• filter:

Compilation of All Credit Card Benefit Policies

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Sorry for the alt id.

I'm looking to create something like a wiki that will have detailed information on all credit card benefit policies (return protection, warranty extension, etc). Not sure exactly how to set it up yet, but looking to start with a spreadsheet with columns such as "Jewelry" then list each credit card and simply have a yes/no in that box (then possibly footnotes/tooltips with details). Ideally, I'd want to set it up where you can choose a benefit you want (return protection, price matching, warranty, etc.) then select the category of item and it would show you all the credit cards that have that benefit associated with them.

Is this something you think is a worthwhile undertaking? Do you think other people would be able to keep it updated as changes happen? I don't really have a profit desire on this so it would be freely available, but that means it's heavily reliant on people keeping it updated. Do changes happen so often it would be too difficult to keep up to date?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
It seems worthwhile, but I also wonder if it'll get the maintenance it would need to keep it useful. And some of the details get pretty complex - rental car insurance steps required and covered countries, for example. But I know I have not taken best advantage of all my card features. Just this week I did use a new one for me - a free tow via Chase Sapphire Reserve. Best way to get the ol' crown vic rescued. For $50, I'd have had an extra business decision to make.

rated:
There have been multiple attempts in the past to unify credit card benefits, although not necessarily to such detail as specific item coverage like jewelry.

The first problem is that the benefits are not universal, AFAIK -- one person's Chase Freedom may not have the same benefit as another person's Chase Freedom. Usually the differences are in Visa and Mastercard service levels (standard, signature, infinite, elite, world elite, etc). Another reason is some accounts can be grandfathered with different benefits (for example, my TY Premier has no annual fee).

And yes, the second problem is maintaining it. The more details you include, the more difficult it'll be to maintain. Personally, I keep notes for my cards with all benefits and most important details. Here, I'll get you started with an example of what I have for CSR:
Purchase Benefits Updated 08/01/2016 only/best/better
Purchase Protection 120 days, $10K/claim, $50K/yr BEST (=TYP,Costco)
Extended Warranty (1 yr on warranties <= 3 yrs) Citi: 2 yrs
Price Protection 90 days, $500/item, $2500/yr, incl. online BEST
Return Protection 90 days, $500/item, $1000/yr TYP,Costco: >$/yr

Travel Benefits Updated 08/01/2016 only/best/better
Foreign transaction fee None BEST (=Cap1,TYP,Amzn)
Auto Rental CDW <= 31 days, $75K, Primary worldwide BEST
Trip Cancellation & Interruption <= 60 days, $10K/trip BEST
Trip Delay Reimbursement >6 hrs or req. overnight stay, $500/ticket BEST
Lost Luggage Reimbursement $500/jewelry & electronics, $3K/person TYP: >$
Baggage Delay >6 hrs: $100/day <= 5 days emergency expenses reimb BEST
Roadsisde Assistance <= $50/incident, <= 4x / year, US & Canada ONLY

The bold items in the second column are a way for me to compare and indicate how this card is better than other cards I have. If a portion of the benefit is not bolded, it means that this benefit is either not the best or simply the same as on many other cards.

Hope this helps.

rated:
Frequent Miler started a section about this today, at least for travel benefits. I'm hoping he'll add coverage of insurance on awards, as it's not universal and subject to various restictions.

If you want your own, I'd suggest just doing it on Flyertalk, which supports wiki posts and has a lot of users that care enough to update it.

rated:
scripta said:   There have been multiple attempts in the past to unify credit card benefits, although not necessarily to such detail as specific item coverage like jewelry.

The first problem is that the benefits are not universal, AFAIK -- one person's Chase Freedom may not have the same benefit as another person's Chase Freedom. Usually the differences are in Visa and Mastercard service levels (standard, signature, infinite, elite, world elite, etc). Another reason is some accounts can be grandfathered with different benefits (for example, my TY Premier has no annual fee).

And yes, the second problem is maintaining it. The more details you include, the more difficult it'll be to maintain. Personally, I keep notes for my cards with all benefits and most important details. Here, I'll get you started with an example of what I have for CSR:

Purchase Benefits Updated 08/01/2016 only/best/better
Purchase Protection 120 days, $10K/claim, $50K/yr BEST (=TYP,Costco)
Extended Warranty (1 yr on warranties <= 3 yrs) Citi: 2 yrs
Price Protection 90 days, $500/item, $2500/yr, incl. online BEST
Return Protection 90 days, $500/item, $1000/yr TYP,Costco: >$/yr

Travel Benefits Updated 08/01/2016 only/best/better
Foreign transaction fee None BEST (=Cap1,TYP,Amzn)
Auto Rental CDW  <= 31 days, $75K, Primary worldwide BEST
Trip Cancellation & Interruption <= 60 days, $10K/trip BEST
Trip Delay Reimbursement >6 hrs or req. overnight stay, $500/ticket BEST
Lost Luggage Reimbursement $500/jewelry & electronics, $3K/person TYP: >$
Baggage Delay >6 hrs: $100/day <= 5 days emergency expenses reimb BEST
Roadsisde Assistance <= $50/incident, <= 4x / year, US & Canada ONLY

The bold items in the second column are a way for me to compare and indicate how this card is better than other cards I have. If a portion of the benefit is not bolded, it means that this benefit is either not the best or simply the same as on many other cards.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this useful information. It is very helpful to understand the benefits of credit cards.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017