• filter:

Google express going free!

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Looks like the fight is ON. It is going to be Google vs. Amazon - with Google Express getting access to Walmart. So basically, Costco / Walmart getting a really fast delivery mechanism without doing a lot of the legwork.

BTW - if you paid for Google Express, they will be refunding your money.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Yes, went all the way through checkout and total was close to $200, went to store and got exactly same stuff for $160.

DoonGuy (Sep. 04, 2017 @ 1:51p) |

I have never heard of google express. I am going to look into this

coup30 (Sep. 04, 2017 @ 2:50p) |

I did. Alas, price differences seem common. Example: 2.5 lb bag of Kirkland almonds  $10.99 in warehouse, $17.99 via GE.... (more)

DaveHanson (Sep. 09, 2017 @ 10:27p) |

KMHMFR3ZQ works for $10-$15 off your order

What happened to memberships?
The Google Express membership program has gone away in August 2017. If you have a membership, you’ll be refunded for the remaining time.

Why we've made the change:
We’ve recently welcomed new stores to broaden our product assortment. Many of these arrange for their own deliveries and returns, or have listed the same shipping fees and per-store minimums for everyone, regardless of membership status. Delivery speeds also vary, ranging from one day in some areas to one week or more with some specialty stores. Learn what stores are available on Google Express.  

You'll see free delivery when you meet the per-store minimum ($25 or $35 with most stores) – no membership required.

What current Google Express members should know: 
Check your inbox for an email letting you know of memberships going away. 

If you’re a paying monthly or yearly member: 

You’ll be refunded for the time remaining in your membership. You’ll get a separate email in early September when it’s processed. Look out for the subject line: “Refund on the way.”
The refund will appear in the card associated with your Express account in about one more week
You can confirm which card you used under “Subscriptions and services” in Google Payments. 

If you’re a trial member or secondary member:

Nothing is needed on your part. You’ll get free delivery for orders totaling the per-store minimum. Learn more about delivery costs.

* Free delivery means no shipping & service fees, though separate fees apply when ordering from Costco without a Costco membership. Orders must meet store minimums before taxes & fees in select delivery areas.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Yes they also now juice prices by 15 to 25%

rated:
This is going to be tough on Instacart.

rated:

rated:
I see the prices on Google Express already higher than in-store prices.

rated:
stuffedwallet said:   I see the prices on Google Express already higher than in-store prices.
  Yeah the Kirkland toilet paper is $19.19...........

rated:
worm690 said:   
stuffedwallet said:   I see the prices on Google Express already higher than in-store prices.

I use google express all the time to order the big or heavy items from Costco. My last order was 4.99 for shipping and it was delivered in 2 boxes one at 52lbs and the other 64lbs. Saves me the hassle of trying to fit that all in my car and it’s the actual club prices. On your comment I checked the prices and my areas still show the club prices with “free shipping over $35”, used to be $15. I checked TP, paper towels, drinks, and snacks against my last order and they are all the same price. 

rated:
The title is misleading.
Google express is not going free but instead individual stores on Google Express will decide the threshold for free shipping.
In fact Google seems to be getting less involved by just letting the stores sell via Google express very similar to Jet.com.
Details in Quick Summary.

rated:
worm690 said:   

$15.99 for me. I think it all depends upon which Costco store they're sending it from, perhaps the one sending it to you is in a completely different area. I know, for example, that when I ordered on there before (about a year ago), my stuff came from a Costco in Chicago and I had to pay their sales tax on the order, even though I live hundreds of miles away in Louisville, KY and there is a Costco that is almost within walking distance of me.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   The title is misleading.
Google express is not going free but instead individual stores on Google Express will decide the threshold for free shipping.
In fact Google seems to be getting less involved by just letting the stores sell via Google express very similar to Jet.com.

"Free" does not refer to the shipping, it refers to free membership which used to be paid for after 6 months. Maybe "membership" should be in the title.

rated:
mathfaster said:   
marcopolomle said:   The title is misleading.

"Free" does not refer to the shipping, it refers to free membership which used to be paid for after 6 months. Maybe "membership" should be in the title.

Also, from what I recall, there were thresholds that you had to meet to get free shipping before anyway. I'm pretty sure that some of them are actually still the same.

rated:
Whoever added the summary, good work!

rated:
$5.99 Croissants in-store price and it even shows that on their actual photo product listing, 12pack is $7.01 on Google Express. Price seems consistently higher online. Summary page would be good if everyone helps identify "loss leader" item if they exist otherwise we like to enjoy their in-store buffet and exploring new seasonal items and clearances as well.

rated:
I have a question, do you lose the return policy when you use Google Express?

rated:
mainomega said:   
worm690 said:   

I use google express all the time to order the big or heavy items from Costco. My last order was 4.99 for shipping and it was delivered in 2 boxes one at 52lbs and the other 64lbs. Saves me the hassle of trying to fit that all in my car and it’s the actual club prices. On your comment I checked the prices and my areas still show the club prices with “free shipping over $35”, used to be $15. I checked TP, paper towels, drinks, and snacks against my last order and they are all the same price. 

I guess it depends on area then ... because in my place, price is 10 to 15% more for Costco items. I literally wanted to try it but after adding item worth $200 I realized I was going to pay $20+ more ... I drove down to costco to stand in line

rated:
Make sure you know what the normal price of an item is because I found ordering the same item through Google Express leads to higher prices.

rated:
DoonGuy said:   
mainomega said:   
worm690 said:   

I guess it depends on area then ... because in my place, price is 10 to 15% more for Costco items. I literally wanted to try it but after adding item worth $200 I realized I was going to pay $20+ more ... I drove down to costco to stand in line

https://support.google.com/express/answer/4563727
If you don't have a Costco membership:
In some areas shoppers without a Costco membership can still order from Costco with Google Express: in these cases a per-item Costco access fee of 10% is applied; read more about Costco access fees.
A note on pricing
Prices are set by stores, and are sometimes different on Google Express than in the store. Prices may also differ depending on the location of the store your items come from. 

rated:
SS7Man said:   $5.99 Croissants in-store price and it even shows that on their actual photo product listing, 12pack is $7.01 on Google Express. Price seems consistently higher online. Summary page would be good if everyone helps identify "loss leader" item if they exist otherwise we like to enjoy their in-store buffet and exploring new seasonal items and clearances as well.

Those show $5.99 for me on Google Express. In fact, everything I've checked (that I know the price of off top of my head anyway) on Google Express is the same price as my neighborhood Costco, which I guess is good for me, but it isn't so good for everybody. It kind of sucks because it sounds like there are some Costcos out there that has higher prices than normal that people in a certain region are being forced to get their orders from if they use Google Express. What region of the country are you in?

rated:
I am in San Jose and they started doing this for Costco about 2 months ago. Most of the prices were 15-25% higher.. that's when I stopped my subscription.

rated:
i'm trying to use up my Groupon there b/f 9/1 Do they match Sun. ads? Any recommendations where the prices are competitive?

rated:
Right at the top of my Google Express page, there is a notice: "Price update: Prices of Costco items may differ from in-store prices".

Haven't been through to check them with warehouse pricing.

rated:
I checked and some items are 5% higher now. (Used to be exactly the same prices.) Honestly 5% is not too bad for a $35 item occasionally. (In case I need it but don't want/need to buy other stuffs. The costs of gas and time would have been way more than the 1.75) However I would certainly not use it for a large purchase. 5% for 200+ would justify a store visit...Besides, there are still too many items not available online.

rated:
Google express has been a no-go for me as the prices are higher and basic groceries like Milk from Costco are missing in the line-up. This is why i think Amazon will win this war. They are way ahead with the buyout of Whole Foods. Costco and other store need to get less greedy to make their offer more competitive on Google express.

rated:
piyush100 said:   Costco and other store need to get less greedy to make their offer more competitive on Google express.

I'm not sure they are being greedy, just wanting to make a reasonable profit.  Amazon is willing to loose money, that can't / won't last forever.

Data Point - Costco on Google Express is @ 25% higher than store prices.

rated:
slappycakes said:   
piyush100 said:   Costco and other store need to get less greedy to make their offer more competitive on Google express.

I'm not sure they are being greedy, just wanting to make a reasonable profit.  Amazon is willing to loose money, that can't / won't last forever.

Data Point - Costco on Google Express is @ 25% higher than store prices.

my thought here are ... they are already making reasonable profit with their *in-store price* ... if they charge 25% *higher* with google express (even if you meet their store minimum), it is not reasonable.

Either the are not learning or pressure from Amazon is not enough yet. 

As much as I love Costco, I can say they are going to lose this game.

rated:
DaveHanson said:   Right at the top of my Google Express page, there is a notice: "Price update: Prices of Costco items may differ from in-store prices".

Haven't been through to check them with warehouse pricing.

+1 yes kills it

rated:
Did you all enter your Costco membership number under Settings : Loyalty Programs? After I did that, the prices became exactly the same as in the store, including the available instant savings.

rated:
olegos said:   Did you all enter your Costco membership number under Settings : Loyalty Programs? After I did that, the prices became exactly the same as in the store, including the available instant savings.

Yes, went all the way through checkout and total was close to $200, went to store and got exactly same stuff for $160.

rated:
I have never heard of google express. I am going to look into this

rated:
olegos said:   Did you all enter your Costco membership number under Settings : Loyalty Programs? After I did that, the prices became exactly the same as in the store, including the available instant savings.

I did. Alas, price differences seem common. Example: 2.5 lb bag of Kirkland almonds  $10.99 in warehouse, $17.99 via GE.  Too bad.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017