• filter:

Attempting my first App-o-Rama

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Ok, so I've been reading about App-o-Ramas here on the FW forums for a little while, and I'm finally ready to attempt one of my own. Hopefully I can get some advice from the more experienced folks on here, based on my current credit situation and the type of perks I'm after.

I've currently got a score of 825 (free Mint score). I have 14 total accounts (5 open), average age 7 years, 7% credit usage, and 2 inquiries (one from a mortgage earlier this year, and one from Cox cable). I have zero loans other than the mortgage. I have one big regret: I had a Chase credit card from 1998 that I closed in 2007. It was my single oldest line of credit (all others were opened 2006 or later), and was always in good standing. I carried a balance which took several years and thousands in interest to pay down. It left a sour taste in my Mouth, so when I finally paid it off, I closed it in haste. I figure it's somehow still boosting my score, but now that it's been closed 10 years, it'll totally fall off at the end of this year. I guess I might as well AOR now, while I have a shot at some really good deals.

Open accounts:
Capital One $0 balance
Amex Blue $0 balance
BofA Alaska card $0 balance (with $75 yearly fee I'd like to get rid of)
Wescom VISA $2k balance ($10k limit, 1% rewards) <- used frequently
Wells Fargo mortgage $420k 4.375% interest

I'm currently in the market for a few big appliance purchases. I'm planning to buy at this weekend's Labor Day sales. I'd like to start my apps Friday or Saturday morning (I realize weekday is better, but the sales are this weekend, and I have to buy and apply same day). Maybe it's better to apply in-store on Monday, then do the rest Tuesday morning? Would appreciate some tips. I frequently shop Best BuyKohls and Amazon, so a few no-brainer apps would be:
Best Buy card (10% off 1st purchase)
Kohls (25% off 1st purchase)
Amazon card ($50 plus 3% rewards)

I'm at a loss for what else to apply for. I don't like to keep a balance long term, and always pay in full each month (again, because of that Chase experience). It'd be cool to get a really high-limit card just to have, but I'm not too interested in racking up a big balance. Although... I should be coming into some extra cash next year to pay down more of our mortgage, so if I could transfer $10-20k from the mortgage to a 0% card, that may not be a terrible idea (although it's not a huge benefit, and the risk still makes me nervous). Mostly though, I'd really like sign-up bonus rewards points, cash, that sort of thing... instant gratification and FREE stuff!

Any cards/deals that would work best for this? Anything in particular that I could only get with a really high score?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

-------
UPDATE: I've decided on these apps. I'll try the first 3 same-day, then move to the others in a few days once the Chase inquiries combine.

CITI Thank You Premiere 50k
CHASE Ink Preferred Business 80k
CHASE Sapphire 55k
Merrill+ VISA Signature 50k
Barclay AAdvantage Aviator Red 60k
Amazon Prime CHASE

HHI: $140k
Score (EX/EQ/TU): 805/792/746
Inquiries (EX/EQ/TU): 1/2/1
Personal CL: $30k
Business CL: $10k

-------
UPDATE (results):

CITI Thank You Premiere - online, instant approval 9/5 for $3k
CHASE Ink Preferred Business 80k - online, in review
CHASE Sapphire 55k - online, in review
Merrill+ VISA 50k - phone, reviewed and approved 9/6
Barclay AAdvantage Aviator Red 60k - online, instant approval 9/7 for $20k

Score (EX/EQ/TU): 783/809/766
Inquiries (EX/EQ/TU): 5/2/2
Personal CL: $53k

9/5
I tried applying to Chase in person, to try and push through business approval first. I visited 3 branches; the first two did not have a business banker available, and the third branch would be a 30+ minute wait (2 people ahead of me). I decided to just apply online, and it says they will mail me within 30 days. In hindsight, perhaps the day after a holiday is not an ideal time to apply for credit cards (at least not with Chase).

Sidenote: Experian has 3 inquiries now, score dropped 25 points to 780.
Other two credit bureaus no inquiries, same scores.

9/6
Still waiting on Chase approval (checking automated phone line).
Applied for the BofA Merrill card by phone and got approved after a few hours manual review.

9/7
Still waiting on Chase approval.
Applied for Barclaycard, instant approval for $20k.
Transunion now has 2 inquiries, score dropped 1 point to 745.
For some reason, Equifax went up 12 points to 804. (no other changes)

9/10
Barclayscard now showing up on Experian and Equifax reports.
Experian inquiries now at 5, score up 3 points to 783.
Equifax score up 5 points to 809.
Transunion score up 21 points to 766. (no other changes)

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Chase has many of the best cards and signup offers. Earning and redeeming is never a problem.

Why???

scripta (Sep. 07, 2017 @ 1:05p) |

Banker availability is always hit or miss. I signed up for two new Chase accounts a couple weeks ago and was annoyed tha... (more)

meade18 (Sep. 07, 2017 @ 1:08p) |

I really like Amex customer service. The only reason I ended up with a VISA business card to start with, is because VISA... (more)

qtchic (Sep. 07, 2017 @ 1:28p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Welcome to 2006

rated:
If you make large payments toward the mortgage, regardless of where you get the money, make sure it's all applied to principal.

rated:
If you're looking to get a store discount, you're going about it exactly backwards. It makes far more sense to first figure out what you're going to buy, then figure out the best place to buy it figuring any sign-up discounts and other offers into the purchase price.

If you want great sign-up bonuses, you're better off looking to see what the big issuers are offering (good options are all over FW and many churning-focused sites). Too late to apply in time for this weekend, though.

Why is a weekday better?

If you don't want to keep paying the fee on the Alaska card, why haven't you cancelled it yet?

You should look into an everyday spender with better rewards than 1%. Discover Miles is 3% for the first year and there are plenty of cards with a flat 2%.

rated:
qtchic said:   It left a sour taste in my Mouth.

This time it will end in tears.

rated:
Maybe SIS will be coming out of retirement to comment on this thread?

rated:
qtchic said:   Kohls(25% off 1st purchase)

If you shop at Kohls, you should definitely have a Kohls card, but don't go crazy for a 25% off coupon. 30% coupons are fairly routine once you are a cardholder.  

rated:
Thanks for the helpful tips!
doveroftke said:   If you're looking to get a store discount, you're going about it exactly backwards. It makes far more sense to first figure out what you're going to buy, then figure out the best place to buy it figuring any sign-up discounts and other offers into the purchase price.
That's right, I've already figured out the appliances I want, and have been very pleased with Best Buy customer service and prices. So I plan to apply for the Best Buy card the day I buy those appliances on sale this weekend.
doveroftke said:   If you want great sign-up bonuses, you're better off looking to see what the big issuers are offering (good options are all over FW and many churning-focused sites).
Apologies, but I'm really not that great at researching the best bonus deals. As you can tell from my history, I've only ever owned a few cards, and I only signed up from offers I received in the mail. Any more specific directions to find the best bonuses, especially ones that require a really high credit score?
doveroftke said:   Too late to apply in time for this weekend, though.
I don't need the other cards this weekend, I just figured I'd roll it all into one big set of inquiries. So Best Buy this weekend, and all the other sign-up bonuses can roll in weeks later (or whenever). I'm just hoping to apply for everything by Monday/Tuesday.
doveroftke said:   Why is a weekday better?
I heard that applying on a weekday means the inquiries go thru instantly, a lot easier to avoid denials for "too many inquiries" from those companies that might wait til the following business day (or a couple days, especially when it's a holiday weekend).
doveroftke said:   If you don't want to keep paying the fee on the Alaska card, why haven't you cancelled it yet?
Good question. The fee will be charged again in November. Until then, I didn't want to rock the boat and close one of my only 4 accounts until I got more card apps lined up. So, I'll be getting rid of it within a month or two.
doveroftke said:   You should look into an everyday spender with better rewards than 1%. Discover Miles is 3% for the first year and there are plenty of cards with a flat 2%.
Yes, absolutely! More than half of my purchases are on Amazon, so their 3% card will be very helpful, but for the rest, it would be nice to get better rewards. I don't travel much, so I'm not sure a Miles card will be ideal for me.
dcwilbur said:   If you shop at Kohls, you should definitely have a Kohls card, but don't go crazy for a 25% off coupon. 30% coupons are fairly routine once you are a cardholder.  
Fair point. They have plenty of similar deals year-round, even for non-card members... maybe not worth bothering with this one. I don't shop there as often as Amazon.
DTASFAB said:   If you make large payments toward the mortgage, regardless of where you get the money, make sure it's all applied to principal.
Great tip! My loan officer said that would be the case... but then the loan was purchased by WF, so I should definitely check on that with the new account.
Chyvan said:   This time it will end in tears.
How so?

rated:
You should be getting at minimum $450 effective value from a new credit card. The cards you listed won't get you anywhere near there.

Research Chase 5/24 rule. If you'll be AoR, you should be starting with Chase cards.

Once your credit score is over 750, it's all the same.

Spend a few hours reading DoctorOfCredit.

rated:
Agree with vegax4x4 -- these cards are terrible. The Amazon card is OK if you have Prime (because the regular 3% for non-prime becomes 5% for prime), but Freedom and Discover often have 5% quarters for Amazon, and I value both of them higher than the Amazon card. Other than Amazon and maybe REI, I would never consider a store-branded card, unless you are spending so much on your first purchase that the first purchase discount is at least $400-$500. After the first purchase those cards will be worthless. Another thing to remember is extended warranty -- most cards give 1 year, but Citi cards give 2 and this can be valuable if you're buying appliances.

Getting high limit cards takes time and depends on your income and spending. You don't have to carry a balance, but you do have to use it. The more you charge, the easier it is to get higher lines.

As for your AOR, get yourself a decent 2% everything card for starters -- Citi DC is the best one. For the rest, get whatever is offering bonuses if that's what you are after. I never bother with anything less than $400 per inquiry these days, and there are a bunch of cards that have a bonus worth this much (just off the top of my head Sapphire, Ink, SWA, United, AA, Spark, Arrival). Just remember that most of them have annual fees, so you'll probably want to downgrade, convert, or cancel before the membership year is up. To reduce the impact of AORs it's good to have lots of open credit cards, but you only have four, so get some cards for keeps. Also beware of the issuing bank limits, like Chase's 5/24. Maybe read this stickied FAQ thread if you haven't yet.

rated:
Head to the r/churning thread at reddit and also creditboards.
You have alot of reading to do before you even attempt this.

rated:
Get better credit cards that offer bigger signup bonuses.

rated:
Discover Miles can be redeemed for cash at the same rate they can be redeemed for Miles.

Week vs weekend doesn't matter, inquiries are added instantly nowadays.

I thought you wanted them this weekend to use your appliance purchases to help you meet minimum spend requirements.

IMHO, forget about an AOR right now. Get yourself a good everyday spender. Decide if you want to apply for the Best Buy card or not.

Keep reading here and other forums which focus on churning and learn more about sign-up bonuses if that's something you're interested in doing. Look at what deals were offered in the past that you would be interested in so you can be ready when the pop up again.

rated:
Unless you are buying over $4000 at Best Buy or over $2000 at Kohls that day, then you are doing the equivalent of winning a jackpot in Vegas, pulling 2 tokens from the winnings and walking away from the machine with the jackpot sitting there.   Have you ever bought a few dollars in groceries at the U-Scan and paid with a $100 bill?  Then walked away leaving your change at the register?  Your AOR plans are much worse.

Read the above sites as others have said. You will want to apply for Chase cards first. In fact if it were me, I'd get 2 Chase cards. Wait 3-6 Months and get 2 more and do your AOR at that time.

If you want to do your AOR now, reasearch the best Chase deals then choose your other cards. Here are the other bonuses I am considering:

Barclay 50K Arrival (3k spend) $500
https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards/barclaycard-arrival-plus-world-elite-mastercard.html
Barclay 1K spend $200 ??? (Bonus not great.  Combine inquiries.)
https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards/barclaycard-cashforward.html
BOA Merril 50K (3k spend) 866-751-1257 and mention the offer. (Call only)
BOA Alaska business 30K +100 (1K spend)
https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/initialize-workflow.go?requesttype=ICAO&campaignid=4020594
WellsFargo Propel 40K (3K spend) 866-932-8736 (Call Only)
Capital One Spark 50K (Capital One pulls all 3 bureaus.)
Capital One Venture 40K
Club Carlson (Personal or business)
BOA Business 25k points (1k spend)
BOA Alaska (Personal or business) 30k (1k spend)

AA 60K (3k spend) NO
60K business (3k spend)TOMORROW
Chase Marriott Business?
Amex SPG Business (5K Min Spend)

rated:
qtchic said:   Thanks for the helpful tips!
doveroftke said:   If you're looking to get a store discount, you're going about it exactly backwards. It makes far more sense to first figure out what you're going to buy, then figure out the best place to buy it figuring any sign-up discounts and other offers into the purchase price.
That's right, I've already figured out the appliances I want, and have been very pleased with Best Buy customer service and prices. So I plan to apply for the Best Buy card the day I buy those appliances on sale this weekend.

following is only applicable/suggested if you are costco member.
  for appliances i will suggest that you take a look at costco and pay with costco citi visa card.
costco offers free install ( including all accessories) + 2 year warranty on appliances, also if you pay with costco citi visa they add another 2 years of warranty which makes it total of 4 years.
and then you can submit price rewind offer to citi on those appliances and they will search for lower price for next 60 days and if they find it lower anywhere they will refund you the difference.
i did with all kitchen appliances and got approx 500 bucks back.

their selection of appliances is limited as compared to Best Buy though.  

rated:
qcumber98 said:   Welcome to 2006

I am guessing FWF is implementing "Memories From Other Days" feature like on Facebook.

rated:
aleck said:   

I am guessing FWF is implementing "Memories From Other Days" feature like on Facebook.

Throwback Thursday.

rated:

rated:
Wow, lots of awesome feedback here! I appreciate your patience, like I said I'm a total noob. I realize store cards aren't the biggest return, they just seemed like easy choices for the type of spending I do. Obviously wanted to apply for "big" bonus cards too, but didn't know where to find the latest deals.

My husband is a Costco member, but they don't have the specific appliances we're looking for. We're getting a $300 water utility rebate for buying a very specific washing machine, and Best Buy carries that model at a great price. We also like their warranty - we've lucked into a brand new plasma, LED, and OLED TV every 2 years so far... spending only a few hundred bucks to upgrade to bigger and better models at the end of each warranty. They also have fantastic Open Box deals - scored a brand new Samsung french 4-door for $1000 this Spring (including warranty).

I'm planning to spend $3000 at Best Buy. I mistakenly thought that I could BT or Cash advance one of my other new cards to meet the "usage" requirements and get the bonus there too... but it looks like most cards exclude that from Rewards. So I can see what you're saying, the big bonus points are far more valuable than the 10% Best Buy is going to give me (since I can't stack it). But, I'm here now, and I can't apply for the other cards in time for Labor Day. So I might have to bite the bullet and take what I can. I usually charge $3k/month anyway, so it shouldn't be hard to meet the other card spending requirements. Of course... if the Labor Day deals aren't AMAZING, I'll skip the BB card and just wait for Open Box (using my other new cards). Maybe that's for the best.

As much as I'd love to wait 3-6 months for the rest of the apps, I may not have the same credit score when my old Chase card falls off the boat. Also taking a paycut for family leave first thing 2018. So I need to get this done asap (I now realize I should have researched a lot more, months ago, but here I am, so...). Based on the advice here I'm considering the following cards (in this order)

Best Buy CITI card 10% off (if good sales)
CITI Thank You Premiere 50k, worth $650 ($3k spend), $95 annual waived 1st year (then downgrade to CITI Thank You Preferred)
Barclay AAdvantage Aviator Red 60k, worth $1060 (ONE purchase), $95 annual NOT waived (then downgrade to AAdvantage Aviator) ** not sure, wont be traveling for a few years
CHASE Sapphire 55k, worth $880 ($4k spend), $95 annual waived 1st year (then downgrade to Chase Freedom)
CHASE Ink Preferred Business 80k, worth $1280 ($5k spend), $95 annual NOT waived (then downgrade to Chase Ink Cash)
Merrill+ VISA Signature 50k, worth $500-$1000 ($3k spend), no foreign transaction fee, no annual fee
Amazon Prime CHASE 5% reward (no 5/24 rule) - I've already got Prime, that will be a big help as my daily spender (since half my purchases are on Amazon. com)

HHI: $140k
Score: 825
Personal CL: $30k

I'm trying to avoid annual fees wherever possible. The 5/24 Chase rule is good to know, but it shouldn't affect me too much. I've only opened one account in the last 2 years (mortgage, does that even count?), and my last credit card was in 2014. So I figure I can safely apply for 4 cards before Chase would start denying me.

I hear CITI is really touchy about multiple inquiries, and they also won't approve you for more than 1 card in 8 days. Does that apply to store cards too? Meaning, if I go for Best Buy, I can't do the CITI Thank You card the next day?

Thanks for the tip on Discover Miles. The only deal I found was 5k though, I don't know if it's worth it right now.

I'd love to apply for another AMEX, but I just don't see any good deals right now. And with their "once in a lifetime" rewards rule I don't want to settle for a junk offer. Anyone know of a good Amex deal right now?

I've heard people saying that you should get Credit Union cards early on, before you start doing a bunch of AORs. Any truth to that? I already have Wescom, any other CUs worth looking at?

Any other thoughts?

rated:
Paying extra for warranty is for suckers. Especially if you pay with a credit card that gives you extended warranty for free.

If you downgrade TYP, whatever points you don't use up will be worth a lot less.

The Chase 5/24 rule doesn't apply to mortgages, but it applies to all credit cards, not just Chase-issued cards, and you've listed 7, so you'll definitely hit it if you don't do it in the right order. Also I don't know what the deal is about getting multiple chase or citi cards simultaneously -- there may be limits on this too. Not sure if store cards count for Citi, and I would avoid the BB card altogether.

Don't know anything about credit unions, never had a credit card from one. I think it may be easier to get cards from them, but you already have major cards and good credit, so I doubt it'll make any difference for you.

rated:

Was it really that long ago!!!!

I guess 2007 for me.

rated:
If you are insistent on getting these cards in this order in a short period of time, you will be rejected for the Chase Ink Preferred. Chase biz cards will auto reject you if you have opened 1 Chase card within 30 days. Chase personal cards will only auto reject if you have opened 2 Chase cards within 30 days (although occasionally someone manages to get past this). You would need to apply for the Ink before the Sapphire if you need to get them within 30 days of each other.

I question applying for the Barclays AA that award miles (not convertible to cash or transferable to partners) if you have to pay an annual fee AND have no plans to travel for years. AA miles have most value when used for international travel on partner airlines, as domestic AAsaver availability has been poor.
If you do travel domestically at all, Chase Southwest cards are the best bang for buck right now. They are 60k points per card on multiple different cards, so you can get 2 of them and qualify for a companion pass (you buy a seat with cash or points, hubby/whoever your companion is can get a ticket on the same flight for just the cost of taxes). If you time it right, you can have the companion pass for a full 2 years starting Jan (whole of 2018-2019).

I would also consider some AMEX cards, although if you don't travel at all you lose out on a lot of the potential value. If you do use hotel rooms, but not flights, AMEX SPG cards might be good options. The Blue Biz Plus is a great card (no annual fee, 2x MR points per $1, does not affect 5/24) but doesn't currently have a signup bonus.

A lot of the points valuations are based on using them for travel, so if you really do not plan to travel at all and would only be cashing out for cashback/gift cards/whatever, do your own research rather than taking valuation information from travel bloggers.

rated:
I guess I'm a sucker for great customer service. I've always had a really great experience with Geek Squad. They cover full repair service for floor models, refurbished, normal wear & tear, and even $200 food replacement if the fridge fails (all excluded from credit card warranties). Last year, they gave us full credit for a brand new TV a month before coming to pickup our old TV from our house (so we'd have time to buy a new one, and wouldn't have to go without).

Good point about TYP downgrade. I'll make sure to use them up beforehand!

So, the Labor Day sales turn out to be crap. But, now they have a $300 gift card deal when you spend $3000 on 3 appliances - perfect! So I'm skipping the BB card app, and I'll start with the AOR on Tuesday. Is that good timing, right after a holiday? Or would Wednesday be better?

CITI Thank You Premiere 50k, worth $650 ($3k spend), $95 annual waived 1st year (then downgrade to CITI Thank You Preferred)
Barclay AAdvantage Aviator Red 60k, worth $1060 (ONE purchase), $95 annual NOT waived (then downgrade to AAdvantage Aviator) ** still not sure, wont be traveling for a few years
CHASE Sapphire 55k, worth $880 ($4k spend), $95 annual waived 1st year (then downgrade to Chase Freedom)
CHASE Ink Preferred Business 80k, worth $1280 ($5k spend), $95 annual NOT waived (then downgrade to Chase Ink Cash)
Merrill+ VISA Signature 50k, worth $500-$1000 ($3k spend), no foreign transaction fee, no annual fee
Amazon Prime CHASE 5% reward (no 5/24 rule) - I've already got Prime, that will be a big help as my daily spender (since half my purchases are on Amazon. com)

rated:
If you are buying appliances, go to Lowes and have them write up the whole order, hoses and cords and accessories and all.  Then ask them to submit it to their corporate office for a bid.  They'll give you an answer in a few minutes, and the price will typically be a contractor discount of somewhere around 12% to 15% on the appliances and maybe 20% or so on any accessories.  You can't stack any other discounts like a credit card opening discount or any other coupon, but it will likely beat your Best Buy price anyway since these stores tend to have their retail prices pretty close to start with.

rated:
Day of the week or holiday makes no difference.

If yakk0's post just above yours is correct, you should switch around Sapphire and Ink.

AA miles expire if nothing is posted or redeemed from the mileage account for 1.5 years. This can be easily remedied if you know what you are doing. Miles could also get devalued before you redeem them. Since you don't travel and probably don't know or care to learn all the rules and tricks, just forget about this card.

The 1.6x value multiplier for Ultimate Rewards points is only correct if you transfer those points to travel partners for redemption. Since you don't travel, their value to you is 1 cent/point. Same for the TYP 1.3x multiplier -- only for travel redemptions.

Minimum spend must be met quickly, usually in 3 months. So if you get all of these at the same time, you'll need to charge 15K in 3 months.

rated:
Great tip! I'll stop by Lowes and try it out.

Yeah I guess you can run a charge on the card every 18 months to reset the expiration on the AA points... But I'm not sure how well they downgrade to the regular Aviation card. I do travel, just only every few years. And we usually go out of country. I'd expect to find a use for the points by 2020, and would be very happy to take a nice trip on the cheap, but unsure if the effort managing points is worth it.

Ok I'll apply for Ink first, thanks! My business doesn't have a lot of credit, is it possible that I get denied for Ink and subsequently get denied for Sapphire too?

I'm definitely interested in the Amex Blue Biz but I also couldn't find any deals.

$8-9k personal in 3 months is normal spending, add appliances and I'll meet $10k easy. My business has a one-time $6k expense coming up in October that will be perfect for the Ink.

rated:
FYI.
App-o-rama
App-O-Rama refers to a strategy of completing multiple credit account applications in a relatively short period of time. The term, as set out in the Wall Street Journal, refers to a frenzy of applications, and most frequently refers to applications for financial products, such as loans, credit cards, and bank deposit accounts.
App-o-rama - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/App-o-rama

rated:
Ok, I've decided on this order of application. The Barclay is a take-it-or-leave-it, so I'm putting it farther down the list. I'll try the first 3 apps same-day, then move to the others in a few days once the Chase inquiries combine.

CITI Thank You Premiere 50k - pulls Experian (possibly Equifax)
CHASE Ink Preferred Business 80k - Experian
CHASE Sapphire 55k - Experian
Merrill+ VISA Signature 50k - Experian (possibly Equifax)
Barclay AAdvantage Aviator Red 60k - Transunion
Amazon Prime CHASE - Transunion

Pulled a more accurate score from all 3 bureaus (the above was a free Mint score)
EX/EQ/TU: 805/792/746

Looks like TransUnion already dropped my oldest Chase card off the roster (it was closed in Aug 2007). We'll see what happens.

Btw, I tried the Corporate Quote at Lowes and Home Depot, but they wanted some kind of proof that I'm a contractor. So I'm sticking with Best Buy, which is fine cause the $300 gift card is still 10% back.

rated:
Ink preferred has a ref 20k bonus also available if you know someone who currently has an ink. (They get the 20k though , not you)

rated:
Alrighty, all set now. Got approved for 3/5 and still waiting on Chase. I'm going to hold off on Amazon until I get a final decision on those two.

At this point, I guess I don't really care whether I get the Chase cards or not. In-branch customer service was lacking, and so I already have my doubts that earning and redeeming points will go smoothly with them. I had a terrible experience with them in the past, and was hoping they had changed since then, but apparently not.

What I really want is an Amex business card. So if I don't get the Chase, maybe I'll just get an Amex even though the bonuses aren't that great right now.

Anyhow... I've been checking my score and inquiries during the app process, and put an update in my original post if anyone is interested in the results.

rated:
Chase has many of the best cards and signup offers. Earning and redeeming is never a problem.

qtchic said:   What I really want is an Amex business card.Why???

rated:
Banker availability is always hit or miss. I signed up for two new Chase accounts a couple weeks ago and was annoyed that I had to go to two branches because of the wait at the first, but I built that time into my expectations. I don't consider that a reason to avoid Chase. If they had 5 bankers sitting around twiddling their thumbs, they probably wouldn't be able to afford the $500+ point bonus I'm getting on my credit card and the $500 cash bonus I'm getting on my bank accounts.

rated:
I really like Amex customer service. The only reason I ended up with a VISA business card to start with, is because VISA is accepted everywhere. But my Blue Amex card has proven to have fantastic service, and I just like the experience I have with them.

I agree, Chase has a lot of the best offers. And fair point that having less bankers means they can afford the cash bonuses (although I seriously doubt they're hurting for money). But I have my reasons to hate Chase, they really screwed me in years prior.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017