• filter:

price protection credit cards comparison

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I am new to credit card price protection benefit, but apparently there are credit cards that offer upto $2,500 of price adjustments per year, some are even good for Black Friday.  This article breaks down detailed comparison of credit cards offering that benefit, and offers strategies how to maximize it.

http://bestdealwins.com/discussion/5/best-credit-card-for-price-...

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:

rated:
Citi Price Rewind is great for getting the price BUT their system rarely finds a low price, you have to do the work.

rated:
EradicateSpam said:   Citi Price Rewind is great for getting the price BUT their system rarely finds a low price, you have to do the work.
  First time trying without submitting the form.  It seemed to have found the google shopping price I wanted.  Basically I matched up the description and knew it was that specific site being caught.   Have to wait 60 days though.... Should have probably just submitted the form again.

rated:
discover is da bomb

rated:
Used Discover and Citi and Discover was way more effective. Citi automatic price protection is not gonna work for very short-lived sales. You have to manually submit a claim right on time. Which is basically also what you do with Discover but they refunded me way faster than Citi after accepting my claim.

As a caveat, in the decision, also factor in extended warranty benefits if you're going for a big ticket item. Most are equivalent (doubles warranty up to one extra year) but some exclude wear and tear. Most also limit the coverage to items with original warranty up to 3 years while AMEX covers items with original warranty up to 5 years. Finally a few cards (select Citi cards I know for sure) now offer to double the original warranty up to 2 years. I believe the Citi Double Cash is one of them. That could be enough to tip the scale towards using one of those cards assuming the price protections are similar otherwise.

rated:
imbatman said:   discover is da bomb
  can you provide us some examples

rated:
Excellent experiences with Chase Reserve price protection. Approvals in less than a week, all online submission.

rated:
Shandril said:   Used Discover and Citi and Discover was way more effective.
As a caveat, in the decision, also factor in extended warranty benefits if you're going for a big ticket item. Most are equivalent (doubles warranty up to one extra year) but some exclude wear and tear. Most also limit the coverage to items with original warranty up to 3 years while AMEX covers items with original warranty up to 5 years. Finally a few cards (select Citi cards I know for sure) now offer to double the original warranty up to 2 years. I believe the Citi Double Cash is one of them. That could be enough to tip the scale towards using one of those cards assuming the price protections are similar otherwise.

discover excludes computer components though, right? Is there a minimum price difference to make a claim?  (Citi includes those, for example, and no minimum price difference.  Just submitted 6 Amazon purchases for $7 difference each, $42 total.  Annoying you must do one submission for Each item though.  Don't have a Discover yet myself so I haven't looked at it closely.)

i don't have specifics memorized for the other issuers, but your Citi warranty terms were inaccurate.  Citi provides 2 years warranty coverage (up to 7 years, runs after manufacturer AND any third party warranty coverage like Squaretrade or store warranties).  There's no requirement on length of manufacturer warranty - it could be 2yrs, 1yr, 30days - it just must have A manufacturer warranty, of any length.  The citi coverage is 2 additional years regardless.  No "doubling" like you reference.  On paper, including third party warranties, no requirement on length of manufacturer warranty, adding two years vs "up to one", and the 7yr total all exceed competitors' extended warranty benefits.

Discover looks useful for out of stock ads.  They might be the only one offering price adjustments to out of stock?  I guess I need to get one.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
imbatman said:   discover is da bomb
  can you provide us some examples

Well, the example I'm referring to is in the link OP posted.
Specifically, I always do my Black Friday shopping in store the Wednesday before Black Friday.

rated:
Discover includes most things. They allow limited quantity sales, and black Friday sales. Most exclude that. They allow you to use it on up to 3 of the same item, as long as they are purchased on separate days. It is by far the easiest. You make a quick call, they set you up with an online link, and you upload your docs. Typically within 2 weeks you have a check, around the holidays it might take more like a month. I have yet to have one denied. They do have some exclusions, but they do NOT exclude electronics. I have used it the last 4 black Fridays to buy TV's and tablets a week before the sale started.

rated:
Too bad I don't think discover ever has high $$ account opening bonus offers. Citi was easy but slow when I used it in the past (once). I have 7 open entries from the last week though, so I'll see how those go.  They have no stated limit on number of the same item.  1 per day seems annoying.

rated:
I am a big fan of Discover, but I did have a not-so-great experience with their price protection benefit: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1569764

rated:
Do you guys have a method to 1.) track the large purchases 2.) continually quote for price drops?

rated:
Bend3r said:   Too bad I don't think discover ever has high $$ account opening bonus offers. Citi was easy but slow when I used it in the past (once). I have 7 open entries from the last week though, so I'll see how those go.  They have no stated limit on number of the same item.  1 per day seems annoying.

Double the cashback for the first year works out to a pretty nice bonus.  If you get the Miles card you basically earn 3% for the first year.  If you get an IT card and use Discover deals you can still get a nice bonus after the first 12 months.  With no annual fee its a decent card to get and keep for when they have deals.  10% applepay was the win with double cash back.

rated:
daw4888 said:   
Bend3r said:   Too bad I don't think discover ever has high $$ account opening bonus offers. Citi was easy but slow when I used it in the past (once). I have 7 open entries from the last week though, so I'll see how those go.  They have no stated limit on number of the same item.  1 per day seems annoying.

Double the cashback for the first year works out to a pretty nice bonus.  If you get the Miles card you basically earn 3% for the first year.

Don't have enough random non category spend to get an extra ~1% for a year to be equivalent to $500-$1000 for opening other cards.

Yes the applepay deal was tempting.  Didn't jump it (would have had to acquire iPhone(s) too just for during it)

rated:
Bend3r said:   
daw4888 said:   

Double the cashback for the first year works out to a pretty nice bonus.  If you get the Miles card you basically earn 3% for the first year.

Don't have enough random non category spend to get an extra ~1% for a year to be equivalent to $500-$1000 for opening other cards.

Yes the applepay deal was tempting.  Didn't jump it (would have had to acquire iPhone(s) too just for during it)

True, but when you factor in all the Discover Deals, and you get a referral so you get $75 (doubled to $150) the first year, its not hard to get a few hundred in value out of it.  The price protection option for me is worth $100 or more just in time/effort to get deals.

rated:
Finally got to my claims from last month to citi. Submitted 6 identical Amazon claims for the same item through a single email for ~$7 each. Kind of funny I had 6 duplicate sets of 2 jpgs for the claim forms a couple duplicate receipts, but it says 1 claim form per each of the item...

Found 4 other things I bought a couple weeks ago (from one store...) cheaper. Submitted 3 of those through the automatic online part b/c I know the store I'm matching is in their "system" and that I appropriately found it, should be ~$30 back from those but in 2 months, plus $50 from another item (on same receipt as those) that was already updated in their online thing. Submitted 1 other through email vs a walmart 3rd party seller for ~$11.  I went through their terms and they have no exemptions for third party sellers on Amazon /etc, so I'll see how it goes.  The only exclusion listed is "The lower priced item is a going-out-of-business sale item or from an internet auction site." Walmart/Newegg /Amazon aren't auction sites.

Will update timeline when the emailed versions get handled. Hopefully smooth. I checked my sole $80 manual submission from last year and it took almost exactly 2 weeks for it.
The small amounts add up. ~$133 for all of those 11 items together, took me ~45 minutes work (a little longer to set up things for first time though...  Now I'm all set up for next time.  Except the aggravating printing/scanning of the signature page of the form with a new date.).

rated:
Citi much faster than when I used them last year. Of my 2 manual submissions from sunday, one was approved yesterday morning 2am and the other 6(duplicate item) were all just approved now. 2 day turnaround(!)

The other entries I made on the website for automatic adjustment have also updated to expected prices from labor day sale prices.

edit:funds already credited to account on 9/6 for the claims made on 9/3.

rated:
I have learned so much new things from this article. Thanks for sharing this kind of information.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017