• filter:

Amex raised my interest rate - 812 Experian score

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Had a card that I never used which Amex put an old account opening date on so I keep it.  

Got a rate increase letter to 18.49% and while it said my credit score was 812 Experian, it said factors used in credit score were:

Serious delinquency
Too few accounts currently paid as agreed.
Lack of recent installment loan information
Time since delinquency is too recent or unknown.

If I had any such delinquency which I do not, my credit score would not be 812 Experian and I have loads of credit I have used and paid in full.  NO LATES AT ALL.

I transferred 9000 of a 10,000 limit on this card to my other American Express which has better rewards and interest rate which I don't even use as I pay in full.  Had I not gotten the letter I would have kept the credit limit the same.  Not sure why Amex treats me differently on this card than my other Amex.  One is cobranded rewards card and the other is an American Express offering,  Cobranded one is fully Amex except for rewards program.  Neither is run by a secondary issuing bank.

If I outright cancelled this card my after transferring limit my average age would have taken a hit so moving credit line over which was allowed and processed was the best situation for me.  

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Can you explain why you care? You pay in full.

rated:
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about this

rated:
If you pay in full it doesn't matter.

But I would pull a credit report and make sure nothing new showed up that caused this to happen

rated:
I'd check the other agencies - it would be strange if they pointed out only Experian to you but the key info was only on one of the other reports. But it seems that there's definitely something strange.

If you're confident that there are no delinquencies reported anywhere, I'd leave the card alone - not worth a call to find their mistake or ragequit in protest.

rated:
"Serious delinquency" would set off alarms with me.  I would immediately get my free credit report directly from the agency used and scrutinize it very closely for errors.

rated:

rated:
AMEX is as relevant today as cassette tapes and tube TVs. Plenty of other cards offering more cash back without the rewards nonsense.

rated:
atikovi said:   AMEX is as relevant today as cassette tapes and tube TVs. Plenty of other cards offering more cash back without the rewards nonsense.
  that's pretty OT, but I definitely get more cashback and rewards from my amex cards than any other bank.

rated:
imbatman said:   
atikovi said:   AMEX is as relevant today as cassette tapes and tube TVs. Plenty of other cards offering more cash back without the rewards nonsense.
  that's pretty OT, but I definitely get more cashback and rewards from my amex cards than any other bank.

And AMEX just repaired my MacBook with extended warranty. Still my go-to card for most things.

rated:
imbatman said:   

More than 2% cash back every month on everything?

rated:
atikovi said:   
imbatman said:   

I use a Fidelity 2% CB card for my baseline, but there are lots of reasons to have an Amex as well.  My Platinum costs $150/year net ($550, less $200 in Uber credits and $200 in airline gift certs), and gets me a wide range of benefits which more than pay for the card.    

rated:
atikovi said:   
imbatman said:   

Yes, but that includes things like getting more than 2 cents per point with Starwood  points from SPG AMEX. Which is super easy to do, even then, the SPG AMEX isn't in my wallet right now. I suppose I may swap it in when I've exhausted everything else.
Only time I use a 2% card is at Costco or some other place that doesn't take AMEX.

rated:
atikovi said:   
imbatman said:   

2-3 cards offer it. How it is "Plenty"?

rated:
there's at least 9 2%+ cards. Fido 2%, Citi DoubleCash, USAA limitless (2.5%), Arrival+, Venture, BOA platinum honors rewards, Discover IT (year 1), Alliant, Marukai JCB. Probably more. There are plenty of options, and I'm not knocking them. AMEX just has plenty of cashback and rewards cards that are worth more than that IMO.

rated:
I don't currently bother with 2%/$. 1UR/$ is enough for me (1.5%). Too much effort to separate purchases for marginal 0.5% gain. And I'd rather an extra $1500 to 5UR (~7.5% value) quarterly freedom than add a freedom unlimited for ~2.25% on "other".

I should probably convert one of my citi cards to doublecash.  But I only use citi when I am planning a pricematch.

"New credit card bonus spend" requirements use up most of my "other" anyways.

rated:
Could it be the fact that he transferred from 1 Amex to Another Amex? Don't most low interest transfer programs require the money to be repaid from an outside source?

Otherwise, it looks like he is just borrowing money from Amex to pay Amex?

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Could it be the fact that he transferred from 1 Amex to Another Amex? Don't most low interest transfer programs require the money to be repaid from an outside source?

Otherwise, it looks like he is just borrowing money from Amex to pay Amex?

OP said he transferred $9000 of the credit limit from Card A to Card B - not that he transferred a balance.

I'm with the others - OP should check a credit report to verify if anything new and unexpected/incorrect has hit, and otherwise no reaction was needed if account is paid in full. Personally, I'd need to specifically look at my statements to remind myself what rates I even have at the moment - card issuers could set annual rate to 99%, it doesn't matter in the least when balance is paid in full every month.

rated:
atikovi said:   imbatman said:   

My "grandfathered" AmEx Blue Cash is my go-to primary card. 5% back on gas, pharmacy, and grocery stores after $6500 spend per year.

Everything else I use Citi Doublecash for the 2%

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017