• filter:

Get $85 +$25/yr and help the environment - PSEG and Smart Thermostat

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
PSEG Long Island has a special offer:
Receive $85 from us if you have a central air conditioning system and install a qualifying smart thermostat that allows us to make minor, short-term adjustments to your air conditioning that reduce power use during periods of high demand.

https://www.psegliny.com/page.cfm/Efficiency/Programs/SmartSaver...

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I was surprised by the number of qualifying brands. I have a NEST brand smart thermostat and like it. I can monitor it and change settings by cell phone, tablet or online PC applications. It has Home and Away settings. I am unsure why, but I had a problem with it about 18 months into a two year warranty. I worked on line with their chat support. When it could not be resolved, they did not hesitate to replace in including free shipping and free shipping returning the problem unit back to them. With WINK app and some other third party apps, I can do some nice things. There is an option that senses when you leave home and when you are on your way home which changes to the Home setting as you head home.

rated:
My local utility ups the amount offered when you add thermostat(s) over Dec/Jan (last two years anyways). Got $125 twice now.

What I don't like: the terms are very vague. Terms i signed up with said I'd receive advance notification of events and able to opt out of individual events. I've never received the promised notification.

Additionally, there's no specific limit to how much they are allowed to change your thermostat. (Such as, max 2 degrees, max 5, max 10, etc). And changing it screws up the recovery feature with my thermostat. My AC is not oversized, so the utility lowering it 2 degrees for an hour then raising it 4 degrees results in the end temperature still being +3 degrees. And since this is most likely on the hottest days, when I get home at 7pm it's still 3 degrees too warm.

I'm also not sure if ill get $30 in October this year or $60 (since I have 2 thermostats on it now).  I'm considering dropping out due to it costing me more than 30 in hassle and $ to set my thermostat lower while away in anticipation of it raising and not being able to cool by the time I'm back.  I've only noticed demand events a few times, so it has definitely been worth the $280 they've paid me so far.

rated:
Let my utility company decide how much electricity I'm allowed to have?  No thanks.

rated:
dcwilbur said:   Let my utility company decide how much electricity I'm allowed to have?  No thanks.

That's not how this works.  First, it's only for your thermostat.  Second, they can only raise the temperature by 3 degrees.  Third, you can manually override the temperature.  

IMO, the program is a no brainer once you read how it works.  Lots of other utility companies have similar programs

rated:
yanks0114 said:   
dcwilbur said:   Let my utility company decide how much electricity I'm allowed to have?  No thanks.

That's not how this works.  First, it's only for your thermostat.  Second, they can only raise the temperature by 3 degrees.  Third, you can manually override the temperature.  

IMO, the program is a no brainer once you read how it works.  Lots of other utility companies have similar programs

Ours has a device attached to the outdoor AC unit, where they can kill it for 15 minutes increments through the day.  In the 4-ish years, I've yet to ever notice it in action.  But they only give a small ($7 or $8 dollars?) credit monthly and only during the summer months, but it's something for virtually nothing.

rated:
yanks0114 said:   

Sure you can override that manually once you notice (hope that doesn't wake you up at night). But once you've lowered the temperature again, what prevents them from raising it again an hour later? Can you completely shut the feature off (free money despite never letting them adjust your thermostat)?  

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017