin your points, why not use them before requesting a product change? You'd rather keep this drama humming along over <$1k in rewards? 

It doesn't even appear that you asked your Visa issuer to BLOCK any charges from RRS.

rated:
Glitch99 said:   
BradMajors said:   

If they really are "finding" or "switching" to a different card, you really need to stop pissing around and sue someone - probably RRS, your card issuer, and Visa all at once.  They (RRS) can continue billing you all they want, but it's blatantly illegal to charge your new credit card.   

RRS billed a Visa for membership, despite LACKING authorization to bill that card for such a charge.  (RRS got the Visa # because OP bought something else from RRS).  Yet, instead of contacting gov't agencies/suing (over a BLATANT illegality), he's let this buffoonery go on for six years?  Why? He's "worried" about a few hundred dollars in CC points.  LOL!

This makes no sense.

rated:
bigchrisny said:   Is this charge for their " VIP " membership? This exact this has happened to me even after contacting them to cancel around a dozen times over the past 4 years.
  Yes.  There are numerous persons reporting the same problem.

rated:
obligatory BEEP! BEEP!

rated:
bigchrisny said:   Is this charge for their " VIP " membership? This exact this has happened to me even after contacting them to cancel around a dozen times over the past 4 years.
  Now a "new member" appears.  He signed up in 2013.  In his SECOND post EVER, he claims to have tolerated RRS's membership scam for FOUR years?

yea, ok.

rated:
CANCEL ALL credit cards from that card issuer. Freeze your credit reports.
DO dispute the charge. Now here is where you may want to switch to Credit Boards for more experienced people with similar problems.
Certain rules about paying off the other legitimate charges can impact your dispute rights in the eyes of some credit card companies. (so I have read in remarks by others.)
Do NOT ignore any communication from that credit card issuer.

rated:
Why not just keep disputing it? It's not that big a hassle.

rated:
upanddown said:   obligatory BEEP! BEEP!First, it's MEEP MEEP, and second, it was only funny for the first five years.

rated:
Curious program. Can you get a new pair of shoes every week for the annual membership fee? Would this violate their rules? If not, maybe take them up on their offer. Maybe they'll cancel your membership for you .

rated:
what bank issues your CC?

rated:
How much is the charge and what is the charge for?

Can you cancel whatever it is being charged by contacting RRS?

rated:
Hopefully you don't have a Citi card - yikes!!

rated:
I did remember your post from last year. It is obviously a scam.

Roadrunner VIP Complaints

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017