• filter:

Rear ended- Other guy's insurance company giving me run around - my options?

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Got rear ended at a stop light. Guy admitted the fault to me and I got the whole conversation recorded on iPhone.   Police came and didn't give him a ticket.  Just exchanged info. I filed a claim with Geico and they are giving me a run around. I uploaded the admission of fault MP3s to the claim website. The reason they say, "they cannot get hold of their insured" It has been 10 days.  I also got migraines after accident and stiff neck.   I went through my own work insurance to see the doctor, however I did report injury to geico as well.

Geico is saying, we are trying to reach the insured.  You just have to be patient.   How can I speed up the process?  How can I get the car repaired?  I also notified my insurance and they suggest I wait for Geico?  I am fine with paying deductible and get the car fixed.

Is contacting an injury lawyer going to help?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Yes, this is what I was getting at in some of my other posts.

David2k8 (Aug. 31, 2017 @ 10:09p) |

Unless Geico's app has changed in the last few months it does not ASK about not-at-fault accidents at all.  It does ask ... (more)

RedWolfe01 (Sep. 01, 2017 @ 9:02a) |

Not sure how to get a screen shot to show up, but here is a copy and paste from this portion of the quote process.

If you... (more)

David2k8 (Sep. 01, 2017 @ 10:33a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
If you have full coverage and don't mind paying deductible up front, go through your insurance - you will get your car fixed sooner and your deductible reimbursed assuming all goes well. That's what your insurance company is for.

rated:
you suffered bodily injury.

STOP talking to insurance companies, and get a lawyer.

rated:
I had this happen before. Their insurance company won't pay out if they can't contact the policy holder. You can try contacting them yourself and tell them what is going on but if they are trying to dodge the calls on purpose, you are really out of luck unless you sue them in court. You might be able to file a police report to leverage the driver into contacting their insurance company as well. 

rated:
Injury lawyers will help if you have substantial medical bills. Sounds like you suffered whiplash.

rated:
qcumber98 said:   Injury lawyers will help if you have substantial medical bills. Sounds like you suffered whiplash.
  after getting a lawyer, OP will have substantial medical bills.

rated:
rihex said:   
qcumber98 said:   Injury lawyers will help if you have substantial medical bills. Sounds like you suffered whiplash.

Unless the injury caused the OP to miss work, an injury claim will only be worth a few hundred dollars at the most. Getting a lawyer will be a waste of time.

rated:
avalon6 said:   
rihex said:   

Unless the injury caused the OP to miss work, an injury claim will only be worth a few hundred dollars at the most. Getting a lawyer will be a waste of time.

obvious response: lawyer will have OP "miss work"

my experience: I didn't miss any work. But I still got $3k+ and all my chiropractic bills paid.

rated:
Depending on your state, your state insurance commission may be able to help. If not, going through your insurance may be easier than hiring a lawyer, unless you think your injuries are serious

rated:
rihex said:   
avalon6 said:   
rihex said:   

my experience: I didn't miss any work. But I still got $3k+ and all my chiropractic bills paid.

And what was the lawyer's take? You could have gotten that without a lawyer. 

rated:
avalon6 said:   
rihex said:   
avalon6 said:   
rihex said:   

I got $3k+ and all my medical paid AFTER my lawyer took his 25% cut (which I negotiated down from 33%).  He also got me my $1k collision deductible refunded, w/o taking a cut of it. At the time, I lacked UM coverage).
My insurance company played all sorts of games when I attempted to represent myself.  All of the buffoonery stopped once I got an attorney. (I dealt with my insurance company because the at-fault driver was uninsured).

rated:
dayseedesi said:    Guy admitted the fault to me and I got the whole conversation recorded on iPhone.   
  Unless guy agreed beforehand, recording may be inadmissible in court. 

rated:
rihex said:   
avalon6 said:   
rihex said:   
avalon6 said:   
rihex said:   

I got $3k+ and all my medical paid AFTER my lawyer took his 25% cut (which I negotiated down from 33%).  He also got me my $1k collision deductible refunded, w/o taking a cut of it. At the time, I lacked UM coverage).
My insurance company played all sorts of games when I attempted to represent myself.  All of the buffoonery stopped once I got an attorney. (I dealt with my insurance company because the at-fault driver was uninsured).

This 'buffoonery' is happening to me.   No question that guy at fault is dodging their phone calls. If there are no consequences for him, why would he answer the phone. Geico, was also telling me that particular car that he was using was not on the policy, probably a borrowed car.  Even if the car is borrowed and the insured has a policy with Geico (person who hit me),  geico should be responsible, not the person who owned the car.  Am I correct?

rated:
dayseedesi said:   

Geico, was also telling me that particular car that he was using was not on the policy, probably a borrowed car.  Even if the car is borrowed and the insured has a policy with Geico (person who hit me),  geico should be responsible, not the person who owned the car.  Am I correct?

state laws vary. but, as a rule, the owner of the car is liable.  I would let a lawyer sort this out.
source 

rated:
dayseedesi said:    No question that guy at fault is dodging their phone calls. If there are no consequences for him, why would he answer the phone. 

It doesn't really make sense to dodge their phone calls because if you end up suing him, he will have to pay out of his own pocket rather than his own insurance company. The only way he comes out ahead is if you don't sue him and let the whole thing go out of frustration. If Geico denies the claim, you might be able to make an uninsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if you have the coverage. 

rated:
Why don't you go thru your own auto insurance?
They will deal with Geico, may be simpler than getting a lawyer.

rated:
Details details details .....Document every conversation, whom ever you talk to regarding this whole incident... each state has limitations in regards to your claim, but typically it's two years for fulfillment.
Most importantly if you have any type of injury, no matter how small ... seek medical assistance either through your own physician or go to the emergency room... although it might not feel like an emergency to you it will provide you the proper medical documentation that you will need down the road for your accident case file.. I stress the importance of going ASAP... each day you wait... it devalues your claim... an example, the claims adjuster will ask you did you seek medical attention ,if you say,no not until month later, they may believe you're just trying to collect and the value that is placed on it will diminish substantially.. insurance companies base your claim criteria on the number of items..

Vehicle and/or property damage
Medical bills and how much they cost
Bodily injury to include pain and suffering
And then of course inconvenience for you..

The adjuster will try to be compassionate to you and say things like all will hear For your inconvenience we like to offer you this amount this is what we feel it's worth...
What they don't tell you is each Insurance claim adjuster is taught how to read the individualsand their responses to their questions ..they must inform you that they are recording your conversation. That is

They will try to offer you the lowest amount that they feel they can get away with... which only makes sense their job is to keep the company's money and not give it to you...
This is where your medical bills will come into play because it creates value whether it's a couple thousand or $100,000 it will make a difference..

They have a certain criteria that they have to follow based on your medical bills and how much in compensation they can offer..

Do not accept the first offer and absolutely do not sign any document the insurance company and / or attorneys from either your insurance company or the defendants asking you to settle.. if you do you'll give up all your rights...

Once the Geico insurance company is on board they will try to settle it as soon as possible as to reduce their liability , again Most states allow you to keep a claim open once it's filed for 2 years at least in Ohio.. you can find that information regarding your state through your attorney general's website regarding limitations... I wish you the best ...I hope this helps.. while it is long, I believe it is informative.
if you experienced any type of bruising have somebody take a picture, that will just add to your case providing more ammunition.. even if there is no bruising the insurance agent cannot tell you how you feel inside nor know how the pain you feel inside with your neck or your back that's why medical documentation is so important chiropractic care or physical therapy and when they give you the orders to go,, the referrals ..make sure you follow up because if you don't again it will devalue your claim...good luck... and I hope you feel better soon best of health to you
. ps: make your insurance company works for you put it in their hands, especially with full coverage, they will work for you, that is their job to provide you excellent customer service because you are their client.. ask your agent if you have the optional medical bills pay on your underinsured /uninsured motorist.. they will work for you you just have to ask that's what you pay them for..

rated:
DealsBrokeMe said:   Why don't you go thru your own auto insurance?

To avoid your rates going up. 

rated:
10 days is barely scratching the surface of the claim process. When I got rear-ended, it took 3 months of me dealing with the other party's insurance company before they paid out. My friend got sideswiped and it took a year to settle. Funny thing is, after I deposited the checks, State Farm sent me a letter stating they were starting subrogation. I never even paid a deductible.

rated:
Oh yeah and in the end no matter how small value you place on your claim you can always talk to an injury lawyer they will work for you up front and not ask for payment until judgement is served in your favor.. and in Most states, the insurance follows the car not driver... so in your case not only do you have the car insurance company to sue because they are responsible for the vehicle you have the vehicle's owner and you have the individual driver three separate entities as your lawyer will explain to you although it may not be the borrowed car owner's fault he does assume personal liability, unless of course the car was stolen then it would just be the insurance company you would be able to sue, if you can locate him.. in this digital world we live in it's not hard to find anybody anymore.. good luck

rated:
avalon6 said:   

Your rates don't go up unless the accident is your fault. That is what State Farm told me. 

rated:
rihex said:   
dayseedesi said:   

Geico, was also telling me that particular car that he was using was not on the policy, probably a borrowed car.  Even if the car is borrowed and the insured has a policy with Geico (person who hit me),  geico should be responsible, not the person who owned the car.  Am I correct?

state laws vary. but, as a rule, the owner of the car is liable.  I would let a lawyer sort this out.
source 

According to your source, owner of the car is liable for car damage but the driver is liable for medical bills.

rated:
king0fSpades said:   
rihex said:   
dayseedesi said:   

source

According to your source, owner of the car is liable for car damage but the driver is liable for medical bills.

it says that driver "might be liable, IF he has his own auto insurance."  In OP's case, driver keeps dodging phone calls.  I would assume that's because he has NO insurance.

rated:
qcumber98 said:   
avalon6 said:   

Your rates don't go up unless the accident is your fault. That is what State Farm told me. 

If you have a run of not-at-fault accidents, your rates could go up. Best to avoid telling your insurance company if you can.

rated:
rihex said:   
king0fSpades said:   
rihex said:   
dayseedesi said:   

source

it says that driver "might be liable, IF he has his own auto insurance."  In OP's case, driver keeps dodging phone calls.  I would assume that's because he has NO insurance.

The driver has insurance.  Geico confirmed that the driver has a policy with Geico.  Just that the car he used to hit was not on the policy.

rated:
this thread is interesting to me. I rear ended someone very recently, a deer ran in front of them and they slammed their brakes. Barely a scratch on their car and my car is probably a total loss. I followed up with my insurance right away, even though it is most likely my fault.

rated:
avalon6 said:   
qcumber98 said:   
avalon6 said:   

If you have a run of not-at-fault accidents, your rates could go up. Best to avoid telling your insurance company if you can.

This s the worst bullshit recommendation.  It has already been unanimously decided on FWF that if you have insurance, for crying out loud, f'n use it. 

rated:
king0fSpades said:     This s the worst bullshit recommendation.  It has already been unanimously decided on FWF that if you have insurance, for crying out loud, f'n use it. 

You have to call someone. You can either call your insurance or their insurance. It is literally the same amount of work. Why not avoid your insurance company if you can? 

rated:
dayseedesi said:   

The driver has insurance.  Geico confirmed that the driver has a policy with Geico.  Just that the car he used to hit was not on the policy.

Insurance companies look for any reason (legal or illegal) to avoid liability.

In your case, expect Geico to DENY your claim, since the vehicle was not listed on driver's policy. 

This is a tricky case, since the at-fault driver did NOT own the at-fault vehicle. I would let a professional deal with this.

Additionally, I would keep my own insurance out of this, since scumbag insurance companies look for any reason to jack rates or cancel policies.

rated:
rihex said:   
dayseedesi said:   

Insurance companies look for any reason (legal or illegal) to avoid liability.

In your case, expect Geico to DENY your claim, since the vehicle was not listed on driver's policy. 

This is a tricky case, since the at-fault driver did NOT own the at-fault vehicle. I would let a professional deal with this.

Additionally, I would keep my own insurance out of this, since scumbag insurance companies look for any reason to jack rates or cancel policies.

OK, so you suggest to call an injury lawyer.  Medical treatment and PT, I can get through my own insurance.  My biggest concern is getting my car the way it was before accident.  Additional pain and suffering compensation would be nice.

rated:
If you can't wait to repair your car, then you should be going through your own insurance. That's basically hiring a professional. It's certainly in their best interest to get your money back and they'll be a lot better at it than you will. Plus, you've already paid them so it'll be cheaper than hiring a lawyer. But if you can wait and want to avoid your own insurance, then I doubt even hiring a lawyer is going to speed things up.

If all you have are migraines and a stiff neck with no prior history, then most doctors will probably just tell you to take it easy for a few weeks and all will be fine. The other insurance company will probably just offer you $500 or so and you can negotiate up from there. If you actually end up going to the doctor a number of times, then maybe a lawyer is worthwhile, but I doubt getting a few thousand from the other insurance will be that hard after a few appointments (they don't want to deal with lawyers either). It's when you have substantial injuries requiring many appointments or prior history that lawyers make the biggest difference.

rated:
dayseedesi said:     OK, so you suggest to call an injury lawyer.  Medical treatment and PT, I can get through my own insurance.  My biggest concern is getting my car the way it was before accident.  Additional pain and suffering compensation would be nice.
  Your health insurance will likely place a lien on any settlement for their costs. A single doctor's visit will probably go unnoticed. PT will generally require you to fill out a form that gets sent to your health insurance about the cause of the injury and if you mark down auto accident, they'll contact you to follow up.

Once you start heading into doctor + PT, a lawyer is probably worthwhile, unless you're willing to deal with figuring everything out yourself. 

rated:
Give them time to investigate. In most states, an insurer has at least 30 days to investigate the accident before they have to make a decision or notify you of a delay. They want to settle the claim, too, but they have to be diligent about it. Even though the other person didn't get a ticket, get the police report, because it will likely still detail what everyone admitted happened and the officer observed. A reputable insurance company won't deny your claim just because they can't reach their insured, but they have to make diligent attempts to reach them before agreeing to pay, in case something isn't true. And, without speaking to their insured, they won't be able to pay the claim unless there is evidence their insured was responsible. An audio recording might not be evidence. They don't know if the recording you have is your friend acting like an accident happened, right? Help them get whatever is available. If, for some reason, there is no police report, suggest to the insurance company that the police officer likely still remembers the accident and (maybe) can provide the evidence they need to conclude responsibility. But hopefully, the insured will respond soon and everything will be taken care of that way.

rated:
Not sure why everyone makes this so hard... call YOUR insurance company and file a claim. Period... end of sentence. That's part of what you pay them for. Trust me, they'll go after the other party's insurance (they don't want to be out of pocket for the claim) and work to get your deductible back through subrogation.

rated:
BigFatCat said:   Not sure why everyone makes this so hard... call YOUR insurance company and file a claim. Period... end of sentence. That's part of what you pay them for. Trust me, they'll go after the other party's insurance (they don't want to be out of pocket for the claim) and work to get your deductible back through subrogation.

I agree. To add to this, if you have full coverage, then I'm sure your insurance company is interested in the fact that their insured, (possibly bank-owned) car has been damaged and devalued. Avoiding them makes you look a bit shady, assuming that situation applies.

rated:
Logan71 said:   
BigFatCat said:   Not sure why everyone makes this so hard... call YOUR insurance company and file a claim. Period... end of sentence. That's part of what you pay them for. Trust me, they'll go after the other party's insurance (they don't want to be out of pocket for the claim) and work to get your deductible back through subrogation.

I agree. To add to this, if you have full coverage, then I'm sure your insurance company is interested in the fact that their insured, (possibly bank-owned) car has been damaged and devalued. Avoiding them makes you look a bit shady, assuming that situation applies.

Thanks. I have setup an appointment with an injury lawyer. Let's see what he says. Otherwise I will file directly with my insurance. I got estimate of $1300. My deductible is $600. I won't get any pain and suffering compensation from my own insurance. 

rated:
dayseedesi said:   

OK, so you suggest to call an injury lawyer.  Medical treatment and PT, I can get through my own insurance.  My biggest concern is getting my car the way it was before accident.  Additional pain and suffering compensation would be nice.

Most injury lawyers can set you up with a good repair facility that won't make you pay until after your case settles.  While your car is in the shop, get a rental.  If you can't afford one, tell your lawyer to cover the costs now and deduct them from your settlement check later.

Also,  insurance-industry trolls came out from under their bridge in this thread, repeatedly telling you nonsense.  I'm glad you ignored them and are going to do what's in your best interest.

rated:
STOP ALL COMMUNICATIONS AND HIRE A PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER ASAP!!!!!

Believe me, they know how to handle this way better than you. I was involved in an accident where I was injured and my car totaled. Lawyer took care of everything including setting up my medical treatment. We also had problems reaching the other driver to sue him (his insurance expired the next day so he prob went into hiding) so took several months longer as we had to post public notices in newspapers.

The day prior to a default judgement being entered in court, they offered a large settlement since they couldn't defend themselves with their insured MIA. My lawyer said this company was very stingy and never offered settlement before. I accepted and after my lawyer & medical took their cuts I ended up with a nice 5-figure check. I was in between jobs at the time so you don't need a job as long as you have injuries. Also got a nice settlement for my car, higher than retail value, which the lawyer can not take a cut of. The whole thing took about 1.5 years. As you can tell I was pretty satisfied with my representation. 

rated:
Former insurance adjuster and paralegal here.

1st, the person above who said your insurance can go up even for not at-fault accidents is correct. Some insurance companies will give you a discount if you have 0 accidents, having a single accident regardless of fault can cause your rate to rise. Having multiple not at-fault accidents can make your rate go up. Alot of it depends on the insurance company. If you wait to go through the other persons insurance the chances of yours going up is less likely as they wont be aware of the accident unless for some reason they re-run your CLUE report, like for a renewal, change the policy in some way, or you switch insurance companies. I would hold off as long as you can before reporting it to your insurance. But, if you need your car repaired quickly, then you should probably report it. Also, if you have medpay or pip coverage, you will want to utilize them for the injuries, and should probably go ahead and report it.

Is there a police report? It sounds like there may not be one, which would explain why they wont make a liability decision until talking with their insured. When an accident happens you always want to make sure a PR is filed, and make sure the officer fully understands your point of view and what happened. This is usually the main way the insurance companies decide fault. Being that you got rear-ended, it should be pretty clear who is at fault. But its not surprising they want to talk to their insured before making a liability decision. Pester the adjuster like crazy.

As far as the injuries, YOU ARE NOT A DOCTOR! Do not tell the adjuster anything other then you are in pain, seeing a doctor, and will update them once the treatment is finished. Try to avoid the topic with the adjuster, or tell them you might get an attny and they told you not to say anything about it at this point. Follow the doctors orders, but dont tell the doctor anything incriminating, like you fell off a ladder the week before, drug use, or past injury history, lol. If it is a neck or back issue, seek treatment with a chiro or physical therapist (but there should be at least a general referral by the doctor). Once the treatment is done, get all the medical records, have them organized, and calculate your total medical bills. It depends on your injury (soft tissue vs objective like a fracture), damage to vehicle, how negligent the other person was, but usually you can expect to settle the case for 2-3x's the medical bills. Law firms will organize the records and send a demand letter, which is basically a timeline of your treatment and injuries, the negative effects the accident had on you, and an amount you want to settle the case for. Since some negotiation is expected, this # is much higher then the 2-3x's figure above.

If you have medpay or PIP coverage and are using it, make sure the providers submit the bills to them, BUT advise the adjuster you want them to hold off on making any payments. Eventually once they receive enough bills the medpay can be released directly to you, especially if it is $1K or $5K. You will eventually have to pay this money back, but you might be able to get a discount on what you pay back. Also, the chiropractor bills are usually highly negotiable as well, so you dont want them getting paid in full by the medpay or health insurance. Anything that was paid to your health insurance will need to be paid back as well, but keep in mind the insurance pays a fraction of the cost. The health insurance lien may be negotiable as well.

Couple of notes. 99% of the time a complaint or "law suit" is unnecessary as most cases are settled pretty soon after treatment is finished and the medical bills/records are received. I think it depends on the practices of the law firm if they file suit right away or dont even bother with it. Also, many of the law firms that you see advertising on TV have the paralegals doing most of the work, and an attny rarely looks at the case. It is just a matter of knowing the procedures, and doesnt necessarily require an attny. Basic cases can be handled pretty quickly by a paralegal, which in my opinion makes the 1/3, 40%, 25%...fee a rip-off. I have wondered why nobody has started a company that helps people settle claims prior to filing a complaint. The insurance adjusters arent attnys, so if they can negotiate and settle a case pre-suit for the insurance why couldnt a fee-lance paralegal do the same for the insured?!? Anyway, hope some of this info helps.

Skipping 29 Messages...
rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   
David2k8 said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   
David2k8 said:   
dayseedesi said:   I met with an injury lawyer. They want to take my case and say no out of pocket cost. They are suggesting their own doctors and say that I won't see the bills. Bills will be deducted from the settlement.
Can you think of anything that can go wrong? According to them if they can't get the settlement, then I won't be billed for ANY thing, not even for medical.

They also suggested to use my own insurance company for repairs. 

Their "own doctors" are probably the lawyers golfing buddies who also refers patients to the law firm.   No, you will not see any of the medical bills.  They will be outrageous and if you saw them you would be like heck no, I am not going back.  $50-75 for an ice pack, $100's of dollars for a single 30 minute visit, etc...Your settlement will be based on these outrageous medical bills, but the lawyer and doctors will have an understanding that this is not what they will actually get paid.  

When the settlement check comes in to the lawyer, they will make sure the doctors get paid (as well as themselves).  Not the super inflated rates that they billed, but definitely more then they would have gotten paid any other way, like through health insurance.  The lawyer will take their cut, then you will get yours.  You will probably be happy since everything was taken care of and you got more then you thought you would get, but the lawyer and doctors will also make out very well for minimal work.  Then your insurance goes up (it will probably go up regardless at this point) and you will be stuck with the bill.

You are half right, the lawyers have a "system" in place that they have tuned to extract the most from an insurance company.  Medical clinics that write things in a way to point to liability and who have agreed to work either on contingency or more likely just bill the lawyer who passes it through at a markup.

You are also half wrong, if you are suing the other party then THEIR insurance is the one going up.  Technically if there are a higher rate than predicted accidents in an area by people who use your insurance company then your insurance can go up a little bit (inflation tends to slide it up, age tends to slide it down) but you can change companies.  The cost of insurance from company to company changes every year for a specific address.  Yours won't go up out of proportion due to the accident however.   The person that mentioned a "hit and run" that is a comprehensive claim and is a different case than when you have another party at-fault involved.

Go to the Geico website and get a quote using made up information.  Get one quote with 0 accidents and another with a not at-fault accident, make sure everything else is the same, and tell me how the rates compare??  They will NOT be the same!  

A suit being filed or not filled does not have any impact on how the claim is reported to CLUE therefore no impact on the rate. 

Unless Geico's app has changed in the last few months it does not ASK about not-at-fault accidents at all.  It does ask about comprehensive and liability claims.  This isn't to say they NEED to ask these, they pull your CLUE report anyway.  The reason they ask YOU for them is to make you put them "on the record."

Not sure how to get a screen shot to show up, but here is a copy and paste from this portion of the quote process.

If you have had any of the following, please add them below.

• Accidents (regardless of fault) in the last 5 years?
  • Traffic Tickets in the last 5 years?
  • DUIs in the last 10 years?
  • Suspensions or Revocations in the last 10 years?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017