• filter:

Colorado laws and my rights for harassment from upstairs neighbor

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Hi. I just moved in to a basement apartment two months ago and my neighbor upstairs has been nothing but a complete nuisance. She's nosey, arrogant, confrontational, accusatory, demanding and judgemental. She is also an alcoholic. She has caused me to have numerous panic attacks, has sent whiney texts to me regarding the yard work that is apart of our lease agreements, has accused me of doing things that are not true, and has scared my bestie away from visiting me. My landlady called me last month regarding a separate issue and I informed her of some of the things that had been going on. The neighbor confronted me a few weeks ago, and I tried to walk away, but her dog followed me into my place without my knowledge. She proceeded to open the entrance to my home and we got into an enormous argument. She has made my life hell since I told the owner about what she was doing. The owner doesn't want to get involved and told me today that if the two of us can't get along, we will both be evicted. The landlady is an attorney and when I told her I was going to file a harassment suit, she asked me not to. So not only am I having to swallow my pride AGAIN and do what the owner asks, I have to continue to be in a disruptive atmosphere until one of us leaves. I have witnesses to her behavior and have kept the texts she sent to me. Today, she blocked me from her phone. And the bills for water and electric are in her name. I could use some advice on how to handle this situation without causing myself increased health issues and about my rights as a tenant. Moving out isn't an option for me at this time

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
This is Colorado. Share some brownies with your neighbor and it will solve all your issues.

svap (Aug. 28, 2017 @ 5:04p) |

True, but the next post will be "my neighbor chews with her Mouth open and her chocolate breath is smelling up the hallw... (more)

ledwards (Aug. 28, 2017 @ 5:18p) |

What strings did you have to pull (what a stupid saying) to put yourself into this situation? And why does that matter... (more)

donotdrinkPBR (Aug. 29, 2017 @ 12:41a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
move out

rated:
Colorado -- Water and electricity in her name? Sounds like Profit. Move out and use it a a growhouse.

rated:
Moving out isn't an option. I pulled a lot of strings to get in. I can't afford to up and leave again.

rated:
stay and suffer

rated:
Please read posts left by Gauss44 and just see how many things can go wrong...especially after you don't take our advice.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Please read posts left by Gauss44 and just see how many things can go wrong...especially after you don't take our advice.
  The moment I saw the title, Gauss44's alt-id is what came to mind!

rated:
burrychristine said:   my neighbor upstairs has been nothing but a complete nuisance. She's nosey, arrogant, confrontational, accusatory, demanding and judgemental. She is also an alcoholic.

None of the above is illegal.

burrychristine said:   She has caused me to have numerous panic attacks, has sent whiney texts to me regarding the yard work that is apart of our lease agreements, has accused me of doing things that are not true, and has scared my bestie away from visiting me.

There's pills for the panic attacks. Hire a yard guy. Get a new friend.

burrychristine said:   I informed her of some of the things that had been going on.

You're being a tattle tail and expecting someone else to fight your battles.

burrychristine said:   The owner doesn't want to get involved and told me today that if the two of us can't get along, we will both be evicted. The landlady is an attorney and when I told her I was going to file a harassment suit, she asked me not to.

I don't believe any of this. Nothing in this story is eviction worthy. At worst, she doesn't renew the lease. There's no harassment here to sue over, and a real attorney would know that. She'd have laughed at you before she asked you "not to."

burrychristine said:   the texts she sent to me.

Another tip off this is all made up drama. If she's that bad of a person, you wouldn't have given her your number.

burrychristine said:   I could use some advice on how to handle this situation

Put up with it or move.

rated:
If she has blocked your cell phone number, block hers and stop talking to her.

rated:
soundtechie said:   If she has blocked your cell phone number, block hers and stop talking to her.
  How would you even know she blocked you number, unless you were the one trying to contact (or, harass) her?

rated:
burrychristine said:   has sent whiney texts to me regarding the yard work that is apart of our lease agreements,
Do explain what the yard work requires, and what the whining was about.
and has scared my bestie away from visiting me.
This warrants some explaining, too.
but her dog followed me into my place without my knowledge. She proceeded to open the entrance to my home and we got into an enormous argument.

How does a dog get into your house without you knowing? I'm guessing you also ignored her continued knocking, since you'd just walked away from an argument, and left her no choice but enter to get back her dog?
The landlady is an attorney and when I told her I was going to file a harassment suit, she asked me not to.
Asked you? Or suggested you avoid the embarrassment of doing so? I can't imagine the landlord would have any stake in someone suing the upstairs neighbor, especially if she's already ready to kick you both out.
And the bills for water and electric are in her name.
And you included this tidbit of information why?

rated:
precisely why i don't own rental property

rated:
If she's assaulting you or trespassing, call the police.  

Stop interacting with her and stop complaining to the landlord.  Start looking for another place to live.

rated:
Is FW always going to react to this question exactly the same way? I'm a bit bored of it. Trolls have to get better, more creative, more exciting. Claim someone actually did something not only illegal, but egregiously horrible. And involving money. Or something. I don't know. I'm not really a creative type.

rated:
Move out and back under the bridge

rated:
burrychristine said:   Moving out isn't an option for me at this time

qcumber98 said:   move out

Your ADD kickin in? And didn't you mean, mooove out?

rated:
Your neighbor sounds annoying. That sucks. But I don't see anything illegal going on. The answer is to avoid and ignore her.

And you should probably find another place to live asap.

Or if you won't do any of that then please do follow up in a month or two and let us know when it has escalated and you have been arrested.

rated:
If you are in a "STAND YOUR GROUND" state blow her head off if you have a gun and she is bigger than you.

rated:
bopc1996 said:   If you are in a "STAND YOUR GROUND" state blow her head off if you have a gun and she is bigger than you.
  or ask her to er, blow you.

rated:
invite her over for 12 pack and become friends

rated:
Yet better. Move in with snaggletoothed. He is single wth $300K to blow away on a house: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1582643

rated:
You guys got trolled. This thread parodies Gauss44's melodrama.

rated:
Jeez. Assuming this story is true, sounds like both sides are a little nutts. You have "witnesses"? Dog followed you into your apartment without you knowing? I think there is some crazy drama on both sides here.

rated:
Praying for the poor dog that has to deal with you and your neighbor.

rated:
This is Colorado. Share some brownies with your neighbor and it will solve all your issues.

rated:
True, but the next post will be "my neighbor chews with her Mouth open and her chocolate breath is smelling up the hallway".

rated:
What strings did you have to pull (what a stupid saying) to put yourself into this situation? And why does that matter?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017