Marvel Mastercard, remaining Q4 2017, 3% groceries and 3% bonus on 5k spend

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Archived thread:
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1493313

Well Synchrony wants more spend and has not been happy about its results so far.

For existing customers, they have added Groceries at 3% in September only with a promise of another bonus category in future months if Groceries is used at least once.

I also got an extra 3% at 5000 spend for remainder of 2017 so it could be a 6% card in the key categories such as dining and theme parks (especially if you need to make a big purchase at the ticket booths). Others might have received a better offer, and I think it is just too much for me to reach. I wish they had included Aug as that is when I did my theme park spend.

Edit: Yep, I was right, some got a better offer. 3% on everything, plus an extra 3% at $2500 versus my 3% groceries and 3% at $2500.
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/6xeior/targeted_marve...

I probably should be happy that I have $5k of 3% allowance, but it is a bit harder these days with all of the cards chasing the spend.

Rasheed

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
How long until it moves over to Chase and becomes a Disney Visa Rewards?

rated:
The Marvel Mastercard

It's hard to beat 3% groceries CB w/o having an annual fee.

rated:
They sent me an offer for a free month of Netflix instead.

"Use your Marvel Mastercard as the way to pay for Netflix each month and earn a $9.99 statement credit after 3 months of service.1 That's one month of Netflix on us! Remember, you can earn 3% cashback2 on select entertainment, including digital entertainment. Cashback is automatically paid as a statement credit."

Welp, back to Amex Blue Cash.

rated:
I was offered the Netflix deal and 3% on groceries for the month of September with a bonus 3% "unlocked" by using grocery once. And thens 3% on $5k spend through the end of the year.

Had completely forgotten about this deal when I bought my daughter's Mac Book. I don't think I'll hit $5k spend even if I transfer ALL spending to this card.

rated:
rsuaver said:   How long until it moves over to Chase and becomes a Disney Visa Rewards?

It is not clear how long the Marvel deal with Synchrony is for, but this deal was done specifically because Chase did not contract for Marvel (or maybe Synchrony offered more). Chase did contract for Star Wars and Pixar (and Disney heritage including Animation).

It could happen, but I think Synchrony is going through some issues trying to figure out why this card is struggling. Well, we know why. They didn't throw tons of bonus like Chase does. I think it was a disciplined/healthy decision, just not useful to get customers.

Remember, the theme parks 3% aspect is valid at many Disney competitors including Universal, Six Flags, aquariums, etc.

In order to get to the heavy spend for the bonus, I think one would have to charge things like tuition/property taxes/buy gift cards at theme park ticket booths.

Rasheed

rated:
ablang said:   The Marvel Mastercard 

Not that hard.

rated:
doveroftke said:   

Not that hard

I have the AMEX BCE card.  It doesn't beat the Marvel card.  It only ties it.

rated:
ablang said:   
doveroftke said:   

Not that hard

I have the AMEX BCE card.  It doesn't beat the Marvel card.  It only ties it.

You got me there. Does Marvel have a cap on grocery spend? It may actually beat BCE on that count.

ETA: Though if someone were worried about hitting the cap, they'd probably be better off with the BCP, anyway.

rated:
doveroftke said:   

You got me there. Does Marvel have a cap on grocery spend? It may actually beat BCE on that count.

No limits on earnings.

Rasheed

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017