• filter:

Adding Authorized Users with made-up names, social security numbers and dates of birth

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
If I add Authorized Users (to a credit card) with made-up names, social security numbers and dates of birth for special offers, is there any unlawful of adverse outcome? I read on another financial website that you can make up names, SSNs and dates of birth for this purpose.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
My cat has a Visa card in her name as an AU but I never asked for it. The bank gave it to me.

rated:
qcumber98 said:   My cat has a Visa card in her name as an AU but I never asked for it. The bank gave it to me.
  Your cat impersonated you!

rated:
What happens when you make up a SSN that happens to be a real person?

rated:
runoff said:    I read on another financial website that you can make up names, SSNs and dates of birth for this purpose.
  You believe everything you read on the internet? And what legal problems do these people have that you can't use their real names, SSNs and dates of birth? 

rated:
qcumber98 said:   My cat has a Visa card in her name as an AU but I never asked for it. The bank gave it to me.
  Did she use her real name, SSN and DOB on the application?

rated:
I would think that the issuer would perform an identify verification prior to issuing the card, otherwise why would they bother? Seems like a bad idea to make that up, opening yourself up to having the account closed and/or accusations of identity theft.

Most banks don't require anything more than a name, in which case there's nothing stopping you from getting cards for your kids, your pets, and your imaginary friends. But if you're dealing with Amex or another bank which requires SS# and DOB, I wouldn't risk it.

rated:
doveroftke said:   I would think that the issuer would perform an identify verification prior to issuing the card, otherwise why would they bother? Seems like a bad idea to make that up, opening yourself up to having the account closed and/or accusations of identity theft.

Most banks don't require anything more than a name, in which case there's nothing stopping you from getting cards for your kids, your pets, and your imaginary friends. But if you're dealing with Amex or another bank which requires SS# and DOB, I wouldn't risk it.

Yes, this is an AmEx card (targeted) that offers to earn up to 20,000 Membership Rewards Points by adding up to 4 Additional Card Members. I was thinking of making up 4 members but they all require names, SSNs and dates of birth.

rated:
runoff said:   
doveroftke said:   I would think that the issuer would perform an identify verification prior to issuing the card, otherwise why would they bother? Seems like a bad idea to make that up, opening yourself up to having the account closed and/or accusations of identity theft.

Yes, this is an AmEx card (targeted) that offers to earn up to 20,000 Membership Rewards Points by adding up to 4 Additional Card Members. I was thinking of making up 4 members but they all require names, SSNs and dates of birth.

ask friends/family to help you.  I'd avoid giving fictitious info. to AMEX, since it's known to do financial reviews.  If an investigator were to discover your shenanigans, expect account closures and multi-year (if-not-permanent) blacklisting.

rated:
Lying on an application or providing false information to the bank is a federal crime called FRAUD.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/credit-card-companies-lying-application/ 

Yes, I have read some folk have done as you ask, but it is not worth the legal penalty costs if they wake up.

rated:
Purrfect.

rated:
I had an offer from Citi offering a bonus if I added an AU to one of my cards.  Thought about adding my dog, but the terms had something along the lines of "by making this request, you are authorizing us to obtain additional information about the AU if necessary for card issuance."  I decided it wasn't worth the risk of potentially being blacklisted if they came back and asked for my dog's SSN.

rated:
JW10 said:   Lying on an application or providing false information to the bank is a federal crime called FRAUD.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/credit-card-companies-lying-application/ 

Yes, I have read some folk have done as you ask, but it is not worth the legal penalty costs if they wake up.

Plus, since it's an Amex, you might be chosen for a financial review.  When they come knocking, I wouldnt want to be the one trying to explain.

rated:
runoff said:   I read on another financial website that you can make up names, SSNs and dates of birth for this purpose.

"Can" as in "you can usually get way with it", not "can" as in "they allow it".

rated:
I have a similar offer with 25 credits for each AU. I was thinking about adding the kids but Amex requires the AU to be at least 13. I guess I will just have to ignore this offer. I would never go that far to make up names and SSNs.

rated:
You can add me as an authorized user... AND... you can keep the membership rewards points. I'll only use the card for a few days, then I'll shred it. I'm nice like that

rated:
View said:   I have a similar offer with 25 credits for each AU. I was thinking about adding the kids but Amex requires the AU to be at least 13. I guess I will just have to ignore this offer. I would never go that far to make up names and SSNs.
This is my offer:
When you add Additional Card Members to your Premier Rewards Gold Card, you can share the benefits with those most important to you and earn even more Membership Rewards® points. And, with this special offer, you can earn up to 20,000 Membership Reward® Points — 5,000 Membership Reward® Points for each of the first four new Additional Card Members that are added through this email and each spend $500 or more in purchases on their Cards in the first 3 months of Card Membership.

rated:
This has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've ever read about on here...

rated:
If you call and have them add the AUs they can often waive the SSN and DOB requirement.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017