• filter:

1st time home owners ins. claim

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Water leaked from laundry room to living room. Looks like a clogged drain issue, There is  mold and I filed a claim with ins.  per the water abatement guy They said to call adjuster  AFTER they cut things open.

Any do or don'ts?  when talking to the adjuster? Help if that there were no claims in over 10 yrs?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
other red flag was he said he'd only come out if I was ready to sign assignment to him and not get other estimates??

needhelpplease (Sep. 14, 2017 @ 7:13p) |

Insurance usually pays 3 steps

1) Remediation (Which usually means tear down, dehydrating, polishing to get rid of mold r... (more)

forbin4040 (Sep. 14, 2017 @ 9:48p) |

Great post... We've done 1,2 so far. except I don't think they did any polishing? We passed the test and insurance has p... (more)

needhelpplease (Sep. 14, 2017 @ 10:17p) |

Interested to know why people here are so against home claims  vs. auto? 
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I wouldn't file a claim. I would either negotiate the price with Balfour or find another contractor to do the work for $1k or less.

Up your deductible to $2k and save (self-insure) the difference for these sorts of nuisance claims.

rated:
vadeltachi said:   I wouldn't file a claim. I would either negotiate the price with Balfour or find another contractor to do the work for $1k or less.

Up your deductible to $2k and save (self-insure) the difference for these sorts of nuisance claims.

For Mold, I guess you know how to remove mold properly and a detector?

rated:
Not what I said.

rated:
It's not just the mold it's also rehabbing fixing the drywall etc. in two rooms, paint etc. I have a $500 deductible, mold guy said it could be in the 1000's.

I have never filed a claim in 10yrs. Also I have already reported it to ins. and have a claim # just waiting to call the adjuster.

rated:
I would get a 2nd opinion from another contractor first.

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   I would get a 2nd opinion from another contractor first.

Will do. Balfour works with another rehab contractor who I sent a picture.

My neighbor is a GC but doesn't do insurance

rated:
needhelpplease said:   
ZenNUTS said:   I would get a 2nd opinion from another contractor first.

Will do. Balfour works with another rehab contractor who I sent a picture.

My neighbor is a GC but doesn't do insurance

What's that mean?  Not licensed?

Insurance pays you.  You hire who you want, they don't "do" insurance.  Or you have $0 funds to cover it until insurance pays you and mean that your neighbor won't extend you credit?

rated:
no . I wanted to work with someone who can work with adjusters directly,  says he doesn't have the Xact software for billing codes etc

rated:
I had similar issue few years ago . Put 2 space heaters on both sides of the wall or 48hrs and bought $40 moisture meter off Amazon. 2 days later walls were totally dry per meter, painted wall and put few packets of Mildewcide . Total cost ~$75

rated:
motsuka said:   I had similar issue few years ago . Put 2 space heaters on both sides of the wall or 48hrs and bought $40 moisture meter off Amazon. 2 days later walls were totally dry per meter, painted wall and put few packets of Mildewcide . Total cost ~$75

how did you fix the leak? Mine is definitely internal and small. Need to cut the wall to investigate per multiple plumbers...

rated:
No big deal. Found someone to fix it and move on with your life. Most of the time your insurance won't cover dripping leaks and mold due to those.

rated:
so when IS mold remediation covered?

rated:
needhelpplease said:   so when IS mold remediation covered?
Mold is everywhere!  99% of the time mold is a BS claim.  The insurance companies know this.  Your current dwelling is full of mold like all residential homes.  It's nothing to lose sleep over.  

rated:
You've mentioned/asked a few times, and no claims in the last [insert number here] years has no bearing on the present situation.

Water damage and mold due to slow leaks and are generally not covered by insurance.  Be prepared for a denied claim, and possibly a rate increase.

As others have suggested, you should be addressing this without the insurance company. You also need to raise that deductible.

rated:
In case it's not clear from the other replies, do no file a claim for this.

You may have already done the damage by opening the claim, though. Not sure if calling them and closing it will mitigate any of that damage.

rated:
jamesboy said:   
needhelpplease said:   so when IS mold remediation covered?
Mold is everywhere!  99% of the time mold is a BS claim.  The insurance companies know this.  Your current dwelling is full of mold like all residential homes.  It's nothing to lose sleep over.  

Yep.  So when you go to clean this up.  Dry it out, put a little bleach on it, dry it out again, replace the drywall, patch, putty, sand, and paint.  Call it.

rated:
Ins. Approved $4K+ water remediation bill so far. Once the walls were cut there was huge damage.

Now the reconstruction begins. Should I go with ins. assigned contractor ? other contractor says he'll be an advocate and fight for me.

rated:
needhelpplease said:   Ins. Approved $4K+ water remediation bill so far. Once the walls were cut there was huge damage.

Now the reconstruction begins. Should I go with ins. assigned contractor ? other contractor says he'll be an advocate and fight for me.

In general, I would tend to go with the insurance assigned contractor unless there is a very good reason not to. I dont know the specific contractors you have contacted. But the highlighted statement above is usually salesman talk.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
needhelpplease said:   Ins. Approved $4K+ water remediation bill so far. Once the walls were cut there was huge damage.

In general, I would tend to go with the insurance assigned contractor unless there is a very good reason not to. I dont know the specific contractors you have contacted. But the highlighted statement above is usually salesman talk.

other red flag was he said he'd only come out if I was ready to sign assignment to him and not get other estimates??

rated:
Insurance usually pays 3 steps

1) Remediation (Which usually means tear down, dehydrating, polishing to get rid of mold residue) ($$$$ Depending on Size)
2) Testing (Runs around $600 in Cali)
3) Repair (Drywall, etc). (This is usually the part where you can get your own handyman to do)

Did they give you a fixed amount?

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Insurance usually pays 3 steps

1) Remediation (Which usually means tear down, dehydrating, polishing to get rid of mold residue) ($$$$ Depending on Size)
2) Testing (Runs around $600 in Cali)
3) Repair (Drywall, etc). (This is usually the part where you can get your own handyman to do)

Did they give you a fixed amount?

Great post... We've done 1,2 so far. except I don't think they did any polishing? We passed the test and insurance has paid 1,2 already ($4K)
2) Apparently helps demonstrate we did everything right for our CLUE report/future buyers??

3) Not  a fixed amount  yet. The insurance assigned contractor came out today for an estimate. I'm not sure if I should shop around for 3). Trying to somehow "recover" part of my deductible, but have it done right as well.

I guess I'll get some cash back on my CC or meet spending for bonus. At Least some "good' will come out our hassle.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017