• filter:

Best credit card (existing or new) for a large appliance purchase

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Hello, planning to buy appliances for new house and want some tips from fellow FW members. 

Our purchase is going to be in the 6K range. Will probably buy from Bestbuy or costco. I am looking to use some credit card features like extended warranty and more importantly 90 day price protection in case there are better offers on thanksgiving. I found that most VISA credit cards offer a 90 day price protection so might have to go with those.

Already have Chase sapphire reserve, sapphire preferred (cancelled last year), Chase freedom. I am open to applying for a new credit card if there is one suitable.

Since I want to take advantage of extended warranty - might have to keep card open for a few years so a huge annual fee might be a disadvantage.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Sounds like $6k of free spending to earn introductory/new account bonuses.  You should be able to land an extra $600-700 by opening the right new accounts and splitting the purchases between them.

rated:
Make sure you don't apply for new cc just before your new mortgage closes.

rated:
nick555 said:   Make sure you don't apply for new cc just before your new mortgage closes.
  Yes, thanks!.. planning to take mortgage as a single holder and credit cards would be under spouse account

rated:
costco gives 2 year appliance warranty. I believe citi card (including costco citi) adds another 2 years for 4 years warranty

rated:
US Bank Cash+ card pays 5% back on "electronics" if you pick that category which includes Bestbuy...basically anything at Bestbuy.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   costco gives 2 year appliance warranty. I believe citi card (including costco citi) adds another 2 years for 4 years warranty
  Also free shipping, installation, and haul away.

rated:
Best Buy has a store credit card and a Best Buy Visa with deferred financing (monthly minimum payment required) including some Best Buy Rewards. I do NOT perceive any extended warranty, etc that you are rightly looking for. Another problem IMO is the credit card reward is in the form of Best Buy Rewards requiring additional purchases from Best Buy IF I read correctly.

Besty Buy credit card comparison

Costoc Visa is issued by CitiBank It also has possible deferred financing (monthly minimum payment required), but not as good. The Costco Visa reward builds as you use it and is paid out once a year as a Costoc credit, but I have been advised by some Costco Visa cardholders in this forum that you can convert that to case at Costco. I do NOT see any extended warranty in the terms.

Both have incentives to get their card since you are purchasing in their store. I do NOT perceive an annual fee, but double check the terms and conditions before applying. Best Buy stores will take almost any credit card. Costco is limited to Visa credit cards from any issuer with some exceptions. Double check with your Costco store.

Several cards offer price protection in addition to extended warranty Review the respective card terms and conditions. ALL credit card links in this post came from GOOGLE and do not AFIK include any personal referral links.

rated:
Looks like only Chase Credit Cards have a 90 day price protection (90 days will hopefully see thanksgiving sales and opportunity to price match), extended warranty, purchase protection. Might have to go with using the dependable Chase freedom..

rated:
Just as an aside, you should check ABT. If you aren't in IL then you pay no sales tax, you can do online chat with them -- and I found that they would negotiate on prices pretty significantly. They ended up being less expensive than Best Buy, Sears, etc. (I did have to pay for shipping, but it was STILL less than the best local option I found).

Just call/chat them and send them the model numbers for what you want, and don't take the first offer. Tell them how much you can get it for locally, etc.

rated:
ryoung81 said:   Just as an aside, you should check ABT. If you aren't in IL then you pay no sales tax, you can do online chat with them -- and I found that they would negotiate on prices pretty significantly. They ended up being less expensive than Best BuySears, etc. (I did have to pay for shipping, but it was STILL less than the best local option I found).

Just call/chat them and send them the model numbers for what you want, and don't take the first offer. Tell them how much you can get it for locally, etc.

I've also had very good luck with Goedekers.  

rated:
Some combination of a Discover card with the first year doubling and the portal bonus for Best Buy would be pretty good. Especially if you can also apply a usps movers coupon to it. I'm assuming you can showroom it then order online.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   Some combination of a Discover card with the first year doubling and the portal bonus for Best Buy would be pretty good. Especially if you can also apply a usps movers coupon to it. I'm assuming you can showroom it then order online.
  I have heard from friends that they provide free installation if you go to the store and buy. Plus you can also schedule a particular delivery date - which I need, because we'll need appliances sometime in october
So i might have to go to a store to do this instead of doing it online - bummer for me.

rated:
alokk said:   
TravelerMSY said:   Some combination of a Discover card with the first year doubling and the portal bonus for Best Buy would be pretty good. Especially if you can also apply a usps movers coupon to it. I'm assuming you can showroom it then order online.
  I have heard from friends that they provide free installation if you go to the store and buy. Plus you can also schedule a particular delivery date - which I need, because we'll need appliances sometime in october
So i might have to go to a store to do this instead of doing it online - bummer for me.

why not ask online retailers to match/beat BB prices and provide free installation? you could save hundreds of dollars in sales tax.

rated:
Does anyone have views on the Best Buy visa credit card - it says get 10% back in rewards on the first purchase if approved. On a 5-6K purchase that would mean a good $500 - $600 in rewards for something more we would need pretty soon

rated:
Read the terms carefully. Many of the credit card extended warranty policies exclude appliances that are permanently installed or can be installed.  My chase freedom card used to be advantageous because it didn't have that limitation, but a few years ago, chase "fixed" that and now it does.

rated:
The best offer you're likely to find with 0% APR is the Chase Freedom Unlimited. 1.5% cash back on all purchases. 0% interest for the first 15 months.

rated:
alokk said:   Does anyone have views on the Best Buy visa credit card - it says get 10% back in rewards on the first purchase if approved. On a 5-6K purchase that would mean a good $500 - $600 in rewards for something more we would need pretty soon

Noticed this a little late but be careful with the BB rewards. The reward value comes in a gift certificate that expires in 30 (maybe 60?) days so be sure to plan ahead for spending it. I'm assuming it has restrictions on gift card purchases.
For example, buy your washer, dryer, and fridge then use the certificate to buy the microwave or range. It would require that you do without an appliance until you get the certificate in a few weeks though.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017